Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

USA Today- Sports Weekly- Special Supplement Issue: Power Rankings

88Comrade2000

Talk about an odd ranking... Eagles ahead of the cowboys? Only ranking 11 teams? New England 6th?

By the end of the season they are going to be very wrong.

They ranked all 32 teams- I wasn't going to spend the time to do post all 32. Go to the newstand and read that special issue.

Can't get much more accurate than that!

On a side note:

>>>Originally Posted by fight_on_til_you_have_won

Jack Kent Cooke: Why the hell did you take my name off the stadium?

Dan Snyder: Uhhhhh........<<<

This would've never happened. Had the old man lived, the last thing he would've done is named the stadium after himself. He intended to sell naming rights.

NFC East Prediction is exactly how im predicting it. The thing is, Chicago is in a division with a bunch of teams rebuilding so they will be good. Especially since they have Cedric Benson, Thomas Jones , Brian Griese, and Muhsin Muhammad with a pretty solid offensive line on that offense. Don't be suprised if you see Chicago representing the NFC in the Super Bowl.

Steelers won't be on top again. Their run as the #6 seed was the story of 2005 and a feel good for Cowher, who people had criticized unfairly in the past. But this squad performed over its talent level to a degree. I would not be surprised to see the Steelers miss the postseason in 2006 or go in as a wildcard again.

Carolina has improved itself and along with the Redskins are my picks to be left standing in the NFC in January.

Cincinnati won't be that good of a team if Carson Palmer doesn't return to health. All depends upon that since Jon Kitna went to the Lions. Also their defense has been hit or miss.

New England may be starting down the road of gradual decline. It's hard to tell with this team. They were always smarter and more cohesive than they were flat out talented as a squad. Does the same chemistry exist as in 2003 or 2004?

On a side note:

>>>Originally Posted by fight_on_til_you_have_won

Jack Kent Cooke: Why the hell did you take my name off the stadium?

Dan Snyder: Uhhhhh........<<<

This would've never happened. Had the old man lived, the last thing he would've done is named the stadium after himself. He intended to sell naming rights.

:doh: I don't know how you could've missed this, but it was a JOKE. :rolleyes:

interesting that people think we have a HUGE deficiency at QB. when comparing Brunell, Bledsoe and Manning and McNabb i dont see any huge deficiency in anyone.

yes Brunell was behind in some stats but....

he has the best overall QB rating - 85.9

second to McNabb in avg NFL rank

tied for second in passing TD's

lowest percentage of INT's - 2.2%

so where Brunell does lack in some of the more glamorous catogories i dont see how he equals "huge deficiency". at least not within our division.

here is the link to the comp. page i used....

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/headToHeadResults?statsId1=2485&statsId2=2359&statsId3=6760&statsId4=4650&type=QB

I understand that Brunnell has a lot of fans around here and that he actually had a couple of good games but he is this teams biggest weakness any way you slice it. I mean he chose not to compete in the playoffs. Will he do it again? I dont know but its the biggest question for this team this year. But as I said before, this team is good enough to overcome his deficiencies. Just as they were last year.

I understand that Brunnell has a lot of fans around here and that he actually had a couple of good games but he is this teams biggest weakness any way you slice it. I mean he chose not to compete in the playoffs. Will he do it again? I dont know but its the biggest question for this team this year. But as I said before, this team is good enough to overcome his deficiencies. Just as they were last year.

Sorry man, maybe down there you can treat your players like that, but there isn't a player on this team who chooses not to compete. Brunell (For Christ's sake get his name right if you're going to bash him) competed while injured, and I don't think that you can ask for more than that.

Here's their Top 11.

1. Pittsburgh

2. Indianapolis

3. Carolina

4. Seattle

5. Denver

6. New England

7. N.Y. Giants

8. Cincinnati

9. Washington

10. Philadelphia

11. Dallas

You gotta like that grouping. I don't really argue with the numbers. We're all gonna have a few loses under our belts from inside the division. Philly over Dallas is a little surprising, but its entirely possible.

']Look at your offensive numbers against Tampa Bay. Your offense had nothing to do with you winning in Tampa Bay. Portis had 53 yards rushing. Brunell had probably the worst game of his career. Your defense scored 7 of your points. The Redskins barely had over 100 yards of offense. It was hardly an impressive win.

Call it an excuse all you want. Teams were ramming it down the Giants' throat at the end of last year. Do you really think they will be able to do that with the players who will be taking the field in the beginning of the season?

Yeah, in Tampa Bay, our defense, bruised as it was, stepped up for our crippled offense. Apparently, your defense was crippled-- but where was your offense? Even with Eli's hurt arm, you folks should have been able to put up a little more resistance than what you did.

:wtf:

Yeah that wasn't him in there with a knee brace fighting through a knee injury, throwing TD passes trying rally against the Seahawks :doh:

Don’t you think you might want to change the word passes from plural to singular? He threw one TD pass in TWO playoff games. If you word it that way you could say he was throwing interceptionS because he threw just as many INTs as he did TDs. Fact is, he just didn’t do much of anything to talk about. If you don’t think he is the weakest link the team then who is it? Is it the O-line? Doubt it...How about the Wrs? Nope....Maybe Portis or Cooley? Nah... Ok, I know it’s the Defense? Not a chance!....The question mark is right beside the number 8 on his jersey.

Don’t you think you might want to change the word passes from plural to singular? He threw one TD pass in TWO playoff games. If you word it that way you could say he was throwing interceptionS because he threw just as many INTs as he did TDs. Fact is, he just didn’t do much of anything to talk about. If you don’t think he is the weakest link the team then who is it? Is it the O-line? Doubt it...How about the Wrs? Nope....Maybe Portis or Cooley? Nah... Ok, I know it’s the Defense? Not a chance!....The question mark is right beside the number 8 on his jersey.

