Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

US fumes as Iraq backs Israel boycott

Sarge

SOmetimes, we're such schmucks :doh:

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1145961373594&pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FShowFull

The US-backed Iraqi government sent an official representative to this week's meeting of the Arab League Boycott Office in Damascus, The Jerusalem Post has learned, prompting criticism from members of Congress and the Bush administration.

Liaison officers from 14 countries met for four days this week to discuss ways of intensifying the Arab embargo against Israel. Among those taking part were delegates from several ostensible US allies, such as Iraq, Morocco, Saudi Arabia, Qatar and Kuwait.

Tom Casey, a spokesman for the US State Department, told the Post that Washington was unhappy with Baghdad's action.

"We are disappointed by the decision of the Iraqi government to attend this meeting, and will be noting our concerns with Iraqi officials," he said. "We have raised this issue with Iraqi officials in the past and expect to raise it with them again."

"The US position on the Arab League boycott is well known," Casey noted, adding that "perpetuation of the Arab League boycott does greatest harm to those who participate in it by hampering their efforts to develop their economies."

Members of Congress were also critical of the Iraqi move.

Rep. Paul Ryan, a member of the House Ways and Means Committee, told the Post that "the US government has been very successful in negotiating the cancellation of Israeli boycotts from many countries throughout the Arab world. This would appear to be a big step in the wrong direction on the part of the new Iraqi government."

Ryan, a Republican, said he expected Washington to bring the matter up with Baghdad. "We should make our position clear, just like we do with every other Arab government," he said.

Contacted by phone, a spokesman for the Iraqi embassy in London declined to comment.

According to figures released this week by the Israel Export Institute, there has been a 46 percent rise in Israeli sales to Iraq (valued at $320,000), with 27 exporters active in that market dealing primarily with the US military.

That's the fundamental problem with sacrificing thousands of lives and spending billions of dollars to liberate a country in order to set up a free self governing society. Their value system may not match your own.

Well, what did you really expect? That they'd adopt our views in a matter of years?

This is why Bush-I knew what he was doing. You can't go in without a legit plan to finish up, and get out.

No, you go in and say, "You're gonna do this and you're gonna like it"

BUt that would be mean :rolleyes:

No, you go in and say, "You're gonna do this and you're gonna like it"

BUt that would be mean :rolleyes:

No it would mean the administration lied out of their ass.

Believe it or not Americans aren't interested in wars of conquest as much as the rest of world thinks we are.

It's their country and their govt... let them learn on their own the consequences of their actions... .mainly the economic hit for boycotting Israel. Also tell them their actions will shut the spicket of money coming into their country.

I figured this would somehow be spun into a good thing. Wouldn't this mean that the government is finally making decisions on their own?

I mean, Bill O'Reilly (and others) boycott of France wrecked their economy, right? Iran already changed "Danish" pastries to "Muhammad buns" or something like that, a la the whole Freedom Fries incident.

Doesn't this mean that they are accepting our way of doing things?

Don't we still have an embargo on Cuba? The Sudan?

Should they invade instead, a la our current government?

I'm confused on this one and Sarge's use of the :doh: emoticon. It hardly seems :doh: worthy.

It is funny in a strange way...The counties boycotting Israeli products manufactured by palestinian workers who they support ;)

Oh well, I suppose they will have to use the old method of selling to a middleman THEN selling to the Arabs :laugh:

I mean, Bill O'Reilly (and others) boycott of France wrecked their economy, right? Iran already changed "Danish" pastries to "Muhammad buns" or something like that, a la the whole Freedom Fries incident.

:laugh: I get a strange mental picture from that phrase. Not one they would appreciate I'm sure. At least our corny misnomers are better than theirs.

In my opinion, Bush's biggest mistake wasn't going into Iraq, but trying to set up a democratic government. It will never completely work. We should have set up a U.S. friendly dictator who rules with an iron fist. We wouldn't have this insurgency problem today. Plus, we could keep a large military force there permanently without anyone squawking.

Your right Joe Sick:

This is a good thing and shows how well we've done over in Iraq...

Good to see your fully on board now!

:)

So we can start pulling out troops right? :D

We might have to wait until they propose a "sanctity of marriage amendment" to know they are truly a developed government...

In my opinion, Bush's biggest mistake wasn't going into Iraq, but trying to set up a democratic government. It will never completely work. We should have set up a U.S. friendly dictator who rules with an iron fist. We wouldn't have this insurgency problem today. Plus, we could keep a large military force there permanently without anyone squawking.
That plan developed a few small wrinkles in Iran.

Sometimes I think the US cares too much about what is happening to Israel. Let them boycott Israel, it's not going to hurt Israel anyways, we'll just give them more aid.

You should run for President. You're as logical as the incumbant. ;)

Archived