Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A Warning to Women in Florida !

Mickalino

Stay away from Alligator areas !

There's been 3 attacks on women in Florida by allgators, in less than a week.

All 3 women died....one of them was about 20 miles from me.

A few months ago there was a 4th alligator death in the area here, and that was also a woman.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060515/ap_on_re_us/alligator_attacks

2 More Fatal Fla. Gator Attacks Reported

MIAMI - The bodies of two women, both apparently killed by alligators, were found Sunday less than a week after a similar death in a state that had seen just 17 confirmed fatal attacks by the animals in the previous 57 years.

A 23-year-old woman staying at a secluded cabin near a spring that feeds into the Lake George was attacked at a recreation area, said Marion County Fire-Rescue Capt. Joe Amigliore. The lake is about 50 miles southeast of Gainesville.

"The people she was staying with came around and found her inside the gator's mouth," Amigliore said. "They jumped into the water and somehow pulled her out of the gator's mouth."

The woman, whose name was not released, was pronounced dead at the scene. Her stepfather, who had tried to help her, was treated on the scene for a hand injury, said Amigliore.

In Pinellas County, the death of another woman whose body was found early Sunday in a canal 20 miles north of St. Petersburg also was blamed on an alligator, authorities said.

The woman's body had been in the water for about three days, authorities said.

She suffered animal bites that were consistent with an alligator, which "did play some part in the victim's death," according to a preliminary autopsy. The cause of death was pending and the medical examiner's final report will not be released for at least four weeks, the sheriff's office said.

"We don't know the condition she was in when this happened," said state wildlife spokesman Gary Morse.

It was not immediately known why Judy W. Cooper, 43, of Dunedin, was in the area where wildlife officials said alligators are frequently spotted.

Authorities were baiting traps in their searches for both gators Sunday.

On Wednesday, construction workers found the dismembered body of a Florida Atlantic University student in a canal near Fort Lauderdale. A medical examiner concluded that the 28-year-old woman was attacked near the canal bank and dragged into the water.

On Saturday, wildlife officers captured an 9-foot, 6-inch alligator in Sunrise that they believe fatally attacked Yovy Suarez Jimenez while she was out jogging.

Suarez's death was the 18th confirmed fatal alligator attack in Florida since 1948. Nine other deaths are unconfirmed, mainly because it was not clear whether the person was already dead when the alligator attacked.

What provoked the attacks in three separate Florida counties was unknown, but state wildlife officials said alligators are generally on the move looking for mates and food this time of year.

"As the weather heats up, the alligators' metabolism increases and they have to eat more," Florida Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission spokesman Willie Puz said Sunday. "They might be moving more, but that just shouldn't mean increased alligator attacks."

Florida residents are warned not to swim in heavily vegetated areas, feed wildlife or walk pets near the water, especially between dusk and dawn when gators are more active, Morse said.

"There are some things that can cause alligators to associate people with feeding opportunities," Morse said.

Do they really have "alligator areas" in Florida. Like, areas marked off with fences and stuff? Thats crazy!

actually they aren't fenced...( where I was ).....they have open ponds at parks that children play around all the time....not to mention the everglades....kinda scary growing up there......

17 in 57 years and 3 in a week? I smell a serial killer.

:laugh:

I'll show ya a map.....look.....

RED=unfenced gator lakes with playgrounds and picinic tables abroad

Blue= the mesurements roughly of them....

green= salt water bodies of water ( Gulf of mexico ) ( river on right )

P.S. at least 1.5 million live in this county so it's pretty packed on weekends.....

There are two things playing into all the gator action right now. Gator mating season, and low water levels due to drought. People have no clue just how fast those suckers can move, and their very agressive during mating season.

People have no clue just how fast those suckers can move, and their very agressive during mating season.

Reminds me of those Grizzly bears in Alaska

Their speed is very under-rated, incredibly fast for such big, clumsy-looking creatures. And they are aggressive during salmon season

I don't know. It seems sad to me. I'm not going to sit and here and joke about it. I'll tell you this much. I'm moving south to get away from the winters up here, but there is a reason I'm not going as far south as Florida . . . GATORS! And that is the truth. I knew that they were pretty abundant down there. Taking a swim in a pond or lake down there is like playing a deadly game of lottery. NC does have some gators, but not many and their not as big as down in Florida.

People have no clue just how fast those suckers can move

There IS one sure way to get away from one, if they're chasing you on land.

Just run zig-zag.

They may be able to run a straight line real fast, but they can't move side-to-side very well.

Do they really have "alligator areas" in Florida. Like, areas marked off with fences and stuff? Thats crazy!

Also if you go to any golf course in the south including SC expect to see a gator. also they are building on their swamp land wich causes them to try to find food and new homes.

I think theres a real simple solution to all of this. People need to stop being so damn stupid, I for one do not swim in any lakes or ponds in Florida. I do not go near any area where gators are notoriously hanging around. I do not walk my dogs around the edges of lakes. I know it's Florida and people want to be in the water yada yada yada. Go get in a pool, you can see whats in the water.

. I'll tell you this much. I'm moving south to get away from the winters up here, but there is a reason I'm not going as far south as Florida . . . GATORS! And that is the truth. I knew that they were pretty abundant down there. Taking a swim in a pond or lake down there is like playing a deadly game of lottery. NC does have some gators, but not many and their not as big as down in Florida.

But if you're going to go to Florida, and you want to swim, but you're afraid of alligators, then why swim in ponds or lakes, when you got beaches everywhere ???

I think theres a real simple solution to all of this. People need to stop being so damn stupid, I for one do not swim in any lakes or ponds in Florida. I do not go near any area where gators are notoriously hanging around. I do not walk my dogs around the edges of lakes. I know it's Florida and people want to be in the water yada yada yada. Go get in a pool, you can see whats in the water.

:applause:

until gators start knocking at doors or flagging down vehicles, i chalk this up to people putting themselves in dangerous situations.

17 in 57 years and 3 in a week? I smell a serial killer.
Plot outline for the season opener of Criminal Minds.

Just run zig-zag.

They may be able to run a straight line real fast, but they can't move side-to-side very well.

That doesn't help when you get ambushed which is what they do.

Just run zig-zag.

I had heard that before too but I was watching the National Geographic channel and they said there was no need to do that on land, that alligators can not run as fast as the average human. It's around the edge of the water and in the water where you need to worry.

This is a horrible thing, but it's largely avoidable if people would use some common sense. I may be a Yankee, born and raised, but even I know that you don't wander around the inland waterways of Florida without running a fair risk of encountering gators.

Now obviously familiarity breeds contempt and I'm sure that there's a lot of the "we've walked in that area for YEARS and never seen a gator in that pond" lines going around with the people in these areas right now, but that just brings the point home even sharper in my mind.

Hopefully something good will come out of these horrible events and people will begin to pay much more attention to the environment around them in the recreational areas they frequent. Maybe I just see it differently because I frequent several areas and trails with my horses where I have to be aware of the potenial for encounters with several different lower level predators; but I just find it difficult to believe that these people were totally unaware of the potential dangers around them.

Just run zig-zag.

That's not true.

I have heard the same thing, but I listened to a game warden who captures these things all the time.(he had only one eye, and he was basicly an american version of croc dundee)

And he said that's just a myth.

That's not true.

I have heard the same thing, but I listened to a game warden who captures these things all the time.(he had only one eye, and he was basicly an american version of croc dundee)

And he said that's just a myth.

Is the fact that he had "one eye" connected to how fast the gators were ?

Archived