Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Roosevelt's Immigration Stance....

diesel22

With so much controversy over the proper way to deal with the immigration issue in this country, I felt it may prove insightful to turn to one of America's most respected men.

>"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here

>in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be

>treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to

>discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or

>origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an

>American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance

>here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an

>American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have

>room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we

>have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American

>people."

>

>Theodore Roosevelt 1907

A politically correct statement before there were politically correct statements:laugh:

Hey, what's going on? Off topic here (obviously) but I am going to print out your split and read it after dinner. It would give me a migrane to try to go over it on the comp at this point -- will give you feedback asap.

Spearing should definitely be brought back. I agree with TR on that!

A big Tatum fan were we? Seriously, I am in favor of any rules that lessen the preferential treatment given to offensive players.

Anyone with any serious thoughts regarding the quote?

A big Tatum fan were we? Seriously, I am in favor of any rules that lessen the preferential treatment given to offensive players.

Anyone with any serious thoughts regarding the quote?

Yeah....as an ex player and current coach......you're an idiot:)...

No seriously.....that's the worst idea I've heard all week..and I'm a member on cowboyszone.com ..:laugh:...

it's ok because he was just making a joke right? :paranoid:

Yeah....as an ex player and current coach......you're an idiot:)...

No seriously.....that's the worst idea I've heard all week..and I'm a member on cowboyszone.com ..:laugh:...

it's ok because he was just making a joke right? :paranoid:

No I wasn't joking !! I am a fan of the old school defensive battles. Not the Arena League (which the NFL is becoming more like all the time). I don't need 80 points on the board. Give me a defense that is so intimidating that the other team is nervous to take the field.....

Ya know, we have an Arena team here in KC -- they are called the brigade. Not very successful but I hear they are appealing to "your kind" :silly:

Nice low blow with the cowboyszone comment by the way....

its not often someone starts a thread and aides in the hijacking

No one's got anything to say. I thought it was an interesting find but apparently I am alone in this thinking. I can't force feed it to people and make them respond (although that would make things so much easier):2cents:

With so much controversy over the proper way to deal with the immigration issue in this country, I felt it may prove insightful to turn to one of America's most respected men.

>"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here

>in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be

>treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to

>discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or

>origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an

>American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance

>here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an

>American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have

>room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we

>have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American

>people."

>

>Theodore Roosevelt 1907

I think this is a wonderful quote!

No one's got anything to say. I thought it was an interesting find but apparently I am alone in this thinking. I can't force feed it to people and make them respond (although that would make things so much easier):2cents:

The thing is, you can find a good quote for just about any position you want to take (usually by Thomas Jefferson since he said everything on both sides of every issue).

We have discussed immigration here so much over the past few days that I think almost all of us have realized that it a complicated situation requiring thoughtful solutions. Even though I like Teddy Roosevelt, little additional light is shed on our discussion from a hundred year old quote arising out of different factual circumstances.

The thing is, you can find a good quote for just about any position you want to take (usually by Thomas Jefferson since he said everything on both sides of every issue).

We have discussed immigration here so much over the past few days that I think almost all of us have realized that it a complicated situation requiring thoughtful solutions. Even though I like Teddy Roosevelt, little additional light is shed on our discussion from a hundred year old quote arising out of different factual circumstances.

I must agree with this point....

It's almost getting to be like Lavar threads were in the Stadium! :laugh:

Look pal, don't make me bust out Cartman again

I agree -- this issue is a bit more complicated than it was at that time -- however we typically try to look to our founding fathers and other important historical figures for insight so I thought it was worth sharing

No I wasn't joking !! I am a fan of the old school defensive battles. Not the Arena League (which the NFL is becoming more like all the time). I don't need 80 points on the board. Give me a defense that is so intimidating that the other team is nervous to take the field.....

Ya know, we have an Arena team here in KC -- they are called the brigade. Not very successful but I hear they are appealing to "your kind" :silly:

Nice low blow with the cowboyszone comment by the way....

my post wasn't directed @ U...... :doh:

my post wasn't directed @ U...... :doh:

Yea - I know -- it was aimed at the guy advocating spearing........but in a major way, I am on his side of that argument. I don't necessarily endorse spearing....but I think it's a lot cleaner than say the Bronco's blocking technique.....

The guy advocating spearing is the same one who said he thought TR's immigration stance was similar to the "football position". I certainly hope the fella that followed that up with "Its Paris Hiltons" stance wasn't serious with that;) .

I would wager that alot of people on this board have played, coached, or both...and I have never met anyone that advocated spearing, especially since it is more dangerous to the "spearer" than the "spearee".

Now, back to what the Roughrider said about immigration

...There can be no divided allegiance

here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an

American at all...

>Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Now, this is probably a can of worms I'm poppping open, but i wonder how Teddy would feel about the millions of people born here calling themselves "African" Americans.

(and I don't mean in the context of historic prejudices)

Personally, I find the term rather disappointing. It is seperatist and in 95% of the cases, totally untrue. I don't care who was brought here 150 or more years ago, if you were born in America to American parents, in my opinion you're an American, period. And it would be my hope you could be proud of that and work to making America better for it.

~Bang

Archived