Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Figure Four - ALL Things ECW-WWF-NJPW-TNA-ROH-AEW

TK

Really hornswoggle? That show stunk last night
I don't know if they hired new writers or something, but that show was horrible last night and it seems like whoever came up with that script has never watched wrestling before.

That was pathetic!

Seemed like the last 2 Raws were very good, then they piss in my Cheerios with the show last night. Lawler/Cole + the stupid mic convo afterwards, gave off a nursing home talent show vibe. I didn't even stick around to see the main event because of it.

well i was wrong about the Rock, he'll definitley be at the 1,000th.

That's super.

TNA is putting on multiple four-star matches with solid stories on a PPV. WWE is bringing out a movie star to spout catch-phrases for the millionth time.

Currently, the WWE's biggest selling points are : 1) an 80 pound woman, 2) a movie star who shows up every six months, 3) a midget, and 4) announcers wrestling.

That's super.

TNA is putting on multiple four-star matches with solid stories on a PPV. WWE is bringing out a movie star to spout catch-phrases for the millionth time.

Currently' date=' the WWE's biggest selling points are : 1) an 80 pound woman, 2) a movie star who shows up every six months, 3) a midget, and 4) announcers wrestling.[/quote']

I think that's a bit unfair, but hey if TNA is your thing more power to you. However, i'm not getting behind a company who brings in Brooke Hogan to be the head of their female division....totally stupid. And if we're gonna talk terrible storylines lets talk about AJ/Dixie and Joseph Park/Abyss.....two of the dumbest storylines going on in pro wrestling imo.

WWE is definitley cashing in on the success of AJ, and they'd be stupid not to. Who cares if she's 80 pounds? She's the best female wrestler they have not named Beth or Nattie, and she's MUCH smaller in stature than either of those two. As far as the Rock goes.....he's coming back to celebrate the 1,000th episode and supposedly announce some sort of interest in chasing the WWE title.

Give me the Rock over any single wrestler on TNA's roster. Anyone. Call me a biased attitude era fan, but it is what it is.

The WWE isn't using Hornswoggle as a selling point....come on now. He's a small part of the big show, nothing more nothing less.

I absolutely hated watching Lawler vs Cole last night....so i'll give you that one.

Give me the Rock over any single wrestler on TNA's roster. Anyone. Call me a biased attitude era fan, but it is what it is.

Until The Rock wrestles more than once every six months, I am not going to consider him a part of the roster.

I am a huge fan of Punk and appreciate Bryan, but once this angle is over they will forget how to use them for six months.

I agree that the AJ/Dixie angle is absurd and the Abyss/Park angle ran out of whatever steam it had a while back, but the actual matches in TNA have been better than WWE recently, IMO. Guys like Roode, Daniels, Styles, Samoa Joe, Angle and Aries are capable of putting together matches probably better than anyone on WWE not named Punk, Bryan and Jericho.

I am ready for Brooke Hogan to go away, but let's be honest, it's not like WWE has been serving up great storylines recently.

There is nothing wrong with being an attitude era fan, but that was a long time ago, and at this point, I don't see it coming back.

I just read a review online. Looks like I skipped another bad show.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1253427-the-doctors-quick-wwe-raw-recap-list-the-30-things-we-learned-loved-and-hated

Top female independent star Sara Del Rey signs with WWE

WWE has reportedly signed independent wrestling star Sara Del Rey. Del Rey has established her powerful hard-hitting act in the top independent promotions Ring of Honor, Chikara, and has been the SHIMMER Women's Athletes Champion.

Del Rey has been vocal about not being a "diva" or a model-turned-wrestler and has been pursuing an alternative career path in wrestling, having several matches with men. It will be interesting how the Death Rey makes her star bigger in WWE. Del Rey has worked in the past with current WWE power-diva Kharma, which could be an exciting match-up on the elevated stage of RAW or Smackdown.

To me, The Rock is just a stunt - like Brooke Hogan.

He's not a full-time wrestler. He's never going to be a full-time wrestler. He's never even going to be a part-time wrestler. He is going to come out every six months or so when he has a movie to promote or the WWE writes him a stupidly huge check.

The AJ/Dixie angle was a little soap opera-ry but it led to great matches and it freaking ended. I don't ask for this stuff to be great drama. All I want from angles is motivation for the match. The main problem in the WWE is that the matches serve to further the angles; the angles should serve the matches.

The secondary problem is that the angles never lead to a blow-off. Guys fight. One guy is either completely buried immediately or the wrestlers split the matches 50/50. And then the angle just kind of goes away.

It's pretty obvious I'm an old school NWA guy. I can handle stupid angles. I watched Dick Slater wear a gorilla costume and sit in a cage for an entire episode. And it was the dumbest goddamn thing you ever saw. But it led to Dick Slater beating the piss out of Ric Flair. So...hey...good angle.

