Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFW: NFC EAST-The Way We Hear It / Whispers

bubba9497

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+Way+We+Hear+It/default.htm?mode=nfceast

click link for full article

Washington

The right side of the Redskins’ offensive line is a critical cog for the running game. The team tends to call for RB Clinton Portis to run right in critical situations, and ORG Randy Thomas and ORT Jon Jansen got the job done blocking more often than not last season. But with the retirement of 20-year vet Ray Brown, who was the top backup at both spots, there is a serious lack of a dependable backup there. The team signed former Brown Mike Pucillo, who has had an average career at best, as well as Tyson Walter, but neither can play tackle. Jim Molinaro has shown little in two seasons to date. Though Jansen has been durable, he suffered a season-ending Achilles injury two years ago and played with two broken thumbs in splints last season. Right before the draft, Jansen had further surgery on his right thumb and will have to wear a splint for another month. He’s not expected to be set back any, but Jansen could use some experienced OL help in reserve.

Whispers

The Jaguars never were serious contenders for OLB LaVar Arrington. Though head coach Jack Del Rio pushed for the signing, management was unwilling to meet Arrington’s asking price, based on the team’s payroll and Arrington’s past knee problems.

It was last June 1 that Redskins S Sean Taylor allegedly brandished a firearm, leading to three charges and a simple count of battery, but the court date was delayed again following the replacement of the judge in the case. It’s possible that Taylor’s case won’t be heard until the fall. He could face up to 46 years in prison.

Guest santana4prez

I hope Bugel has some plans for the backup OL spots. He is one of the greatest O-Line coaches in NFL History and I think a couple of these players will be nice surprises. Jim Molinaro is a solid backup tackle Buges is grooming and the 2 lineman the Skins picked up in the offseason will bring needed depth. Hopefully all 5 of the starters stay healthy. Ill keep my fingers crossed.:fingersx: HTTR and thanks Bubba for the article.

Umm...how old is this? It talks about Jaguars contending to get Arrington? Didn't the Giants sign him 3 some odd weeks ago?

Brand New,

it was just pointing out despite the Jags interest last month, they now know the FO wasn't really interested in signing him. It doesn't say they are "contending to get Arrington"

The Jaguars never were serious contenders for OLB LaVar Arrington

Never were = past tense ;)

I love how every report about ST mentions this, it makes him sound like the worst criminal the NFL has ever had.

The media does that with every single criminal case

They will tell you that so-and-so is facing up to such-and-such number of years in prison to grab your attention

The backup OT spot is certainly scary. I continue to say the will bring in a FA-OT for backup. :logo:

It appears that there are none worth bringing in. Good or bad we appear to be stuck with what we have.

The good news is that the people who decided not to chase OTs back in March or on draft day know a lot more about Molinaro and the rest of the inexperienced OTs on the roster than most of us do. It seems to me that if Bugel was unhappy with his tackles something would have been done.

There is no one on this website that has been more critical of the offensive line than I. And no one who has called for an emphasis on getting the best personnel available for the front five. Even our 5 starters are maybe B to B+ and it goes down rapidly when reserves are plugged in. I'm still hoping for either a diamond in the rough from our free agent signings or a pick up from the final cuts in August. I do think, however, that the move from the single back to a lead blocking fullback like Sellers will help the running game tremendously. But if one of our starters goes down, heaven help Brunell.

I have always said you need an experienced backup at CB, QB, C, and OT. WE have the CB and QB. The staff evidently like he two OG/C Walter and Pucillo. We still need another OT. Molinaro, even if he is ready, isn't enough.

Archived