Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

"Breakfast Club" principal dies

steveo21

gleason.jpg

BURBANK, Calif. (May 28) - Paul Gleason, who played the go-to bad guy in "Trading Places" and the angry high school principal in "The Breakfast Club," has died. He was 67.

Gleason died at a local hospital Saturday of mesothelioma, a rare form of lung cancer linked to asbestos, said his wife, Susan Gleason.

"Whenever you were with Paul, there was never a dull moment," his wife said. "He was awesome."

A native of Miami, Gleason was an avid athlete. Before becoming an actor, he played Triple-A minor league baseball for a handful of clubs in the late 1950s.

Gleason honed his acting skills with his mentor Lee Strasberg, whom he studied with at the Actors Studio beginning in the mid-1960s, family members said.

Through his career, Gleason appeared in over 60 movies that included "Die Hard," "Johnny Be Good," and "National Lampoon's Van Wilder." Most recently, Gleason made a handful of television appearances in hit shows such as "Friends" and "Seinfeld."

Gleason's passions went beyond acting. He had recently published a book of poetry.

"He was an athlete, an actor and a poet," said his daughter, Shannon Gleason-Grossman. "He gave me and my sister a love that is beyond description that will be with us and keep us strong for the rest of our lives."

Actor Jimmy Hawkins, a friend of Gleason's since the 1960s, said he remembered Gleason for a sharp sense of humor.

"He just always had great stories to tell," Hawkins said.

Gleason was survived by his wife, two daughters and a granddaughter. Funeral plans were pending.

:(

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/local/states/california/northern_california/14690208.htm

That is really sad. He was great at playing the part of the jerk. Some of my favorite quotes of his outside of The Breakfast Club include:

"We're gonna needs some more FBI guys." - Die Hard

"I'll rip out your eyes and piss on your brain" - Trading Places

That is really sad. He was great at playing the part of the jerk. Some of my favorite quotes of his outside of The Breakfast Club include:

"We're gonna needs some more FBI guys." - Die Hard

"I'll rip out your eyes and piss on your brain" - Trading Places

There is one scene that I could watch all day from Trading Places that makes me laugh hysterically every time I see it. And it is so simple....

He is talking on a pay phone...someone knocks on the door and he simply looks at them and says "F*** off!"

There is one scene that I could watch all day from Trading Places that makes me laugh hysterically every time I see it. And it is so simple....

He is talking on a pay phone...someone knocks on the door and he simply looks at them and says "F*** off!"

:laugh: I know, I still almost piss myself everytime I watch that scene. It is just the way he delivers the line that makes it so classic.

Chicks.. Cannot hold their smoke. That's what it is...

Granted, he didn't say that line, but my favorite from one of the greatest 80's movies of all time.

RIP.

i always thought the line went, "the cheeks cannot hold the smoke, that's what it is", because his cheeks were puffing out when he said it. i could be wrong though, now ill have to watch with CC on.

i always thought the line went, "the cheeks cannot hold the smoke, that's what it is", because his cheeks were puffing out when he said it. i could be wrong though, now ill have to watch with CC on.

no it's "Chicks cannot hold day smoke, dats wut it eeeiiis"

That's a shame. He's one of those actors whose name you don't know, but you always recognize when you see them.

Another line from Die Hard which always cracked me up was

"I think they're going for the lights!"

Heh heh. What an insufferable blowhard. :)

Brilliant work, Gleason. We'll miss it.

That's a shame. He's one of those actors whose name you don't know, but you always recognize when you see them.

Another line from Die Hard which always cracked me up was

"I think they're going for the lights!"

Heh heh. What an insufferable blowhard. :)

Brilliant work, Gleason. We'll miss it.

Oh yeah Die Hard! forgot he was in that. Lets see.. hmmm

"I guess we're gunna need some more FBI guys"

Archived