Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Figure Four - ALL Things ECW-WWF-NJPW-TNA-ROH-AEW

TK

Yup. The was a the big match of the night. And...that, came out and basically ended it when Kane ran after her because he's in love.

Last night was the worst thing I've ever seen. Never again.

i'm pretty much at this point myself. I turned the show off and went to sleep when the Alberto Rio match started. It's becoming a chore to watch that garbage.

I have no problem with bringing Lauper in. She is probably in the top ten in a list of most important people in WWF/WWE history. (It's really hard to explain how big her role in the WWF was in 84 and 85' date=' because it just sounds insane now).[/quote']

Lauper was huge in making the WWE mainstream during the rock and wrestling era. Young fans should learn their history and know that wrestling existed long before the NWO and Attitude era.

She should have been the first celebrity inducted to the WWE hall of fame imo.

She should have been the first celebrity inducted to the WWE hall of fame imo.

Vince has been mad at her, because of course he has.

The build-up to her first appearance on Piper's Pit was crazy.

First of all, I don't think people realize just how big she was in 1984. She and Madonna emerged on the scene at the same time, but Cyndi was initially bigger, because she was obviously a better singer and had better material.

So, the fact that the WWF has able to tease her appearance for weeks was insane.

And then, unlike every celebrity in wrestling history, she actually cut a pretty good promo and started smacking Albano with her purse.

This led to women's wrestling actually mattering for while. This may sound insane, but for about three months, Wendi Richter was the most popular wrestler on the planet.

I think you can make the argument that without Lauper, there is no modern WWE.

Lauper was the selling point for MTV to do The Brawl to End it All. There is no way MTV broadcasts wrestling without Lauper's involvement. That led to the War to Settle the Score (Hogan versus Piper), which led directly to Wrestlemania (which Lauper also participated in). I've never bought the myth that Vince would have gone broke if Wrestlemania had failed. But if Wrestlemania had failed, he would have been a regional company for a lot longer.

Edited by Lombardi's_kid_brother

Speaking of young fans knowing their history, I watched that doc on the history of WCW/NWA a month or so ago. That **** was something serious. Ric Flair/Dusty Rhodes were complete badasses.

And I remember watching wrestling as a youngin' (4-6 years old, around '92-'94) some years before the Attitude/Monda Night Wars Era. Looking back on it, it sucked ass...

Speaking of young fans knowing their history, I watched that doc on the history of WCW/NWA a month or so ago. That **** was something serious. Ric Flair/Dusty Rhodes were complete badasses.

And I remember watching wrestling as a youngin' (4-6 years old, around '92-'94) some years before the Attitude/Monda Night Wars Era. Looking back on it, it sucked ass...

IMO, the best era of pro wrestling was 84-89. The years of 85-87 were golden.

IMO, the best era of pro wrestling was 84-89. The years of 85-87 were golden.

Crockett was on absolute fire during those years.

I know I sound like an old fogey, but until he ran out of ideas, Dusty Rhodes was a tremendous booker. What I liked about him was that everything flowed together in a somewhat logical way. And he could take seemingly stupid stuff and make it great but making it more real not more cartoony.

Take Baby Doll (please).

Baby Doll was a 6'1 240 pound woman who held Texas record in shot put. Somehow, Dusty got it into his brain to make her a sex symbol.

She comes in as Tully Blanchard's "Perfect 10" valet. There had been other valets before this, but none of them were bigger than the wrestlers that they seconded. Tully was three inches shorter and maybe 30 pounds lighter than Nickla.

Anyway, Tully and Dusty have a massive feud where Baby Doll regularly beats the hell out of Dusty. This lasts maybe a year and Dusty wins her services for 30 days in a match. During this, The Four Horsemen form. Tully hires JJ and fires Baby Doll and threatens her. Dusty and she had bonded during those 30 days and he comes to rescue her. There is no Russo swerve here; it all flows logically (at least as logical as wrestling gets). Now, she is Dusty's valet/manager. Jim Cornette had issues with Dusty and starts making fat jokes about Baby Doll. Baby Doll towers over Cornette so, he gets the Midnights and Bubba to attack her and he hits her in the stomach with a racket (and pretty much invents wrestler on woman violence though here it kind of makes sense since Baby Doll was so big and tough). This leads to Dusty and Magnum versus the Midnights, which includes the insanely fantastic James Boys angle. (I can't do Youtube at work, but look up Midnights versus the James Boys. It's my favorite ten minutes of wrestling ever). This gets blown off and Dusty transitions back to Flair. In the middle of that feud, Baby Doll turns on Dusty and becomes Flair's valet, because he's Flair and why wouldn't you want to join him? At that point, she fades away from wrestling..but still...that's two years of flawless, perfect booking that turned a scary looking, massive woman into the most over face and then heel in the company.

Compare this to modern WWE which can't get Brock Lesnar over for more than a few weeks and seemingly has no long-term plan for him. Dusty sold out stadiums with Baby Doll versus Jim Cornette as the second main event. Does anyone actually want to see Lesnar versus HHH?

Edited by Lombardi's_kid_brother

Another question. Though he's got a ton of mileage on him at this point compared to Rock, what do you guys feel are the odds of seeing another Rock/HHH match? It reeks of excess nostalgia I know, but I would really like to see that happen someway, somehow. I mean the list of guys worthy of Rock feuding with is pretty small.

