Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Musical Performances with marching bands

pez

Hey guys... we were on some topic the other day about music, and someone brought up Fleetwood Mac. So just for fun, I dusted off some old albums of theirs and had a listen. There were two songs that particularly struck me, "Tusk" and "Don't Stop" from "The Dance" album. What struck me was not that they were live (which I like), but that the U.S.C. Marching band participated in these songs, which turned out to be a great performance. Anyone else know of any other bands that included marching bands of any kind?

I don't know about any like the Fleetwood performance, but if you like this sort of thing.

Check out Drum Corp International. D.C.I.

http://www.dci.org

I was in one of these groups back in 95. The Westshoremen, who were a "Senior" corp. Drum Corp is becoming widely accepted as a musical artform. This is "marching band" X 20. They did a study back in 1993, that found a member of one of these corps has the heart rate of an athlete running a decathalon at the end of their shows.

You marched Westshoremen... Did you know Kevin Luster or John Sison?

They repeated that study this past year. A member of the Cavaliers' tenorline was monitored in performance.

I know of a few artists who've used marching bands... I know that Shania Train hired a high school drumline (San Marcos or Marcus HS from TX, I believe) for a performance a few years back. I'll post some more when I'm not in class ;).

So Destiny's Child has used a band before, and I forget, but I think the '04 superbowl had a college marching band (Texas, I think). Its been done a lot, but unfortunately I can't remember all the times its been done. The trend these days is using a drumline for the drum track like in "Holla Back Girl".

Anyways, this isn't quite on topic, but I did notice you have Pink Floyd quoted in your signature. An indoor drumline performed excerpts from "Dark Side of the Moon" this past season (world championships were held the weekend of 4/21). I was absolutely floored by how badass it was. You can check out a clip of their "pit percussion" playing the dark side of the moon part on you tube here:

With the drumline its even more badass.

DCI is pretty intense, and what's more intense is that people pay for the honor of doing it. It's rediculous. I've been in marching band in high school/college, and JMU's marching band is well known, but not on par of some of the I-A schools, and definitely nowhere near DCI levels.

Not sure of music groups using marching bands, but lots of bands use symphony orchestras or chamber orchestras behind them in the studio or even live. Trans-Siberian Orchestra comes to mind. Lots of metal bands have recorded with orchestras before. Everyone also knows of the Metallica performance.

• 1 year later...

John Linnell (half of They Might Be Giants) has a track on his "State Songs" album that ends with about seven minutes of a marching band during some parade.

Knowing him, the band probably just happened to pass by the recording studio and he held a tape recorder out the window, listened to the result, and then wrapped another song around it.

Archived