Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Figure Four - ALL Things ECW-WWF-NJPW-TNA-ROH-AEW

TK

That new ECW DVD that just came out, GO GET IT. Disc 1 has a TV Title match, outdoors, between Dean Malenko & Eddie Guerrero that makes RAW look like you're watching bass fishin on the couch on a lazy Saturday afternoon.ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz

What? I used to get into those two fishing shows that used to come on before NWA wrestling on WTBS backin the 80's.

If you remember this show, then you're a true NWA fan.

---------- Post added June-9th-2012 at 04:28 PM ----------

And there's late breaking news that Christain will be at TNA's Slammerversary tomorrow night.

Edited by DM72

Sting is the first inducted to the TNA hall of fame. I don't think he should have been the first, but I understand why they did it.

Also, tonights crowd in Texas is TNA's biggest crowd on American soil.

It's been debated.

Some say Orton was pissed because Kofi sold Dibiase's move to get Kofi off of Orton in the corner. Which, in that case makes it Dibiase's botch in my eyes, but I guess Orton is said to have taken it out on Kofi because he thought Kofi should have had more sense than to sell the move. In other words, he was mad at Kofi because he sold Dibiase's attack when he shouldn't have, making it look unbelievable to the fans.

The other explanation i've heard is that Orton wanted to go for the skull punt, and Kofi got up too soon. Orton pushed him down and Kofi got up again which drove Randy nuts. He had to do his fist pounding taunt quickly while Kofi was already on his feet, then hit him with a less than forgiving RKO. Watch the way Orton quickly jerks his head in frustration right before he hits it.

Those are the only explanations i've heard for it anywas. I'll tell ya something though, Kofi's a professional laying there listening to Orton's little hissy fit. I can't believe dude threw a tantrum like that in the ring....he's been known to be a freakin' hot head.

Whatever Orton wanted to do doesn't matter. When someone makes a misstep in the ring, you roll with it. That's what professionals do.

Ric Flair managed to wrestler 4-star and 5-star matches with Kerry Von Erich who probably didn't know what city he was in. Do you think Kerry occasionally did something unexpected in the ring?

Actually, Kerry and Lawler had a really good match during the one joing AWA-USWA-WCCW pay per view when all three promotions were dying and decided to briefly band together. Kerry was so screwed up before the match that he sliced his bicep open with a blade that he was trying to hide in his wrist tape. So what did Lawler do? Started the match by working on Kerry's arm and "busting him open" there.

Be a pro for God's sake.

Might be the match of the year so far. This has been a very good PPV. TNA needs to take all their PPV's on the road.

One of the best tag matches I've seen in a long time. Kinda wish they would have kept the belts on Kaz and Daniels a little longer though.

My rundown of last night:

Samoa Joe vs. Austin Aries - ****

Great opening match, was good to see Joe compete in an X division match again. Will be interesting to see where the X division goes if they start to push Aries for the Heavyweight title.

Kid Kash vs. Hernandez - **

It wasn't a bad match, it just had no point. I mean neither guy has been on TV in months so...yeah.

Devon & Garrett Bischoff vs. Robbie E & Robbie T - *

So tired of the Robbies, Garrett and Madison showing up every time these guys wrestle. Hopefully this is the end of this storyline.

Mr. Anderson vs. Jeff Hardy vs. RVD - ***

Solid but not spectacular match. Kind of surprised by the outcome though. Trying to revive the push on Anderson?

Crimson vs. James Storm - **

Kind of hard to rate this one as it was pretty much a squash match for Storm. Glad he's back though.

Brooke Tessmacher vs. Gail Kim - **

Pretty much everything I expected here. They've been pushing Brooke alot over the past month or so but I could have done without yet another "fluke" type finish.

Bully Ray vs. Joseph Park - **

Maybe I was expecting to much but this was the most disappointing match of the whole card in my eyes. The fake Abyss finish was just dumb. Hopefully this storyline is over as well.

AJ Styles & Kurt Angle vs. Kazarian & Christopher Daniels - *****

Hands down match of the night. Entertaining from start to finish, and the springboard shooting star was incredible.

Sting vs. Bobby Roode - ***

As far as a main event goes, this was pretty bland. Then again, it was hard to follow up the tag match. The beer bottle to the head finish is getting old, but I'm assuming this was done to set up another match with James Storm (which is fine by me).

