Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I love you Mom

Tarhog

In high school,(and the years following into about my second year of being in the service), I was one painfully shy young man. No really. I was scarey shy. Could break out in a cold sweat just thinking about asking a girl out. I had an on again off again crush on a girl named Shelly for most of the 4 years of highschool. It was time for the senior prom and she had recently broken up with her boyfriend. I was wondering what I should do. Mom, direct as ever, asked me point blank if I was going to ask Shelly to the prom. It went something like this:

Mom: "Well. Are you going to ask her to the prom?"

Me: "Ummm...well...I don't know. I guess I may. I asked one of her friends in Studyhall if she was going and they said no. I mean, I don't know. She just broke up with..."

Mom: Great. So. Are you going ask her to the prom?"

Me: "Well...I guess I could. She asked a friend of mine if I was going so I guess that means I could ask her."

Mom: *Heavy Sigh* Why don't you just ask her then? What's the worst she could say? No?"

Me: "YES!!!"

Mom: " Oh for God's sakes!" ( she turns and leaves the kitchen). " Just ask her to the prom."

---------------

Years later, I was in the Air Force and decided I would go shopping for some clothes. Needed to address my somewhat lacking wardrobe issues. Conversation on phone as follows.

Me: " Yeah. I'm going to go to Cutler Ridge and get some new clothes."

Mom: "You? You're going to shop for clothes."

Me: "Well yeah. Of course. I need some new clothes so I'm going to go buy some."

Mom: " Somebody is going to go with you right?"

Me: "Why? I can do this on my own."

Mom: "Right. You should have someone go with you. Help you get some nice things to wear."

Me: "Hey. I've got good taste in clothes."

Mom: " Jay. The only taste you have is in your mouth."

Me: :shutup:

( What could I have said? I just got own3d by my mom).

:)

Growing up as an only child (in some ways), my mom and I were positioned from the beginning to be close. Through the dissolution of her marriage to my father, to enduring my emotional roller-coaster as I came to deal with divorce, she was always there providing me with love, instilling morals and ethics, and showing me how to do the right thing. She's who I call when I need advice, when I want to celebrate an accomplishment, when I've proved her right, and on the rare, rare occasions when she's wrong (which she tells me is to just to make me feel better about myself :)).

I don't know what I do without my mom. But I'm sure that the lessons she's taught me and the advice she's provided have been internalized in me such that wherever I go, I bring with me a piece of my mom. And I think, John, that that's probably true for you too.

To you Mom, Happy Mother's day.

Here's a picture of my mom and my mother in law at my recent wedding. Great to see them so happy. :)

I lost my Mom four years ago. She had been sick seven years prior to that due to a stroke that had severely limited her physically and somewhat mentally.

At the time she fell ill, as a family we decided we'd all take care of her. No nursing home for Mom.

My sister was enrolled in the Nursing program at UNC-Greensboro at the time and she dropped out to come home and help with Mom. We all took turns in caring for her.

Was it hard? At times, yes. But I always thought of all the times Mom had taken care of us when we were sick or we had suffered a bump or bruise. She always knew what to do to help me and my sister get better or make the hurt go away. I only hoped that we could come close to doing the same for her.

There is not a day that goes by that I don't think about Mom. Whether it be seeing someone tending their garden(something Mom loved to do) or hearing an Elvis song(Her man :) ) in passing on the radio, seems like Mom pops up everyday.

Most of all, I know somewhere in the room this Tuesday night, when my sister walks across the stage and receives her nursing degree, Mom will be there watching and I bet she'll have a big smile on her face.

I love you Mom and miss you.........

Glenn Campbell and Steve Wariner had a song a few years back and this part always rings true,IMO :

There ought to be a hall of fame for mamas

Creation's most unique and precious pearls

And heaven help us always to remember

That the hand that rocks the cradle rules the world

Great thread Tarhog. God Bless everyone's Mom, where ever they may be.

I've still got my mom and my grandma. My mom went to my highschool with me when they were threatening to kick me out, and she stood up for me. My grandma is 94 years old and sharp as a tack. She helped me pay to go back to college when I was 30 years old and had more than used up anything I had coming to me. I don't deserve the treatment I have received from these two women. Of that, I don't have the slightest doubt. I love them with all my heart. To whose of you who have lost your moms...I can't imagine how tomorrow will feel. I don't want to. It's gonna come for me too soon.

