Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Six things that the Bush Administration failed completely

Burgold

Someone requested the opposite of my "Excel" thread. So, here goes. Can you name six things that the Bush Administration has utterly failed at? One thing for each year so far, that has resulted in far worse results than anybody ever anticipated and in fact has caused the country to regress in some fashion. You are free to visit any area (Education, Heath Care, Millitary, Civil Rights, Infrastructure, etc.)

The person who asked for this thread also asked that the respondants be earnest and Bush supporters. I believe in Democrasy, so everyone is free to chime in. Remember, just because he did some things very wrong (or right) in your eyes does not indicate that his administration has failed, but only that in this instance or in these six instances terrible mistakes have been made in your opinion.

I'll give you guys one to start off with...

1. The Bush Administration has failed to through lack of negotiation, veto, or any other means to control government spending.

2. President Bush has said that nothing has changed and that wiretaps without warrant were illegal and morally wrong and then he proceeds to do this undercover without Congressional oversight (okay, some psuedo oversight by committee who were sworn to secresy)

3. The Senior Medication plan was a noble effort, but has resulted in more bureaucrasy than actual aid, the bang for the buck just ain't there. More, it hasn't had any impact on the escalating price of prescriptions or the rising costs of insurance

4. The Energy Bill endorsed and passed by this Administration has allowed energy prices to escalate rapidly and has provided no forseeable advantage to Americans.

5. No Child Left Behind has been very costly with few or no results. Most teachers and educators hate it.

6. The reorganization of FEMA and cronyistic hiring policies led to one of the worst disaster relief crisises in U.S. history. Despite gi-normous expenditures, even today, the relief effort is woefully minimal and reeks more of corruption, profiteering, than aid.

As a supporter of the President I acknowledge the fact that the man is not infallible.

I think he failed in reforming Social Security...I will continue to give the government my money so they can hold on to it and maybe give it back in 35 years.

I think, at least so far, he has failed on fixing the immigration situation this country faces. And everyday we don't come up with the solution a new horde of illegals enters the country which will make the ultimate solution more difficult.

He has failed to properly communicate the threat that Iraq posed, their connections to terrorism(I didn't say 9-11), and how we will be better off when this is finished than we were when we started.

He has failed to move forward in reducing our reliance on foreign oil, or any oil for that matter.

He has failed to hold his subordinates accountable for their mistakes/misdeeds.

Most of these issues have been failures of previous administrations as well and at least some of the blame lies with Congress. However, the "buck stops there"

1- Spends too much. (See Prescription Drug plan, Aide for Aids in Afrcia as examples)

2- Failed to communicate his message and goals in Iraq. IMO, he should be on TV every week telling us the good and the bad.

3- Oil. See every other thread on this topic for my lengthy opinions.

4- Social Security. He quit.

Still thinking.....

1. "Changing the Tone in Washington". The Democrats just laughed in his face and stabbed him in the back.

2-3. Medicare prescription drug benefit, No Child Left Behind education bill. Made too many compromises with Democrats to get them through, ballooned the budget in the process.

4. Reforming Social Security. Utter failure.

5. Immigration. The jury is still out on what will eventually pass, but enforcement has been even worse since he's been President than it was under Clinton, and his position is out of touch with the public.

6. Has failed to properly refute his critics. The burden of the intense, unrelenting hatred directed at him from the left has proved too much for him to stand up under, and he's retreated.

I find it interesting that this thread is flowing so much more easily and specifically than the excel thread did. I also think it fascinating how some people's "fail" items made it onto others "excel" list-- like the African Aid program.

1. "Changing the Tone in Washington". The Democrats just laughed in his face and stabbed him in the back.

2-3. Medicare prescription drug benefit, No Child Left Behind education bill. Made too many compromises with Democrats to get them through, ballooned the budget in the process.

4. Reforming Social Security. Utter failure.

5. Immigration. The jury is still out on what will eventually pass, but enforcement has been even worse since he's been President than it was under Clinton, and his position is out of touch with the public.

6. Has failed to properly refute his critics. The burden of the intense, unrelenting hatred directed at him from the left has proved too much for him to stand up under, and he's retreated.

Riiiight. So even though the Republicans dominate our entire federal Government, and they could pass any bill they want without a single Democrat vote, everything is still the Democrat's fault in your mind. :loser:

Some good posts so far. Sorry if I don't name six, but my biggest concern has been the failure to manage the budget. The administration continues to give tax breaks in a time when more money is needed to pay for the war in Iraq, the fight against terrorism and other needed programs. The continual rise of the deficit and passing of the buck to future generations is just crazy. Now, the Democrats did an ok job under Clinton managing the budget. Unfortunately, they failed for so many years before then it didn’t really matter. The fact that the Republicans raid the Social Security fund to pay bills makes them just as bad as the Democrats. For years the right criticized the Dems for their tax and spend policy. Well, tax and spend is better than tax break and spend. At least one comes closer to balancing the budget than the other and doesn’t put future generations at more risk.

Maybe we do have to get rid of the party system as some have said on this board. I think we should raise taxes to a point that the budget is balanced. If people get upset let the administration and Congress decrease spending to allow them to reduce taxes to keep the budget balanced. This would apply to both Democrats and Republicans. Of course, this would never happen.

I voted for him... these are my grievances.