Overall I think it was a really good PPV, probably their best of the year. Outside of the Devon & Garrett vs. the Robbies match, I was entertained through out the whole show.

The wrestling boards are all on fire about TNA' date=' which is the first time that has ever happened.

I've never watched more than 20 minutes of that promotion, but now I'm intrigued.[/quote']

I am happy to hear that...I like TNA, but their changes of direction have been maddening over the years. It has always been a solid alternative, especially since WWE has sucked for a while, in my opinion. I have always thought TNA was better actual wrestling, but their storylines have been a trainwreck at times. They have a solid roster and if they actually did the right things with it, they could make a little noise. Not saying they could ever challenge the Stamford behemoth, but they could be a good alternative for those that don't like WWE or have soured on it for whatever reason. Plus any competition is good for everyone.

I am happy to hear that...I like TNA, but their changes of direction have been maddening over the years. It has always been a solid alternative, especially since WWE has sucked for a while, in my opinion. I have always thought TNA was better actual wrestling, but their storylines have been a trainwreck at times. They have a solid roster and if they actually did the right things with it, they could make a little noise. Not saying they could ever challenge the Stamford behemoth, but they could be a good alternative for those that don't like WWE or have soured on it for whatever reason. Plus any competition is good for everyone.

Apparently Bruce Pritchard is booking now. Pritchard has always known what he was doing.

I can't stand Mike Tenay (as an announcer). That alone keeps me from watching TNA.

Yeah, I never did like him that much. Great mind, but his voice is just kinda generic. But it is not like Michael Cole is a great broadcaster either. When I watch, I just sort of tune him out. At least they got rid of Don West a while back.

if anything, Cole makes it easy for me to flip off WWE. I'm amazed how they don't realize how he's just not a good character heel. Him being annoying has everything to do with bad storylines and now just letting him do what he does best. Just call the match. No good guy/bad guy about it.

I can't stand Mike Tenay (as an announcer). That alone keeps me from watching TNA.

This is what I don't understand. Why does it seem like TNA is held to a higher standard than other promotions. Michael Cole isn't good and the King needs to retire but that won't keep people from watching the WWE week in and week out.

---------- Post added June-11th-2012 at 02:38 PM ----------

I've never gotten the need for announcers to be heels. It really doesn't sell, to me, any of the wrestlers or angles.

I even found this to be true for me when Lawler and/or the Brain Heenan were heel announcers.

I agree. I liked the NWA announce teams back in the 80's. There were no heel announcers.

if anything, Cole makes it easy for me to flip off WWE. I'm amazed how they don't realize how he's just not a good character heel. Him being annoying has everything to do with bad storylines and now just letting him do what he does best. Just call the match. No good guy/bad guy about it.

I just don't think he is a good announcer though. Neither is Tenay. I wish there was another Jim Ross or Gordon Solie out there right now, but I don't see it. WWE has a pretty good announcer on their payroll in Joey Styles, but he has not actually announced in quite some time. I don't know if he would even be interested in returning to the announce table after having a VP job for a while, but it would be nice for TNA to snap him up. I have to imagine that his life is pretty comfortable right now though.

But as for the Cole angles, regardless of everything else, they have to go. There are some announcers that can pull that kind of stuff off, and he is not one of them.

I agree. I liked the NWA announce teams back in the 80's. There were no heel announcers.

I'm pretty sure that Roddy Piper actually invented the "heel color commentator" role in Georgia Championship Wrestling back in '81 or '82. (GWC is what got me into wrestling in the first place). You can find some clips on youtube, but it's absolutely brilliant stuff. What made it fascinating is how serious he took it. He was always incredibly respectful towards Gordon Solie, calling him "Mr. Solie." He generally would call the match straight, but he would these subtle digs in throughout the matches. And it led to a major feud with the Armstrong family that had nuclear heat. And then a few months later, he suddenly turned face, when Don Muraco dared to put his hands on Solie.

Piper was so far ahead of his time on the mic it was scary. The big faces were guys like Tommy Rich doing an "Aw shucks...I just love my fans" boring country boy routine. The heels were guys like Superstar doing boring "I'm going to beat up so and so" promos while getting cheap heat by insulting high school football teams and stuff. Then Piper comes out and does this post-modern stuff in a plaid sport coat.