Hell, I'm a huge fan of the Kevin Sullivan devil worship stuff from Florida. And those interviews are guaranteed to make you lose IQ points.

(By the way...here is an angle from Florida that someone needs to steal. Dusty Rhodes beats Sullivan in a loser leave town match. Sullivan - unlike every loser of that match in history - does not come back under a mask. During Sullivan's absence, they do an ceremony where Dusty gets some BS award for being the top draw in Florida for a decade - and booking yourself in an angle where you are given an award for being awesome is the most Dusty thing ever.

Anyway, his "sister" shows up at the ceremony. Sullivan sneaks into the ring and throws something at Dusty. Dusty ducks and it hits his "sister" in the eye, blinding her. Dusty wants revenge and demands that Sullivan be re-instated so he can fight him. Sullivan - and here is the genius - refuses to come back.

Just throwing ideas at the wall, but wouldn't something along those lines work perfectly for all these part-timers like The Rock or Brock or Undertaker? Cena beats one of them and in a retirement match. Then something happens and Cena wants them again. But, hey, they are "retired." That's the kind of thing that allows you talk about a wrestler incessantly without them being there and it actually furthers the angle.

Right now, we know The Rock is returning for Raw 1000. Who gives a damn? It's like seeing a Fleetwood Mac reunion. But what if he was coming back, I don't know, for a reason having to do with wrestling? Now, that would be fun).

PS

When was the last time we had a good "blinding" angle in wrestling? Sandman in ECW?

Del Rey has been vocal about not being a "diva" or a model-turned-wrestler and has been pursuing an alternative career path in wrestling, having several matches with men.

What are the odds they are signing her just to bury her? She'll show up and a diva will beat her in 45 seconds.

Edited by Lombardi's_kid_brother

Right now' date=' we know The Rock is returning for Raw 1000. Who gives a damn? It's like seeing a Fleetwood Mac reunion. But what if he was coming back, I don't know, for a reason having to do with wrestling? Now, that would be fun).

[/quote']

The millions... AND MILLIONS... of Rock's fans.

Look, you may not care, but a whole horde of people do.

And besides, I think I see where this whole thing is going.

Rock will come back. He'll go after the WWE Title after Bryan beats Punk at Money in the Bank. He'll win it sometime relatively soon. After he wins it, the WWE Title Money in the Bank winner (Cena) cashes in and defeats the Rock to become the new WWE champion.

All of that said... The RAW anonymous GM pay off being... Hornswaggle... is really stupid. He's someone that I'm 99.9% sure that no one gives a crap about.

Edited by KDawg

Rock will come back. He'll go after the WWE Title after Bryan beats Punk at Money in the Bank. He'll win it sometime relatively soon. After he wins it, the WWE Title Money in the Bank winner (Cena) cashes in and defeats the Rock to become the new WWE champion.

So...we are going to get part-timer Rock to bury Bryan only to let Cena get his heat back from Rock and end up with the title for the 28th time.

That's......fun.......

The end game of this is Cena on top with the belt and Bryan and Punk back in the mid-card. I can only hope that HHH beats Brock so we can get HHH-Cena at some point. Because that's the match everyone wants.

---------- Post added July-10th-2012 at 02:08 PM ----------

Jim Cornette needs to show up somewhere and blind someone with a fireball.

You don't need Cornette. You have the all-time master of the fireball sitting there are ringside.

It just dawned on me how the Lawler-Cole match could have been awesome. Lawler throws a fireball at Cole and Cole has to call Raw blind next week. See, that's stupid but stupid in an awesome pro-wrestling sort of way.

It does drive me crazy that the WWE seems intent on doing stupid angles, but never seem to ask for input from Lawler who is the unquestioned master of the Stupid Angle. No one in wrestling history ever made more money on complete idiocy than Jerry Lawler. Watch a Memphis compilation tape one day. Your jaw will drop. On one of the wrestling boards, someone describe the genius of Memphis Wrestling as "It's the Muppet Show, and Lance Russell is Kermit the Frog."

Edited by Lombardi's_kid_brother

When was the last time we had a good blinding angle in wrestling? Sandman in ECW?

</p>Hell with that, we need another "collapsed my larynx with the ring bell angle." That led to one of the greatest matches in history.</p> Edited by Forehead

Nah...Santino trying to find the anonymous GM is a great' date=' money-making angle. Stephanie knows best.[/quote']

Unfortunately kids love it. Just like with the Hornswaggle angle. When he appeared from under the ring there was such a air of apathy from the adults in the crowd. They did not cheer, they did not boo, they did nothing...because they did not care. But you heard kids laughing and cheering. Mission accomplished.

