Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Thora Birch - Was she underage in American Beauty?

NoCalMike

From IMDB...

Was actually only 16 years old at the time she was filmed nude for a scene in American Beauty (1999). She told TV talk show host Craig Kilborn when she appeared on his show in 2002 that her parents didn't have a problem with her doing a nude scene, despite her being under age, and they encouraged her to go ahead and do it. They agreed that her character's nude scene was so important to the development of her character that they gave their approval.

F.Y.I. Brooke Shields was far under-age when she went naked in that Robert DeNiro flick--I think it was the Taxi Driver or something like that........

Jodie Foster, not Brooke Shields.

Shields did bad stuff in another movie - Pretty Baby I think. That, and Blue Lagoon.

This stuff happened a lot before the 80's and still does in Euro movies.

How is that legal?

From Wikipedia...

That same year, she won critical praise by playing Jane Burnham in American Beauty which eventually won the Academy Award for Best Picture. Some consider it to be her first adult role; she was only 16, and thus a minor in the United States, when the movie was made, therefore her parents had to approve Birch's brief topless scene in the movie. Her parents and child labor representatives were on the set for the shooting of the scene.

So if a parent decides to exploit their kid it's okay?

Im not buying that.

Slippery slope imo.

Yeah, there's some famous photographer who takes 'artistic' pictures of his whole family nekkid. He has kids ranging from toddlers to teenagers - they all appear nekkid. Exploitive and just downright weird.

nekkid = no clothes thanks to my work filters. :)

F.Y.I. Brooke Shields was far under-age when she went naked in that Robert DeNiro flick--I think it was the Taxi Driver or something like that........

Jodie Foster was in Taxi Driver, she was 14, but i dont think she got naked

I am not complaining or anything, I just didn't know that as long as your parents approve of something, then it negates the law. I mean in some ways I think it is actually a good thing, like for example if my parents think I am mature enough at 15 to see an R rated movie without them, then I should be able to....(Well back when I was 15, they didn't even care anyway and let me buy a ticket by myself)

Archived