Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

49ers Game Is Prologue

bulldog

After a 30 point loss at home on national TV, the 49ers game takes on added significance.

2-1 puts the Redskins one win ahead of where a lot people thought they would be after 3 weeks, 1-2 doesn't necessarily sink the team..................

but if it is to be 1-2, it's the KIND of game the team plays that is key.

The Redskins were not competitive against the Eagles. They must be competitive and play close against the 49ers.

A 24-21 win or loss can bring the team back off the 'edge'.

Another double digit clunker, however, and the confidence of the team going into a ridiculously early bye week could be severely damaged. Remember how the Saints, even after a season as division champs in 2000, basically gave up on Jim Haslett last year after some early hardships in the first few weeks.

This team has gone from being the oldest team in the NFL in 2000 to being one of the youngest teams in 2002.

Only 2 starters on the offense, Shane Matthews (32) and Brendan Stai (30) are over 30.

On defense only 4 of 11 starters are over 30, and two of those players, Shade and Wilkinson are just 30 this season.

The youngsters need some anchor to pin their hopes on and if the veterans buy-out of Marvin Lewis' program on defense (which is where leadership on the team was supposed to come from in 2002) this team could be in real trouble.

This is the week where Spurrier and Lewis earn that top flight money they were handed in the offseason.

Before Monday night, I thought that if we beat Philly we would be less likely to be fired up enough to beat the Niners. Conversley I beleived that a loss to Philly would mean a win vs Frisco. I still feel that way.

This team still has one h#ll of a lot of talent even a loss as bad as the beating we took from Philly can't change that. They had one very bad game but they are just as capable of having a dominant one and hopefully now they are fired up enough to prove it.

I might be wrong but I have a bad feeling about this one. We still don't know if Mathews will start and Defense does has been getting their a$$es kick in the first two games. The do not look like a team that could have the best 2 Starting CBs and best LB Corp in the NFL.

Like John Madden said we still don't have all the parts on offense. I believe that Spurrier will be a success with the Redskins, just not this year. :fortune:

Originally posted by bulldog

After a 30 point loss at home on national TV, the 49ers game takes on added significance.

2-1 puts the Redskins one win ahead of where a lot people thought they would be after 3 weeks, 1-2 doesn't necessarily sink the team..................

but if it is to be 1-2, it's the KIND of game the team plays that is key.

I see it differently. I'm resigned to getting whupped again in SF. To me, the Titans game is critical.

I don't see this team turning around until the defense starts to play up to its potential. As long as we are allowing 30 points a game, we'll continue to see desperation plays like Spurrier going for it on fourth and 10 and Lewis blitzing Champ and allowing Terrell to get burned.

This game is wrong place and wrong time. It's a short week and SF is too strong offensively. I expect us to stink up the joint again.

But then we have a bye week. Time for Lewis to "coach 'em up a little" and maybe institute some changes. And the Titans are maybe not as strong offensively.

If the defense can have a dominating game against the Titans I could that as being the turning point in our season.

I too, Sailor share your feeling on the San Fran front. The 'Skins will probably again be happy to play chess in their locker room after the game and have a good laugh after getting beat over their heads by 20 points (or more).

'Don't think they will fare much better with the Titans either after a bye week.

Heck, since we are being negative (and some love to be) when it concerns the Dano-man (he's cursed the team by the way), we might all target the Houston game as being win #2? I know I am.:laugh:

Spurrier will be blowing hard through his lips again this Sunday. But, awe, shucks, he's had his butt kicked real good afore, right? And five mill soothes a lot of headaches!:silly:

I remember watching a basketball game a couple of years ago between the Wizards and the Knicks. About 5 minutes into the 1st quarter Van Gundy called a time out. When play resumed he had replaced the entire starting 5 with bench players. It wasn't until the 3rd quarter that the starters were reinserted into the game. He got his message across as the starters came out and played with renewed vigor.

Spurrier mentioned that the team appeared to be in the doldrums. If we see another effort like last Monday night, look for Spurrier to start making wholesale changes at positions where he thinks there's a lack of effort or absence of concentration.

The first quarter is gonna be of primary importance in this game. If our D can hold its own, Spurrier will be able to run SD enough to set up the pass to pick apart their weak secondary. If we fall behind, the Niners will blitz all game, probably keeping Matthews off rhythm. I think this will be a high scoring game

Agree with Bulldog 100 percent. Unfortunately, the poor play during Monday's blowout, and particularly the offense's inability to get within sniffing distance of the Philly end zone, meant that we weren't able to see if Tuthill had what it takes. I think the Skins should keep this one close, but I have a feeling that the kicking game is gonna bite us in the butt!!

We still don't know if Mathews will start and Defense does has been getting their a$$es kick in the first two games. The do not look like a team that could have the best 2 Starting CBs and best LB Corp in the NFL.

Fuji that's a part of your take;

Matthews will start

Are you saying the job they did against Arizona overall was a misnomer?? Arizona put up the same performance in week 2 to show it was no fluke. They are better than people think and so are we.

I think it's the other way around, you will see a wonderful performance by our D and you may get aroused :laugh:

sorry about the two posts but I couldn't figure out how to get my pic up.in the process I lost my attachment pull up and just posted again........now i can't figure out how to delete my first post.geesh....well at least I succeeded in what I was trying to do.I got my pic in.

Archived