Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

EMT Training

chang

So I was looking for something to do over the summer and my friend came up with the idea that we should do some volunteer EMT work at like a local fire station or something. We figure it should be a really rewarding experience and would also look great on college resumes :)

I was wondering if anyone has experience doing this and could pass along some information regarding requirements, training, etc. I live in NOVA (near Reston) if anyone works in the area.

Thanks in advance!

So I was looking for something to do over the summer and my friend came up with the idea that we should do some volunteer EMT work at like a local fire station or something. We figure it should be a really rewarding experience and would also look great on college resumes :)

I was wondering if anyone has experience doing this and could pass along some information regarding requirements, training, etc. I live in NOVA (near Reston) if anyone works in the area.

Thanks in advance!

Can't give you specifics for your area, but its a great idea. Many community colleges offer EMT training. You are looking at a fairly detailed classroom instructional period, and you'll have to take the EMT written and practical exam (neither of which are too bad - although you do have to know your stuff). Best bet is to call your local firehouse or paramedics and see where they recommend.

I rode with a Rescue Squad for several years as an EMT. Its a great experience, but you'll also see the seedier side of your community too. Lots of drunks, blood, and arguments :)

But the first aid skills you'll learn will serve you well for the rest of your life. And you'll no doubt make some friends.

What Tarhog said. Igot my EMT certification in July 86. With the training in provided, I've helped save 2 lives and provided other first aid in just the past 8 years based on just that training.

Right up my alley!

The first step you should probably take is to visit the Fairfax Co. website and figure out which volunteer station is closest to you. Fairfax has career personnel and not all stations have volunteers.

Whichever station you find, they should be able to direct you further. I know with Fairfax, it doesn't really matter if you've been a Medic for 10 years...(like me)....you still have to go through their training.

They should be able to hook you up with how to join the squad, how and where to get into an EMT-Basic class, and where to go from there. I would strongly suggest their website as a starting point.

Be careful though...the profession may suck you in and be more than just a summer thing! :D

EDIT: Did some legwork for ya....

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/fr/

Thanks a bunch everyone for all the info! Rumrunner i looked at the website and there's some great links to volunteer departments on it. Unfortunately my local station's page says I need to be 18 to volunteer, but I'll still contact them and see what I can do. Thanks again everyone

Thanks a bunch everyone for all the info! Rumrunner i looked at the website and there's some great links to volunteer departments on it. Unfortunately my local station's page says I need to be 18 to volunteer, but I'll still contact them and see what I can do. Thanks again everyone

No problem....

I did just notice your age...when will you be 18? If it is during your EMT class, you still may be able to do it.

Here is the VA Office of EMS website. If you go to related links, you may find something close to you that has a Junoir Squad that will help you get started.

http://www.vdh.state.va.us/oems/

Archived