Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

OT Gibson released! hahaha

bigchuck

Actually, Redman, there was information posted on the Cowboys official web site that a shoulder injury to Gibson last week hurt the plans of the team to start him over Page before too long. Further, he was touted by several Cowboy fans, including the dumb ones -- I mean dumber ones -- I mean dumbest ones -- oh, hell, I mean Cowboy fans -- as a massive 400-pounder who'll come in and clobber us. Same with Dorsey who was also cut. Fries don't necessarily mean great you know?

Art, a lot of fans, including skins fans get overzealous and excited and over estimate some players abilities. you and I have been guilty of that as well .

ultimatley injuries did gibson in, he was a decent back up if he would have stayed healthy, what bothered me after the good off season of draft and players signed, they made a couple of bad mistakes, that was the same as the ones in the past.

the cowboys staff were holding on to a slitter of hope on westbrook and gibson to come through and the staff had done that in the past. I guess just because of their draft status in the past they were given leeways.

reports out of camp were that westbrook has been very ordinary and pretty bad at times, but they continued to give him chances, and we let go of a couple of players that had better potential.

same with gibson, they continued to give him chances and held onto him and they let dorsey go. I take dorsey as a back up over whomever they signed or a guy who has been injured for two years now.

if it walks like a duck, sounds like a duck looks like a duck :) then is a freaking duck. westbrook contineously messed up and never adjusted to what the coaches wanted him to do, but they continued to ignore it. Gibson has had trouble staying in shape and healthy for two years but they continued to keep him.

I think Dennis and Dorsey were better backups than both of the guys just released.

one more player they need to let go is Goodrich. He has had nothing but problems staying healthy and getting any continuity. I don't care if he is a 2nd round pick, three eyars and he has never been healthy. he gets in a game and gets injured again. I would have kept Bell over goodrich, since bell at least was a decent ST players.

now that I have vented, I am glad that they may have finally realized it and learned their lesson (probably) and not continued to keep these players on board. They need to continue on that.

Actually, Shawn, I've not overestimated any player's abilities ever. I have spoken to the possibilities at times, but, I've never flat out stated that a marginal player would actually give another team fits. That's something like speaking about how good Rambo/Bryant/Swinton actually is rather than how good you hope me might become.

Originally posted by Larry Brown #43

I remeber QCard trying to convince all of us that having a 400-lb backup lineman somehow proved how formidable the Cowboys are.

Which is actually true. A healthy Aaron Gibson serving as a back-up would have given the Dallascowboys O-line quality depth. Aaron Gibson wasn't released because of poor play like Westbrook. He was released because he couldn't stay healthy enough to be a factor or contributor.

Here is what I stated, of course just to refresh your memory.

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11564&perpage=15&display=&highlight=Aaron%20Gibson%20coming%20off%20the%20bench&pagenumber=1

"I am looking forward to our fat asses blowing D-linemen of the LOS.

Dallas will be bringing in 400 plus LBs of the bench (Aaron Gibson) as a situational TE.

He'll be fresh in the latter parts of the game. Reynaldo Wynn better eat alot of chucky soup."

p.s. After watching the Redskins defensive line play on Monday night, it appears not much is really needed.

Originally posted by Art

Actually, Redman, there was information posted on the Cowboys official web site that a shoulder injury to Gibson last week hurt the plans of the team to start him over Page before too long. Further, he was touted by several Cowboy fans, including the dumb ones -- I mean dumber ones -- I mean dumbest ones -- oh, hell, I mean Cowboy fans -- as a massive 400-pounder who'll come in and clobber us. Same with Dorsey who was also cut. Fries don't necessarily mean great you know?

Actually Aaron Gibson played for a play or 2 when Solomon page was benched during the Houston game for poor play. The coaching staff were sharing snaps between Page and Gibson getting him more acclimated with the first team, thus minimizing the drop-off when he does get some playing time because Solomon Page has been nursing a severe leg injury throughout Training camp and the first game.

They had plans of playing him at RG in the future because of his improved play in the Houston game and the preseason.

I would like to see where you got the idea that Aaron Gibson would start over Solomon Page.

If this is the column you refering to then you have a serious comprehending problem.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/cgi-bin/Cowboys/cowboys2/daily_notes.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1630755594.1032457419@@@@&BV_EngineID=eadcfefjgelkbedchecjcfg.0&art=22256

The Cowboys finally threw their hands up with the 400-pound Gibson, more so because of his inability to stay healthy than his conditioning or performance. Every time the Cowboys gave the former first-round draft choice a chance to earn some first-team playing time he came up lame.

The latest was last week when the coaching staff liked what Gibson had done in the opener against Houston, and basically decided he would get some playing time at right guard in the future weeks. But while working with the first-team offense, sharing snaps with starter Solomon Page, Gibson strained his left shoulder, evidently a chronic malady he's had since college. He was inactive for the Tennessee game and was not ready to practice on Wednesday.

Q,

While I commend you on your ability to hit refresh every five minutes here in every waking hour, showing the good taste you lack in all other things, it is possible, if not likely, that I may not be around every second of every day to respond to you by whatever body clock you've set for such responses. Don't you think?

I don't know what there is to respond about either. In a news brief on the Cowboys when Gibson was hurt, they clearly specified that he was being looked at to replace Page, if not soon, then by the end of the year. I didn't take it to be all that meaningful a revelation. He replaced Page in the opening game, did he not?

Is it impossible to believe the Cowboys staff might not figure if Gibson was able to play better than Page that he'd start? Seemed a very reasonable bit of knowledge on the site. That he was hurt disrupted their plans should Page not improve. That is obvious. That he is cut now also is likely a sign that had he gotten in, he probably wouldn't have been the crushing guy you tended to talk about during the offseason.

As for Shawn, here, it has less to do with my inability to do wrong than my ongoing success with avoiding doing anything wrong :).

I have not read much of this thread, it kinda degenerated into one of those word duels, but I think it is important to note that Gibson was a very fine college player while at Wisconsin. He had the ability to cave in the entire side of a defensive line and much of Ron Dayne's success there is directly attributable to him.

When drafted by the Lions he was considered to be one of those players who could blossom if he was willing to pay the price. Inextricably, it seems that he would rather eat than play football. If he were ever to get his head together and get into some semblence of shape, and down to his playing weight of a remarkable 350 pounds or so (not that he ever played at that weight, but I believe it was considered to be his ideal weight) He could be an awsome right tackle.

Happily, the skins do not need a right tackle, so they don't need to take the risk.

Archived