Do you realize how many mistakes that you have with your grammar in this post alone?

Wow I had a typo, you really proved my point wrong there! :laugh:

01/14 @SEA 37 Att. 22 Comp. 59.comp. % 242 Yards 1 TD. 0 INT. 87.9% QB rating

Yeah he really didn't compete at all :rolleyes:

I think the Skins really don't have any weak links.

Brunell's numbers show he was consistent all season , and only his Yards total dropped (as did his attempts) after the injuries to Patten & Thrash. But his accuracy only suffered after his injury against the Giants, for the only two games, the Eagles game at home & Tampa Bay in the Playoffs, but we were still able to win the games.

He only had 2 games before the injury where he completed less than 55% of his passes NYG away game, and against Oakland at home, he had only two games where he had multiple INts (Tampa on the road game 1 [2 ints] and Against Arizona on the road [3 Int]) He had 10 ZERO int games

His attempts went way down after Pattens injury, Before Pattens injury 290 attempts in 9 games, he had 5 games of 30 attempts or more (1 game 41 attempts, and 1 game 52 attempts)... where after Pattens injury 164 attempts in 9 games, he had only one game of thirty attempts (2 games under 20 Attempts, 11 against the Giants at home, and 15 attempts against Bucs in the playoffs)

In 9 games with Patten Brunell had 2007 yards passing, In 9 games after Pattens injury 1043 yards ... almost half as many.

His YPA before Pattens injury 6.92, After 6.35 Hardly a big drop off, which suggests that his game didn't level off the second half, only his passing oppurtunities without a viable #2 threat to prevent Moss & Cooley from being double covered.

He's knee injury in the Giants game could happen to any QB, and had nothing to do with his age... and one point everyone is ignoring... something I might add that Gibbs values a great deal......, Brunell's many years of game experience. His understanding of the passing game, and ability to read defenses, make plays, and avoid mistakes (turnovers).

Sorry but stating Brunell is old, brittle, and the "weakest link" is completely false.

9777ef6d.jpg

I would like to see the stats of how many teams run the ball against the Giants on 3rd and 5 or longer next year. Ill bet anything they lead the league. I believe they goofed in the offseason and therefore could easily finish in the basement. Of course they could do well but my money is on a let down. 1- Skins 2- Cowpukes 3- Smeagols 4- Vagiants.

#8 beats the hell out of Bledsoe. And our backup beats the hell out of Kyle Farnsworth or whatever your backups name is. Talk about question marks.

Wow I had a typo, you really proved my point wrong there! :laugh:

01/14 @SEA 37 Att. 22 Comp. 59.comp. % 242 Yards 1 TD. 0 INT. 87.9% QB rating

Yeah he really didn't compete at all :rolleyes:

I think the Skins really don't have any weak links.

Brunell's numbers show he was consistent all season , and only his Yards total dropped (as did his attempts) after the injuries to Patten & Thrash. But his accuracy only suffered after his injury against the Giants, for the only two games, the Eagles game at home & Tampa Bay in the Playoffs, but we were still able to win the games.

He only had 2 games before the injury where he completed less than 55% of his passes NYG away game, and against Oakland at home, he had only two games where he had multiple INts (Tampa on the road game 1 [2 ints] and Against Arizona on the road [3 Int]) He had 10 ZERO int games

His attempts went way down after Pattens injury, Before Pattens injury 290 attempts in 9 games, he had 5 games of 30 attempts or more (1 game 41 attempts, and 1 game 52 attempts)... where after Pattens injury 164 attempts in 9 games, he had only one game of thirty attempts (2 games under 20 Attempts, 11 against the Giants at home, and 15 attempts against Bucs in the playoffs)

In 9 games with Patten Brunell had 2007 yards passing, In 9 games after Pattens injury 1043 yards ... almost half as many.

His YPA before Pattens injury 6.92, After 6.35 Hardly a big drop off, which suggests that his game didn't level off the second half, only his passing oppurtunities without a viable #2 threat to prevent Moss & Cooley from being double covered.

He's knee injury in the Giants game could happen to any QB, and had nothing to do with his age... and one point everyone is ignoring... something I might add that Gibbs values a great deal......, Brunell's many years of game experience. His understanding of the passing game, and ability to read defenses, make plays, and avoid mistakes (turnovers).

Sorry but stating Brunell is old, brittle, and the "weakest link" is completely false.

9777ef6d.jpg

I apologize then....I thought you were stating that he threw multiple TD passes in the playoffs and I knew that didnt happen. Otherwise, I thought he played well during a 3 game stretch last year that included Den, KC and SF. After the SF game his play really seemed to regress as the season went on until it bottomed out in Tampa. Then it had no where to go but up.

We are playing the Vikings. Everybody scores 40+ points on the Vikings. It is when we score 40+ in week two at Dallas that will start the band wagon moving. As far as the rankings are concerned, it does not matter in May. All that matters in January and February.

good point

:logo: :logo: :logo: :logo: :logo:

The way the Giants finished the season, plus the fact the Skins were 1 blown call from the NFCE championship, had a better division & conference record, won in the playoffs and we're the most improved team during the off-season....., I can't see ranking them above the Skins

Bubba, I think the Giants are still the team to beat in the division. Eli and the offense have another year together, so expect them to be as good, if not better. Their defense added a ton of new faces in their secondary (their biggest weakness last season) and some guy named LaVar to go with Pierce, Strahan and Osi.

I have no problem with us being listed behind them for now. If everyone listed the 'Skins first and the team didn't win the division we'd have to hear it. This way, those expectations are on New York.

Archived