Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A Warning to Women in Florida !

Mickalino

Believe it! I went to the University of Florida, and the gators would occasionally come up out of Lake Alice. (I used to love it when some student's parents from up north would come visit, because my dorm backed to Lake Alice. "See that floating out there? That's not a log.")

There's a lake south of Gainesville, Lake Wauberg, reserved for students and faculty -- you can't swim outside the roped off area, and even that gets closed down when there are too many alligators around.

If you visit Florida, whatever you do, don't walk your dog beside a canal or near any body of water, really. Attacks on humans used to be pretty rare -- but alligators snatch up dogs all the time.

Just hit them on the nose if they try to attack you.

They hate that.

But they love it if you rub their belly. Puts 'em right to sleep.

Next came one of the most amazing things I had yet to see in my young six year old life. The indian picked up a handful off wet sand from the pond bank and proceeded to rub it all over the stomach and underside of the alligator. The alligator didnt seem to mind and just laid there on the wet sand motionless as if it was sound asleep.

Kensgators

:applause:

until gators start knocking at doors or flagging down vehicles, i chalk this up to people putting themselves in dangerous situations.

There was a story on the local news about a month ago. A gator came from the lake, and for over an two hours tried to get into a house. It was going at the front door so hard, it bloodied itself trying. The house had security cameras that captured the entire thing.

I had heard that before too but I was watching the National Geographic channel and they said there was no need to do that on land, that alligators can not run as fast as the average human. It's around the edge of the water and in the water where you need to worry.

Not true. The one close encounter I had with a gator was on a service road into a tomato farm. The canal was at least 25 ft away. Gators come out of the water to lay in the sun in the cooler weather to warm themselves being cold blooded.

Here is a pic of what someone found when they walked into a room at Kennedy Space Center. This guy snuck in.

These are from my Uncle who works at the Cape and Kennedy Space Center

I did a sleep over at the space center a few years ago. They bragged about their free security force of 1100+ gators, and told us not to wander away from the building we were staying.

Or you could POKE EM WIT A STICK! :D They hate that too.

We are invading their space, same with Shark Attacks, what do you expect.

That's how I had my close encounter, with a stick playing "Goose the Gator"

I do agree that with many types of wildlife, we have encrouched on them. I don't buy it with sharks though. I think the sharks figured out we're just an easy meal................

I grew up in central florida on a lake and I never saw a gator. Only started to see them as an adult. As kids we "knew" there was supposed to be one or maybe two gators in the canals - especially the canal on the far side of the lake across the street but I never worried about gators. I was terrified of the water moccasins (cottonmouths) that my brothers told me would jump up and bite me as I was water skiing. I love swimming pools. Clear see-to-the-bottom swimming pools.

Are you telling me that there were gators in the springs I used to go to? My brothers told me there were no gators or snakes in the springs. I could have been killed.

A similar problem exists in the northern areas of Australia. We don't have gators, they're called crocodiles, and they are just as nasty.

There are two types of crocs: Salt Water and Fresh Water. Freshies are a lot smaller and not as aggressive (they will attack if cornered), but Salties are known to attack anything and everything that moves.

How the authorities can blame the gators for what's happening in Florida is beyond me. The gators were there long before humans, so people need to be aware of the dangers.

Do you blame the shark in a shark attack? You enter the water, you take that risk. The same can be said for gators and crocs.

A similar problem exists in the northern areas of Australia. We don't have gators, they're called crocodiles, and they are just as nasty.

There are two types of crocs: Salt Water and Fresh Water. Freshies are a lot smaller and not as aggressive (they will attack if cornered), but Salties are known to attack anything and everything that moves.

How the authorities can blame the gators for what's happening in Florida is beyond me. The gators were there long before humans, so people need to be aware of the dangers.

Do you blame the shark in a shark attack? You enter the water, you take that risk. The same can be said for gators and crocs.

Steve Irwin is that you?

I grew up in Central FL as well and most summers I swam in lakes almost every day...and lived to tell about it. Sure there's gators down thar but heck there's something everywhere. You just have to be careful and use common sense.

Besides, have you ever been to FL? Telling folks to avoid lakes and canals is like telling them to avoid sand and mosquitoes.

Archived