Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Redskin's Current Problem

Golgo-13

Ok, so everyone is starting to sweat a little about the Defense that was supposed to be the Redskin's strength, but has come to be the bane of their existance. The big question now is, if you are Dan Snyder, what do you do? What I am interested in knowing is what YOU would do if you were in his shoes, not what you THINK he'll do.

I voted for Snyder to can Lewis. Here is why:

The chances are that Lewis will find a head coaching job next year in the NFL. Even if the Skins do learn his system, they will just have to learn whatever new system is brought in by whoever the new DC is next year. If Lewis was able to come in here and make this defense work immediately that would have been one thing. But, there is a realistic chance that he will not even be here next year. And as of right now, I am sure that the defensive players on the Skins wouldn't be too upset. It seems crazy for the Redskins defensive players to have to learn this system if it is only going to be implemented for one year. If Lewis is back next year and you know he will definitely be the DC in 2003, than I would change my vote. But hey, that is just my opinion.

Originally posted by Tom [Giants fan]

The chances are that Lewis will find a head coaching job next year in the NFL. Even if the Skins do learn his system, they will just have to learn whatever new system is brought in by whoever the new DC is next year. If Lewis was able to come in here and make this defense work immediately that would have been one thing. But, there is a realistic chance that he will not even be here next year. And as of right now, I am sure that the defensive players on the Skins wouldn't be too upset. It seems crazy for the Redskins defensive players to have to learn this system if it is only going to be implemented for one year. If Lewis is back next year and you know he will definitely be the DC in 2003, than I would change my vote. But hey, that is just my opinion.

My only question is if the D sucks this bad, do you honestly think that he will still be a serious front-runner for a HC job next season? Not only that, but if one of the peple within the staff steps up and becomes the DC IF ML becomes a HC somewhere else, then maybe we can keep the same system and some continuity. Not saying that is the best option, just AN option.

You can't cut your DC loose after 2 games. Marvin can obviously coach defense, just ask Art. I think the Redskins are 1 FS and 1 DT away from being a very good defensive team. Next year you'll probably need another DE, too, and you can put Mitchell in as the Sam and switch Lavar to Will.

Tom makes a good point about Lewis leaving. I was hoping that, for continuity, one of ML's assitants would take over the DC job her after he left. Now I'm starting to think that Escholz is right. If ML was going to be a head coach, it would have happend this year.

i am only replying because this poll is totally whacked out.

1) it's not snyder's D - it's spurrier's. and if spurrier feels a need to change (based on what experience?), i'm sure he won't hesitate.

2) IT'S ONLY THE 2nd GAME FERCHRISSAKES. ease up a little. we aren't out of the playoffs yet! geez.

3) why in hell would you think the whole problem is Lewis's fault? he's not the one missing tackles. if you recall, norv and terry and marty all had the exact same problem. however, the reason may have been different each time. norv didn't inspire dickall. terry wasn't given a chance, and marty drove the players to distraction, and they didn't WANT to play for marty. now spurrier and lewis have inherited a mess, and straightening it out won't happen overnight.

geez, give em a chance.

:shootinth

the Redskins biggest problem has been a lack of continuity in recent seasons.

There is no doubt in my mind that LaVar Arrington would be further along in his development if he had not had to learn 3 new defenses in successive seasons in DC.

You look at the Raiders under Gruden or the Eagles under Reid, teams that improved each season as they got further along with a system they came to understand.

Now, Gruden did not win a SB in Oakland and Reid has not in Philly either, but they laid a solid foundation that has allowed the teams to continue to win.

There is no doubt in my mind this team will be better next year. You develop momentum in a program as a good decision here and a good job of developing player X there adds up to having a winning record.

You don't enjoy that kind of momentum when you are starting a

'new era' each January :mad:

We hired Spurrier and in my mind he gets 3 years to turn this organization around. For this year that includes Lewis, next year it may or it may not.

Chances are that if the Redskins don't have a top defense in 2002 that Lewis is NOT going to get a HC job in the offseason.

Remember Mike Nolan? When he was 35 years old with the Giants and they had the NFC's #1 defense he was being talked up as a future HC.

Then he came to DC, the unit was #29 in the NFL and Nolan fell off the face of the earth. Before he was tabbed to be the Ravens' DC this season wasn't he coaching receivers or another position on offense?

Bulldog has some wise words.

Alot of this does go back to Snyder's meddling. 8-8 is going to be a familiar record until he sticks with someone. 8 wins due to better than average talent, 8 losses for unfamiliarity until it's too late.

8-8 is gonna happen 3 years in a row. I believe if Snyder keeps BOTH coaches, this can be one helluva ride in 2003 with a few more acquisitions at wr and linemen. They really aren't too far away.

you can add in the quarterback position.

the national media has given the team no credit at all for planning at the qb position. Madden made fun of the Redskins for having Matthews as the starter.

