Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Brian Mitchell

Burgold

Yeah B-Mitch is still the man. I loved how he trash talked because he'd pick out the biggest guy on the other team and just go after him. It always took two of our other ST guys to pull him away. Passionate player, he always left everything he had on the field.

B-Mitch is one of my favorite Redskins. I think he got a raw deal with the Redskins, Mr. Snyder cut him to make room for Deion Sanders after Mitchell said he would stay in Washington for the league minimum because he wanted to finish his career as a Redskins.

How many athletes now-a-days says that.

PastPlayerB_Mitchell.jpg

Brian Mitchell was a competitor during his playing days, and I think most skins fans appreciated that and understood why he left. He had no choice.

These days, he hangs out on comcast postgame live, and he wears what appears to be women's lipstick. I can understand a mid-life crisis, but isn't this a little bit absurd? Seriously, he should moisturize too if he wants to go that route.

I loved him a long time ago.. When he left here with a mouthful of sour grapes it bothered me. I didn't believe he acted at all professional. Was extremely disappointed in him. I liked however that he swallowed his pride and signed the one day contract to retire as a Redskin.

What people don't realize is that he is 2nd All Time in total yards gained...rushing, receiving, putn return and kick off returns behind ONLY Jerry Rice. Part of that is due to the horrible Redskin teams of the 90's in which he'd get a ton of kick off returns.

Actually, his stat that got to me was when somebody mentioned that he'd led the NFL in total yards (rushing, receiving and returns) for three years in a row, and that only two players in NFL history had ever done that (three years in a row): Jim Brown and Gayle Sayers. (Mitchell failed to set a record of four in a row when Jerry Rice beat him by like 19 yards in the fourth year.)

In fact, he was the topic of one of my two e-mails to Norv, back when redskins.com had a link that allowed you to do that. My question was "If we've got a guy on the team who's gained more yards that Jerry Rice, Barry Sanders, or Emmitt Smith, then how come he's only playing third downs?"

(My other e-mail to Norv, after a game against Detroit, was "How can a team average 5.5 yds per carry, have a ten-point lead at halftime, have zero turnovers, and lose to a team that didn't score a single touchdown?" He didn't answer that one, either.)

Mitchell is a passionate guy. He's always been that way, no matter which team he played for. When we was an Eagle he brought some of that intensity against us. But that's simply because that's the way he is.

But it should be obvious by now that in his heart he's a Redskin, so he's ok in my book.

So if a loved one cheats on you -- its okay if she/he comes back???

That is pertinent to this discussion.

How about Mitchell is just another member of the jockocracy that keeps real journalists out of the media.

Mitchell brings ratings and advertisement....some noob journalist off of the street will have a tough time....that is our reality and we are stuck with it.

While Larry Centers performed well for us, I remember being conflicted and wondering why we needed him when Mitchell had been such a great 3rd down RB and receiver out of the backfield for us. It made no sense to me. I had always been a big Mitchell fan up to that time.

That said, I Mitchell's comments after he was released that were negative towards the team and personalized everything remain fresh in my mind.

Archived