Edited by Mr. Sinister

Another question. Though he's got a ton of mileage on him at this point compared to Rock, what do you guys feel are the odds of seeing another Rock/HHH match? It reeks of excess nostalgia I know, but I would really like to see that happen someway, somehow. I mean the list of guys worthy of Rock feuding with is pretty small.

Since I don't see Rock going away completely, but I don't see him wrestling with any of the "stars" not named Cena, I think it will happen.

The WWE has basically created this part-timer's group that is far more intriguing than the rest of the roster.

The WWE has basically created this part-timer's group that is far more intriguing than the rest of the roster.

And that is sad.

I would love to see CM Punk and The Rock would be great. I would love to see a Orton/Lesnar feud (just throwing stuff out there) .

I just got an idea. It would be nice if The Rock and CM Punk had a little feud for the WWE Championship sometime around No Mercy/Elimination Chamber. Then Stone Cold comes and cost CM Punk the title. That way you will have The Rock with the belt heading into Wrestlemainia and the feud that we all want Stone Cold vs CM Punk....

I keep hearing those rumors about Austin, though I I'm not sure what to believe.

I wouldn't mind Rock/Punk, even though it seems like Punks star has faded slightly. i remember around this time last year, dude was on fire.

I guess you can say it is faded, but that is what happens when you are forced to be second fiddle to John Cena.

It's funny, I watch wrestling every week just to see if they will finally do something good. I am consistently disappointed.

But what they did on Monday in not putting Zach Ryder on RAW just proves to me that they are stupid....

You just don't understand booking.

The way to get a wrestler over is to have him beaten weak after week and made to look like a fool. You never let him get his heat back. Then you take him off tv. At this point, he will have learned to respect the business. And that's when he gets over. And that's when you have Cena go over him while smirking.

I could be a WWE writer, couldn't I?

Crockett was on absolute fire during those years.

I know I sound like an old fogey' date=' but until he ran out of ideas, Dusty Rhodes was a tremendous booker. What I liked about him was that everything flowed together in a somewhat logical way. And he could take seemingly stupid stuff and make it great but making it more real not more cartoony.

Take Baby Doll (please).

Baby Doll was a 6'1 240 pound woman who held Texas record in shot put. Somehow, Dusty got it into his brain to make her a sex symbol.

She comes in as Tully Blanchard's "Perfect 10" valet. There had been other valets before this, but none of them were bigger than the wrestlers that they seconded. Tully was three inches shorter and maybe 30 pounds lighter than Nickla.

Anyway, Tully and Dusty have a massive feud where Baby Doll regularly beats the hell out of Dusty. This lasts maybe a year and Dusty wins her services for 30 days in a match. During this, The Four Horsemen form. Tully hires JJ and fires Baby Doll and threatens her. Dusty and she had bonded during those 30 days and he comes to rescue her. There is no Russo swerve here; it all flows logically (at least as logical as wrestling gets). Now, she is Dusty's valet/manager. Jim Cornette had issues with Dusty and starts making fat jokes about Baby Doll. Baby Doll towers over Cornette so, he gets the Midnights and Bubba to attack her and he hits her in the stomach with a racket (and pretty much invents wrestler on woman violence though here it kind of makes sense since Baby Doll was so big and tough). This leads to Dusty and Magnum versus the Midnights, which includes the insanely fantastic James Boys angle. (I can't do Youtube at work, but look up Midnights versus the James Boys. It's my favorite ten minutes of wrestling ever). This gets blown off and Dusty transitions back to Flair. In the middle of that feud, Baby Doll turns on Dusty and becomes Flair's valet, because he's Flair and why wouldn't you want to join him? At that point, she fades away from wrestling..but still...that's two years of flawless, perfect booking that turned a scary looking, massive woman into the most over face and then heel in the company.

Compare this to modern WWE which can't get Brock Lesnar over for more than a few weeks and seemingly has no long-term plan for him. Dusty sold out stadiums with Baby Doll versus Jim Cornette as the second main event. Does anyone actually want to see Lesnar versus HHH?[/quote']

You know your NWA.

TNA has fired Ric Flair, so hopefully he'll be back with WWE soon.

IMO Flair should be Dolph Ziggler's mentor / manager in WWE. TNA was using Flair PERFECTLY when he first arrived in 2010 when A.J. Styles was his front man.

IMO Flair should be Bobby Heenan and whoever they pair him with should be Nick Bockwinkel. Connected at the hip forever, no splitups six months into it.

TNA has fired Ric Flair, so hopefully he'll be back with WWE soon.

IMO Flair should be Dolph Ziggler's mentor / manager in WWE. TNA was using Flair PERFECTLY when he first arrived in 2010 when A.J. Styles was his front man.

IMO Flair should be Bobby Heenan and whoever they pair him with should be Nick Bockwinkel. Connected at the hip forever, no splitups six months into it.

Now I know they could be lieing, but WWE did say this last week:

“First, and as I advised you orally on the phone during our recent conference call, WWE has not solicited Ric Flair to leave TNA and enter into a contract with WWE. WWE has made no offer to Flair and has no intention of doing so.

Second, as I also advised you, WWE has not solicited any other current TNA talent to repudiate their contracts and enter into a contract with WWE. WWE has no interest in current TNA talent.”