Anyway...enough history lesson.....

I'm fine with a heel color man, though it's basically a cliche at this point.

I don't get the play by play guy being a heel. Basically, your lead voice is annoying your audience at that point. It's counter-productive.

I could really go for an overly excited fan like David Crockett right now. It would seem so refreshing just to have someone marking out all the time.

---------- Post added June-11th-2012 at 03:13 PM ----------

I just don't think he is a good announcer though. Neither is Tenay. I wish there was another Jim Ross or Gordon Solie out there right now, but I don't see it. WWE has a pretty good announcer on their payroll in Joey Styles, but he has not actually announced in quite some time. I don't know if he would even be interested in returning to the announce table after having a VP job for a while, but it would be nice for TNA to snap him up. I have to imagine that his life is pretty comfortable right now though.

I always thought Styles was highly over-rated. He matched the low-rent feel of ECW but seems really goofy when in a real arena. He would have been at place in an old-fashioned studio show like Georgia or Memphis I think.

I don't watch MMA, but I assume they have announcers. I would steal the best one and overpay him and have him treat it like a real sport.

I always thought Styles was highly over-rated. He matched the low-rent feel of ECW but seems really goofy when in a real arena. He would have been at place in an old-fashioned studio show like Georgia or Memphis I think.

I don't watch MMA' date=' but I assume they have announcers. I would steal the best one and overpay him and have him treat it like a real sport.[/quote']

I liked Styles when he was more low key. I loved his snarky remarks and his sarcastic digs, but he seemed to go over the top at everything after a while. Not everything is the most awesome thing ever. It is the same reason I grew tired of Gus Johnson. Very talented broadcaster, and can put together a great highlight reel. But you don't need to get overly excited about everything that happens.

And with MMA, you would be surprised. There is really not a whole lot out there. Mike Goldberg does the play by play for the main UFC events and Jon Anik does the secondary cards. Either of those guys would be great, but I don't think they are going anywhere any time soon. The guy in Bellator, the other main organization, Sean Wheellock, is OK, but he is more of just a generic broadcaster, in my opinion. The sport is still relatively young and there are not a lot of experienced play by play guys out there just yet.

I'm pretty sure that Roddy Piper actually invented the "heel color commentator" role in Georgia Championship Wrestling back in '81 or '82. (GWC is what got me into wrestling in the first place). You can find some clips on youtube' date=' but it's absolutely brilliant stuff. What made it fascinating is how serious he took it. He was always incredibly respectful towards Gordon Solie, calling him "Mr. Solie." He generally would call the match straight, but he would these subtle digs in throughout the matches. And it led to a major feud with the Armstrong family that had nuclear heat. And then a few months later, he suddenly turned face, when Don Muraco dared to put his hands on Solie.

Piper was so far ahead of his time on the mic it was scary. The big faces were guys like Tommy Rich doing an "Aw shucks...I just love my fans" boring country boy routine. The heels were guys like Superstar doing boring "I'm going to beat up so and so" promos while getting cheap heat by insulting high school football teams and stuff. Then Piper comes out and does this post-modern stuff in a plaid sport coat.

Anyway...enough history lesson.....

I'm fine with a heel color man, though it's basically a cliche at this point.

I don't get the play by play guy being a heel. Basically, your lead voice is annoying your audience at that point. It's counter-productive.

I could really go for an overly excited fan like David Crockett right now. It would seem so refreshing just to have someone marking out all the time.

---------- Post added June-11th-2012 at 03:13 PM ----------

I don't watch MMA, but I assume they have announcers. I would steal the best one and overpay him and have him treat it like a real sport.

I was mainly talking about from 85-89. Where they had Schiavone, Bob Caudle

David Crockett, Chris Cruise and Jim Ross.

And I agree with you about Joey Styles. Overrated.

Edited by DM72

I was mainly talking about from 85-89. Where they had Schiavone, Bob Caudle

David Crockett, Chris Cruise and Jim Ross.

I liked Schiavone but he oversold things quite a bit at times. I would not mind having him back in wrestling, but I don't think he was the most well liked guy behind the scenes. And just because...

schiavone.jpg