Great thread, Tarhog...you that man. Too many people take their moms for granted, as I often did growing up. We didn't really have a great relationship while I was growing up, even though she continued to do everything in her power to make my life a happy one. I feel terrible for the way I acted and treated her growing up...thankfully now our relationship is better than ever for which I'm thankful every day. She recently asked me if I would take care of her if she got past the point of being able to care for herself...I agreed without hesitation. She's done so much for me, it would be the least I could do.

Some of you met my moms at the Giants game last year (she was the good luck charm!). Here is a picture (thanks unsonny!) of her with Huly's parents (she's the one in the middle):

Nice post, Tarhog. :cheers:

While I wouldn't know you from Adam on the street, the impression I get from your posts and your work here is that you do your mom proud everyday.

I hope georgiaredskin finds her way into this thread. :)

Very well put Double H! (and thanks for thinking of me, too)

WOW Tarhog. What a totally awesome post. It describes 100% how I feel, and oddly, how my mom was. Thank you SO much for posting it. I am sure your mom is very proud of you, and I am not the least bit surprised that you had someone very special who raised you.

This is our second Mother's Day without her, after she passed away from cancer as well last March 21st. Lately I shun anything Mother's Day-I even teared up looking at a Happy Mother's Day sign at work.

So, thank you for this. I know I need to be grateful for having such a special mom for the years that I did.

I love you and miss you, Mom.

MominMaryland_edited.jpg

Good post. I can't describe how hard it has been for my mom to raise my brother and I by her self. Ever since we came here we have been on our own, and she has had the burden of the world on her shoulders and never complains. Her only desire is for me and my brother to succeed. I can't imagine a world without her.

Great post Tarhog!

I also lost my Mom to cancer in 1996. Today is the day that I miss her most. I still have great memories of my Mom. I will always remember the day that I had her running all over town looking for a #42 burgundy color T-shirt. I was 9 years old.

To all you guys who's Mother is still living, please give her a hug and tell her how much you love her. Because one day she won't be there. I would give anything to be able to take my Mom out for dinner today and give a little bit of the love back that she gave me. I miss you Mom!!!

Wonderful Tar........simply wonderful.

My mom is making a great recovery......although the pnuemonia left her with a hole in one of her lungs.......she is doing much better.

I have already spoken with her this morning......and sang to her........sent her 2 Mother's Day cards.......and made her laugh (She actually laughs at some of the things I do quite a lot!)

To all of the Mother's and Mother's to be....

Happy Mother's Day.

Blondie

I'm glad things are better with your Mom Blondie - knowing you, I bet she is a piece of work (in a nice way of course)! And georgia, we KNOW your Mom was a special person - it shows in you.

Some great posts. And for those of you lamenting all you 'put Mom through', its likely true for all of us. Don't worry, she still loves you - its what they do :) DieselPwr - what an incredible thing you and your siblings did for your mom. Doesn't surprise me though.

Happy Mothers Day people.

Just got off the phone with mine not too long ago, and wouldn't you know? She said she needed to get to feeling even better so she could go shopping, (There's a super outlet mall near her apartment) . :laugh:

My mom and I have had our difficulties over the years but our relationship has improved over the last 10 years. Being a fairly new father it is easier for me to relate now to what she went through raising me and my 2 sisters. Tarhog, your post hits home the inevitability that my mom will not be here forever. I look forward to spending more "good times" with her over the hopefully many years to come with her.

Here is a picture of my mom, Jill, and my son Kevin.

Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers on here.

My mom and I have had our difficulties over the years but our relationship has improved over the last 10 years. Being a fairly new father it is easier for me to relate now to what she went through raising me and my 2 sisters. Tarhog' date=' your post hits home the inevitability that my mom will not be here forever. I look forward to spending more "good times" with her over the hopefully many years to come with her.

Here is a picture of my mom, Jill, and my son Kevin.

Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers on here.[/quote']

Thats great Bugs.....when your son's a teenager, I'm betting you're going to be relating like HELL :laugh:

Archived