Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Spurrier to go more mainstream?

Sailor

When Spurrier took over the reins, he delighted us with some of his unorthodox views on how to be successful as an NFL head coach. Now, I don't know if he really believed this stuff, but I wonder if he still feels the same today?

1. THESE GUYS CAN PLAY - said of Matthews and Wuerffel as recently as the opening interview of the Eagles game.

2. I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHO'S OUT THERE - said of the defensive players during training camp. I bet he knows who's out there now when tackles are missed and coverages are blown.

3. I LEAVE THE DEFENSE TO MARVIN - the defense has completely taken Steve out of his game.

4. I JUST WANT TO COACH - said of his involvement in personnel decisions. I wonder if he really felt that way when Rock was the only draft pick he could call upon in the Eagles game.

We went from a total control freak in Marty to a totally hands off guy in Steve. Now Steve is a very smart guy. Anybody wanna bet the pendulum starts to swing the other way?

Good points, one correction though. SS has always said that he has only seen DW and SM be successful. Until he see's otherwise, he doesn't know that they can't play. Based on his comments about DW...( Danny's doing some things I've never seen him do before..) I think he is now seeing that.

You can't fault him for wanting to see for himself.

Marvin Lewis has been quoted as saying that Spurrier is more involved with the defense than Billick ever was. The players have said he knows all of their names. The draft wound up having two players lost for the season. Bauman, Scott, Ramsey, Betts, Lott and the Rock are all available to be called on on any given Sunday/Monday.

Sometimes one must not believe what is created about a person by media types who don't know the person. Instead, pay attention to the reality of a situation and quotes from within the organization as a more honest view of what something may actually be.

<<Bauman, Scott, Ramsey, Betts, Lott and the Rock are all available to be called on on any given Sunday/Monday. >> Art

Sure they are. And if you need a cup of Gatorade, call 'em.

The Rock made one nice special teams hit. Yawn. Betts doesn't even dress -- here's your second round pick, who you traded up to get, and he can't make the game-day roster? Who exactly is Stephen Davis' backup? Betts was supposed to be Davis' heir apparent -- some joker even suggested that we trade Davis during the preseason and start Betts.

Anyone who thinks this draft went well for the Skins is either extremely optimistic about Ramsey's chances for Canton induction or just isn't paying attention.

I don't know if this is true, but I'll bet it's close: No other team has NO players from the draft making a significant contribution this year. None! It's not like the team is so stellar at all the starting positions that there's no room for these guys. We have glaring holes on the OL (oops, didn't draft anyone), on the DL (oops, didn't draft anyone), and at safety (Andre Lott can't beat out David Terrell?) and no one is stepping up.

Barring injury, do you see any of these guys getting more playing time as the year progresses? I don't. And if they don't, you'd at least expect one or two special teams studs to emerge... paging Rock Cartwright.

Betts doesn't dress because Spurrier has made him inactive.

If Davis is out, Betts will be made active and would likely start. Watson fills a different role on the roster as a different type of back and kickoff man. In a numbers game, Betts, who would likely be the starting running back if Davis was out, is left inactive. But, that's Spurrier.

No one said the draft went "well". We've gone over our draft thoughts months ago. While there's no question I'd have done something else, saying the only rookie available to Spurrier was the Rock is a false statement since more is available to Spurrier if he needed to go that route.

If Spurrier is smart he won't change his game plan or his way of doing things, win OR lose. The vast majority of these players are going to be with the team for a number of years to come. Even if this year ends up in the tank these players are going to need to know their coach's system and his manner of coaching in order for the team to get better over time. That doesn't happen when a coach changes his ways because of a loss or two (it also doesn't happen when an owner changes coaches every year as you guys have found out the hard way).

I think Spurrier is too smart and has been coaching for too long for him to change much of anything that he does by 'going mainstream.' If his system eventually works in the NFL, more power to him. If it doesn't, he'll do what so many other successful college coaches have done after unsuccessful tenures in the NFL... he'll go back and coach college ball again. And then Snyder will get to do what he loves... find a new coach for his team.

:pint:

Originally posted by skinsblitz

Spurrier is more hands-on than most give him credit for. He just does it in a much less of a "drill instructor" manner like Marty did. This guy down right hates to lose, so I'm sure he won't just sit back and watch if the team starts going down hill.

Don't know how true this. When I was at training camp, I watched Spurrier ONLY hanging out with the QBs and the WRs. Didn't look like he spent too much time with the D at all, except when everyone was stretching out, just before practice.

