Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is the big deal about jersey numbers?

Neophyte

I have watched thread after thread go up on this board with people worried/speculating/agonizing/excited about what jersey number what new member of the team will wear. Or what number some older member of the team will change too.

So I ask, what is the big deal? I am really curious about this. I just don't see a reason to care unless on of the "retired" numbers is to be used (and I don't see that happening real soon). Why all the time and energy blown on this subject?

It is kind of pointless for us to worry about this. However , the reason is because athletes are obsessed with having the # they want. It is a superstition , and will be for all time.

If athletes change #'s and dont play well , they will blame it solely on the new # !

Besides, we want to know what # our favorite players will be wearing , for when were sportin there jerseys around !

If I were a player, it would matter to me. As a fan, I couldn't care less. I have enough Brad Johnson, Champ, LaVar jersies collecting dust in my closet to remind me to never purchase another 'new' jersey under this regime...

I fully understand why the players get attached to jersey numbers. I just don't get the speculation on the part of fans. Until there is a jersey to buy it does not make a difference to me. I am more worried about WHO is on my team than what number they may or may not be wearing. Nor do I care what the number looks like.

I am reminded of when Eric Dickerson came into the league and chose to wear the #29. Someone suggested to his coach at the time (I believe it was John Robinson) that it was not a great number for running backs and would look odd. Robinson responded that the number did not make the player but rather the other way around (I am paraphasing because I don't remember the exact quote).

It is kind of pointless for us to worry about this. However , the reason is because athletes are obsessed with having the # they want. It is a superstition , and will be for all time.

If athletes change #'s and dont play well , they will blame it solely on the new # !

Besides, we want to know what # our favorite players will be wearing , for when were sportin there jerseys around !

Agreed! A team is all about 'unity'... especially a Gibbs coached team!

The jersey number gives an identity to the player, he is easily Identified with his number by fans and media!

The jersey number is the part of the uniform that is different from player to player. The player has ownership of his number... plus, call it comfortable, personal, superstitious... it's all the same! Their numbers are as important as their names!

Athletes have items which are comfortable to them; shoes, pads, helmets etc...

If a player has always wore Nike cleats... The stay with Nike... The number is the most important thing...

Randy Thomas = 77

77 = Randy Thomas

As a Redskins fan... You see 77 and think Randy Thomas! If I see a 77 in a packers jersey, I still think Randy Thomas!!!

Athelete's are the most supersticious people on the face of the earth. I remember Gilbert Arenas saying when he has a bad first half he'll change the jersey and shorts at halftime or how Eli Manning paid their punter (Feagles I think his name is) an all expensive paid trip for him and his family just to have his number.

It's something they associate with performing well to have the number that you're used to having. Even if they can't have that number they'll find creative ways in getting it. (Dennis Rodman choosing 91 with the Bulls because 9+1 is 10) or Shane Matthews choosing 6 because 9 was retired (because when he looked down it looked like a 9).

Some athlete's could care less (Sean Taylor comes to mind) and neither do I. But hey if it's something that will make him feel 'complete' by having it I say to each his own.

For the same reason people get their jersey number retired, or in the Redskins case, not officially retired but not given out. You respect the accomplishments of whomever wore that number. Because football players are covered up helmets, you look for the number on the field. Everyone remembers 44 bursting threw the line. Or 81 catching the pass over the middle. 7,9,17,28,33,44,49,81 these are all hallowed numbers. You probably won't see anyone with these numbers again. So current players, you pick a number and hope to make it special. It is routine for new players to come and pay a lesser guy an amount of money for a number(Portis, Ohalette). Players get attached to numbers just like fans. You are identified by your numbers. When people talk they say boy I know when 56 is behind me that he has my back. Or if 28 has got him covered it free's me up to blitz. Numbers are defining characteristics in football because that is all you see mostly. Most other sports you can actually see faces so you don't neccesarily care about numbers. You look for the face of the basketball player, the baseball player. Aside from Jordan, how many famous numbers in Basketball can you name, or baseball. Everyone knows #4 as Brett Favre, #80 as Jerry Rice, #56 Lawrence Taylor, #16 Joe Montana.

For the same reason people get their jersey number retired, or in the Redskins case, not officially retired but not given out. You respect the accomplishments of whomever wore that number. Because football players are covered up helmets, you look for the number on the field. Everyone remembers 44 bursting threw the line. Or 81 catching the pass over the middle. 7,9,17,28,33,44,49,81 these are all hallowed numbers. You probably won't see anyone with these numbers again. So current players, you pick a number and hope to make it special. It is routine for new players to come and pay a lesser guy an amount of money for a number(Portis, Ohalette). Players get attached to numbers just like fans. You are identified by your numbers. When people talk they say boy I know when 56 is behind me that he has my back. Or if 28 has got him covered it free's me up to blitz. Numbers are defining characteristics in football because that is all you see mostly. Most other sports you can actually see faces so you don't neccesarily care about numbers. You look for the face of the basketball player, the baseball player. Aside from Jordan, how many famous numbers in Basketball can you name, or baseball. Everyone knows #4 as Brett Favre, #80 as Jerry Rice, #56 Lawrence Taylor, #16 Joe Montana.

Well you can actually go down the listing in both sports (Basketball and Baseball) I think with baseball it's more difficult because of it's such a long history that you would truly have to be a fan. Basketball's history is maybe not as long but because of the Bird/Magic era it really put the NBA on the map as well as big television contracts etc. etc..

Football is different because you don't see their faces on the field that's why you have self promoters such as T.O. or Chad Johnson who celebrate the way that they do. Call them brash or arrogant S.O.B.'s but they are aware that there's money in promotion. (BTW Jason Campbell has #17)

I have watched thread after thread go up on this board with people worried/speculating/agonizing/excited about what jersey number what new member of the team will wear. Or what number some older member of the team will change too.

So I ask, what is the big deal? I am really curious about this. I just don't see a reason to care unless on of the "retired" numbers is to be used (and I don't see that happening real soon). Why all the time and energy blown on this subject?

It is all about substitutions in the NFL. That is why the rule was originally installed.

I could care less also. I am kinda still irritated that Taylor dumped 36 for 21 though. It doesn't suite him... :rolleyes:

It's just the off-season. The team made some FA splashes and then had only one first day Draft pick. Fans are chomping at the bit to discuss anything football related..... Player numbers included. There are a ton of them going around.... There are all of the "change the uniform" threads that seem to pop up once or twice a week. There are the "best of" division threads that keep popping up... Remember all the craziness before the draft about who would get selected or what trade would get the team into the first round?.... Then there are the occasional "albiet ludicrous" Maddenesque trade threads with the team sending Taylor Jacobs or James Thrash to some team for their first round draft pick and a pro-bowl calibur player......

Basically, it's just fans needing very badly to chat about anything Skins related. That's all.

Archived