1) Failed to Curb Federal Spending. It seems like he is fighting for a lot of power in the Executive Branch, why isn't he fighting for the line-item veto?

2) Failed to take a Common Sense Immigration Policy. Most people prefer the enforcement NOW plan. Bush has responded by putting a crony as the head of ICE and giving Mexico influence in our border policy. He is pushing for the no illegal left behind act.

3) Failed to Keep Arlen Spector out of the Senate. This guy is a sellout and has been a thorn in Bush's side. Why did Bush campaign to get him re-elected? If Bush campaigned the other way, Spector would be out.

4) Failed to Reform Social Security. I like the idea of private accounts. I don't like the current pyramid scheme.

5) Failed to put competent people in key positions. Look at the fiasco that is DHS. I have no doubt that there are a bunch of dolts in this administration.

6) Failed to follow throw on his promise to break us from our dependence on oil. 4 months ago he said "We are addicted to oil, and that, is bad". He then touted "new technology"... where is it?

7) Failed by passing No Child Left Behind. Standardized testing tests to the lowest common denominator. Personally I think we should see some children left behind, if they can't cut it. Teachers shouldn't bear the full responsibility of children's failure... there are a lot of factors they don't control.

Riiiight. So even though the Republicans dominate our entire federal Government, and they could pass any bill they want without a single Democrat vote, everything is still the Democrat's fault in your mind. :loser:

Maybe you had trouble comprehending what I wrote. Other than #1, which is the Democrats fault, I faulted Bush for caving in to them. That's his fault. It was part of his misguided attempt at #1.

I voted for him... these are my grievances.

1) Failed to Curb Federal Spending. It seems like he is fighting for a lot of power in the Executive Branch, why isn't he fighting for the line-item veto?

2) Failed to take a Common Sense Immigration Policy. Most people prefer the enforcement NOW plan. Bush has responded by putting a crony as the head of ICE and giving Mexico influence in our border policy. He is pushing for the no illegal left behind act.

3) Failed to Keep Arlen Spector out of the Senate. This guy is a sellout and has been a thorn in Bush's side. Why did Bush campaign to get him re-elected? If Bush campaigned the other way, Spector would be out.

4) Failed to Reform Social Security. I like the idea of private accounts. I don't like the current pyramid scheme.

5) Failed to put competent people in key positions. Look at the fiasco that is DHS. I have no doubt that there are a bunch of dolts in this administration.

6) Failed to follow throw on his promise to break us from our dependence on oil. 4 months ago he said "We are addicted to oil, and that, is bad". He then touted "new technology"... where is it?

7) Failed by passing No Child Left Behind. Standardized testing tests to the lowest common denominator. Personally I think we should see some children left behind, if they can't cut it. Teachers shouldn't bear the full responsibility of children's failure... there are a lot of factors they don't control.

I don't disagree with your list but your comments on Arlen Spector are a little curious. Spector represents a state where John Kerry won by a sizable margin. He has to represent that kind of voter so if he caved in to Bush all the time he would be derelict of duty. I doubt any Democrat would be any more favorable to Bush than Spector is.

I hate Spector and McCain with a passion and don't understand why Republicans put them in key positions... how come the Judiciary Comittee is working on IMMIGRATION REFORM!

I've also seen the Judiciary Committee hold open hearings on Digital Music Downloading... why do they want to suck in everything?

1 Failed to control spending

2Failed to pass SS reform

3 Ignored the illegal immigration problem

4 Continued the growth of federal bueracracy

5 failed in opening ANWAR and coastal areas for exploration.

6 Most importantly has failed to aggressively counter his critics, he seems to assume that average Americans actually have sense enough to figure things out for themselves ;)

I voted for Bush twice. I wouldn't vote for him a third time (even if it was possible) under any circumstances. Here's my list of the Top 4 issues I have with the current administration. They're a little more general than the way some others have broken things down.....

#1. Failure to support and promote Gun Owner Rights: In addition to not working to remove unConstitutional limitations on Gun Owner's Rights, Mr. Bush indicated that he would have SIGNED the extension of the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban that House & Senate Republicans killed.

#2. Failure to return the US to a Constitutional Spending system: In fact, under Mr. Bush's watch the amount of unConstitutional spending in the budget has gone higher than ever. We have a glut of new federal spending programs with no Constitutional mandate that would make a Kennedy or Clinton salivate. Additionally, the lack of more extensive tax cuts accross the board has been a serious failure of this administration.

#3 Failure to Secure the United State from International Interests: Both before and after Sept. 11, 2001 Mr. Bush has failed entirely in his duty to secure America's borders, defend us from foreign aggression, get us out of unnecessary international involvements (UN, NATO, etc...), and foster an AMERICA FIRST attitude in this country.

#4 Failure to Impliment a common Moral Standard: This is one of the few issues on my list that Mr. Bush has even made a serious attempt to do. However, he's been largely unable to get it done. There have been some small victories (partial birth abortion, death of the assault weapons ban, etc...) but none of the major victories that are really going to be needed to turn this country around.

Biggest failure by far

Quiting on SSI reform right away and not fighting that battle on. Part of it was in March of 2005 Republicans made a very poor decision in spending their political capital on Terry Schiavo rather then the worthy cause of eliminating this pyramid scheme and then eventually eliminating most other New Deal programs

That decision will haunt us for generations

Archived