Mr. Madd,

Your draft analysis is lacking because of one huge reason. We are only into the third game of the freakin season. IF all drafts were judged in that way, how many drafts would actually be successful?

Brett Farve was an after thought to the Falcons, look how he turned out, Marshall Faulk, a Colt dissapointment...., John Elway... he sure didn't start out on fire, Peyton Manning, by your standards, he was a wasted pick, I could go on and on and on....

Every NFL draft nerd will say you can't truly evaluate a draft until several years down the road, so please..... understand, some of us are not going to agree with you that this draft was such a bust. I'm not trying to bust your chops, your'e entitled to your opinion as much as the next guy, but understand that it's an opinion, not fact.

Well, here's what I'm saying ('cause no one has figured it out yet -- I don't know if that means I'm not explaining it well, or you're not listening):

One measure of a draft's success is the immediate impact of that draft. In free agency, team's need rookies to play -- you can't afford a team full of vets. So by that measure, this draft SUCKS. (By other measures, like the long-term impact, the jury is still out -- this could turn out to be an OK draft).

You see, almost every other team has a rookie who is making a significant impact. Not necessarily starting, but making a significant impact. None of the Skins rookies are making an impact. See what I'm saying?

I'm NOT saying, however, that this draft will be a bust in the long run. Ramsey, Betts, and others, might still turn out to be good. But not this season.

I NEVER said Ramsey was a wasted pick because he won't play much this year (or at least until the season is down the tubes, God forbid). So by my standards, Manning and Favre would NOT have been wasted picks. But by the same token, Favre certainly didn't helped the Falcons his rookie year, did he?

And what I'm saying is that the Skins do have some holes that rookies could fill, but they aren't. Bummer for us.

I'm not sure your point is all that accurate here Madd.

There are any number of teams that aren't getting "significant" contributions right now from the draft class. The Redskins chose to go with a self-assessed best player available draft. That allowed some places we had starters to be filled in rather than going for places we had weakness being hit.

That Royal and Russell are gone for the year probably hurts us a good bit. But, it is rare that a team is getting much significant help from players beyond the third round. It is rare, really, to be getting significant help from players beyond the first, really. And even the first round is no sure thing. Again, we've gone over the draft feelings here. I'm not sure I disagree with you that we could have gone other directions. But, we don't really have all that much different happening here as compared to other places.

Hell, we kept, didn't we, Scott, Rock, Coleman, Lott, Russell, Royal, Betts, Bauman and Ramsey, right? Nine of our 10 picks are still hanging around. A number of teams cut more picks than we did. How much help they are giving is not in dispute because most are playing behind other established (or Terrell) starters. I just don't think you're right about every other or most other teams having more immediate help right now.

Reggie Coleman and Andra Lott are good players, they have the tools to be starters on an NFL team. Obviously, the Redskin staff feels the same way.... and we could realize we know less than jack in comparison to their knowledge of football.

Royal would have been a player for us ... now. But it got binged ... stuff happens. I won't consider this draft a failure until next year and we do not have three starters or players with serious minutes from it on our team .... and Ramsey needs to be one of them.

Mr. Madd, I respect your opinion and I can see where you are coming from, I just tend to agree a little more with Art on this one.

I think most draft "experts" acknowleged what you are saying, that is that the Skins did not get any "immediate impact" player in the draft. I can agree with many of your points, Betts may have been drafted a little high, etc.. I just feel like It's a little early to judge, that's all.

:cheers:

Originally posted by SkinnedGator

In the entire history of the NFL, how many QB's (even 1st rounders) have been productive in their rookie years? Marino and who else?

With that said, we need some serious talent on the interior OL and another 1st tier playmaking WR.

Marino and no one else. I'm a huge Marino fan and and make that point proudly. Dan did not start until the sixth game and ended up with a Dolphins record at the time, 22 td passes as well as being the ONLY rookie qb voted to the probowl. Although, I will concede this. Dan dropped down to the Dolphins because of unfounded rumors of drug use and lack of running ability. He ended up with the Dolphins who had just been to the superbowl. Because the Dolphins were already a good team, it made things easier for Dan, they already had a pretty good O line. Ramsey will benefit because the Skins are no where near as bad off as the Lions and Texans, but the pressure of being under the microscope in DC especially with SS and the Fun and Gun could be a little much for him to handle. If Ramsey gets any time, I wouldn't expect him to set the league on fire, he is sure to make mistakes. But in the long term, I think he will do fine.

Archived