But to me it is a very smart move to start a veteran familiar with the system and have a young #1 pick on the bench learning so he can go in and be successful in the future.

Certainly no one said the Falcons were making a big mistake by having Chandler stick around at age 36 and with his own injury problems to shepherd the team in 2001 while Michael Vick learned about the NFL and got ready to play.

Mark my words. If Ramsey develops into the kind of player I think he can be Madden will be a lot less condescending about the Redskins qb position in 2003 and 2004 :D

As far as Wuerffel goes, who cares?

He is here on a one year deal with no bonus and cost us a do-nothing backup DT in Jerry DeLoach who couldn't beat Del Cowsette out for the #4 tackle job..........

Originally posted by bulldog

you can add in the quarterback position.

But to me it is a very smart move to start a veteran familiar with the system and have a young #1 pick on the bench learning so he can go in and be successful in the future.

It seems to be mandatory anymore. Other than Peyton Manning, who is still a bit of an int machine but for argument sake we'll say he turned out ok, what other steady starters have materialized this decade after being immediately thrown into the wolves? Can't think of any. McNabb was the only one that turned out fine in his class, and he was the only one that was holding the clipboard for the first half of the season. Kurt Warner doesn't really count, as he had already been groomed in another pro league. Tom Brady watched Bledsoe all of the 2000 season. Steve Young, Rich Gannon, Jeff Hostetler, and Trent Green are a few examples of almost career long clipboard holders that had good to great success. The odds are very stacked against Ramsey should he start in just his 3rd game in a pro uniform.

Originally posted by Tom [Giants fan]

The chances are that Lewis will find a head coaching job next year in the NFL.

Tom, you are normally a sensible guy, but I think that win over the Rams has left you temporarily (I hope) bereaved of your senses.

At this point in time. Lewis' stock is falling faster than the Dow Jones and if the present performance continues he's more likely to find a job next year as a strength coach than as a head coach.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not a Lewis basher. I'm willing to give it time and see if he can turn things around.

But face it, Lewis' stock peaked when the Ravens won the SB. And he's been passed over for numerous HC opportunities since then. Why would he be desireable now? Especially since the pendulum has swung and offensive minded coaches seem to be more in demand. Remember what happened in Tampa.

Lewis is really in a bad situation here in DC. If the team makes the playoffs, Spurrier will get the credit. If it fails, Lewis will get a hefty part of the blame. Especially if the Skins defense continues to average 30 points allowed per game.

I cast a write in vote for none of the above. If I'm Snyder I call Spurrier in and remind him that the HC responsibilities go beyond coaching the QB's and receivers.

Write in vote:

Keep Marvin Lewis because he will turn this defense into a bunch of mushroom cloud laying, superfly TNT, Guns of Navarone mutha-f*cka's which will rescue the Skins from post Gibbs mediocrity.

Sheesh, I thought that choice was obvious, how could you leave that out?!! :high:

Ok, we all know that Gardener didn't play on Monday night. It was THAT obvious. Do you honestly think that those Eagles OL would've been able to push BOTH Big Daddy and Gardener around like that? I really don't. I think if Gardener would've been in that game, it would've been a bit different ball game. Maybe the energy might not have been there, but it would've been a better battle among the lines on defense. And the fact that people say that Arrington is no where during the game ?! He had 7 tackles that game, with 2 assists, and a sack. He was very much there. He led the game in tackles, and that was in spite of being put on the line as a pass rusher.

Bottom line: Stick with Lewis. We'll be fine ... its just right now we're going to be going through the growing pains of having to learn another scheme.

Can't cut him after 2 games, it would look ridiculous and the organization would be pummeled to the ground, hence who would want to come into a place like this where the word "coaching stability" is a complete lie.

He will remain the DC for this season, Spurrier won't fire him and Daniel Snyder won't interfere. He knows better now.

The redskins can't go around firing people left and right. We've been through four head coaches and four defensive coordinators in the last four. We need to just stop panicking and have some faith.

ML is one of the top three defensive minds in the game right now. It just takes time. Even if we fire him who are you gonna hire that is remotely as talented.

Then you have two new problems on your hands:

1. who the he!! would want to come work here knowing that they could be fired after one game?

2. Why should the players spend any time learning a new system knowing the DC could get fired at any time?

Remember we looked aweful on both offense and defense in the first five games last year and ended up as a top ten defense

Chill folks.

If I was Danny. Marty Schottenhimer would still be calling the shots. marty is a proven winner and after all he won 8 of his last 11 with Tony BANKS. How many coaches would u say could accomplish that. I think the ole ball coach is good though but we r going to go through som growing pains I am afraid.

As far as the defense i am hearing some familiar things "the schemes are too complicated" (remember the Mike NOLAN days) That is slang for I don't have the personnell to do what i am trying to do. The schottenhimer family had no trouble making this defense perform

Archived