Unfortunately kids love it. Just like with the Hornswaggle angle. When he appeared from under the ring there was such a air of apathy from the adults in the crowd. They did not cheer, they did not boo, they did nothing...because they did not care. But you heard kids laughing and cheering. Mission accomplished.

I don't get this. The WWF in the 80s was directly aimed at kids. They had a Saturday Morning cartoon for God's sake. I attended a Closed Circuit showing of the first Wrestlemania. The place was crawling with kids. (As opposed to NWA shows which were crawling with scary looking bikers). And they still had angles where people bled and were crippled.

I don't get this. The WWF in the 80s was directly aimed at kids. They had a Saturday Morning cartoon for God's sake. I attended a Closed Circuit showing of the first Wrestlemania. The place was crawling with kids. (As opposed to NWA shows which were crawling with scary looking bikers). And they still had angles where people bled and were crippled.

I don't really know man. I think with as much money as is involved now, there is a tendency to play it safe and be as unoffensive as possible. And I think in the 80's the characters and personalities were directed at kids while the angles were a little more dangerous. Now the angles themselves are more safe and kid friendly and there are not as many larger than life personalities. No red and yellow Hogans, no JYDs, no polka dotted Dusty, no Rockers, no Brutus Beefcake, no Macho Man, no Ultimate Warrior, no Bushwackers...you catch my drift. For example, I was watching the Piper's Pit where he hit Snuka with the coconut the other day...no way that ever airs on WWE programming these days. Those were two personalities that kids loved, but the angle was definitely a little racy.

And for the record, I am not saying that TNA angles are awesome and edgy either. But I don't get the feeling that they are trying to cater to the same clientele as WWE.

Edited by lovetoaster

And for the record, I am not saying that TNA angles are awesome and edgy either. But I don't get the feeling that they are trying to cater to the same clientele as WWE.

An angle doesn't have to be edgy to be good. It just has to be intense. That's what made that Piper's Pit with Snuka so memorable. Piper is completely terrifying in it. On the surface, it's just your standard low-rent 70s/80s racist pro wrestling angle. This stuff was done in Texas, Louisiana, Tennessee, and Georgia for eons. What made Piper different was how much you believed him. That's what made Savage so awesome too.

Compare that to Monday. I like AJ and she is putting her heart and soul into this nonsense. But Punk and Daniel look completely embarrassed to be involved in this angle and just want it to run its course so they can move onto something else. These guys aren't actors. You just can't hand them a script and expect Shakespeare.

Wrestlers get themselves over by doing wrestling things. TNA seems to have found that groove. WWE is so off in left-field right now it's ridiculous.

So...we are going to get part-timer Rock to bury Bryan only to let Cena get his heat back from Rock and end up with the title for the 28th time.

That's......fun.......

The end game of this is Cena on top with the belt and Bryan and Punk back in the mid-card. I can only hope that HHH beats Brock so we can get HHH-Cena at some point. Because that's the match everyone wants.

Never said it was the best idea. Just that I thought it was going to happen.

I think it was LKB who said that the WWE feuds don't last long enough anymore. Well they have a potential goldmine right now if they have AJ join up Daniel Bryan and have them two make CM Punks life a living hell for the rest of the year and have Punk capture the title before "Wrestlmainia Season". They don't even have to wrestle at every PPV, just have them intertwined with each other, ie. match interferences, backstage segments, backstage brawls, etc. Let AJ get the Divas title and they can reign together for a while....

All I want is something fresh. :2cents:

I think it was LKB who said that the WWE feuds don't last long enough anymore. Well they have a potential goldmine right now if they have AJ join up Daniel Bryan and have them two make CM Punks life a living hell for the rest of the year and have Punk capture the title before "Wrestlmainia Season". They don't even have to wrestle at every PPV, just have them intertwined with each other, ie. match interferences, backstage segments, backstage brawls, etc. Let AJ get the Divas title and they can reign together for a while....

I think Punk has completely checked out of this story.

Does anyone follow the Indie scene? I don't attend many shows but, I watch through torrents and YouTube. Promotions like CZW, Pro Wrestling Guerrilla, Vendetta Pro, Dragon Gate USA, CHIKARA, ForceOne, ect..

I'm thinking the next guy to make it big has to be Sami Callihan. His promo work and arsenal of moves makes him a very interesting character.

Didn't bother watching this week's raw (watched the home run derby instead) but AJ's gonna turn on Punk, D-Bry's gonna win the WWE title and it will be spectacular. After that I'm really hoping it ends the CM Punk/Daniel Bryan/AJ feud. It's been really entertaining and they've put on great matches, but it's carried on for too long. Like MLSKINS said, all I want is something fresh. Also it's really weird how entertaining Heath Slater has gotten.