Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

US Soccer World Cup team leaked.

Kilmer17

Not confirmed yet, but it looks right to me.

Goalkeepers:

Keller, Hahnemann, Howard

Defenders:

Pope, Cherundolo, Onyewu, Lewis, Bocanegra, Gibbs, Hejduk, Albright

Midfielders:

Reyna, O'Brien, Donovan, Dempsey, Beasley, Mastroeni, Convey, Olsen

Forwards:

McBride, Twellman, Johnson, Wolff

The only two questions I would have are choosing Chris Albright over Gregg Berhalter and Taylor Twellman at Forward over Steve Ralston at Midfield.

3 Full side friendlies before th WC starts.

No Coby Jones or Tony Meola? What happened to Cletus? This team is going to suck! :D

Actually, I think Twellman was pretty much set. I think Albright and Olsen were the two "bubble" spots, and the Wash Post kind of confirmed the other day that Olsen was going to make it. I'm happy for those 3 though, and the rest of the MLS guys. Hopefully they can play well in front of the Euro scouts.

Olsen made it because of his motor.

He wont see much field time unless we have a lead and need extra defensemen just to run around with the extra attackers the opponents will throw out.

The only reason Twellman suprised me is that I dont see a scenario in which he will play.

I think it's MORE likely that Donovan moves up top to Forward, creating a space for another midfielder.

I used to hang out with him when he played for United. Why don't you like him? Also, I thought he was a forward/midfielder, they have him listed as a defender?

I think that's why he got the nod over Berhalter. He can still play midfield in a pinch.

It's not that I dont like him, I just know he's not good enough to stay with World Cup caliber players.

Where's Adu? Is he not American? Good enough? Old enough?

He's not good enough yet. Peter Nowak is taking his time in developing Adu for the United. Which, in the short run, cost him what little shot he had at making this year's WC team, but will be best for him in the long run. Ironically though, Nowak's not going to reap any of the rewards of developing him because he will be in England by the time he turns 18. If all goes well, he could be a big part of the '10 WC team.

I think if JOB hadnt been healthy enough, Adu would have gotten a chance.

We have very few players that are left footed and can play that attacking midfield spot.

I dont think he's ready, but he may have been the best option. Thankfully O'Brien is back and healthy.

Wolff is an Arena favorite. He's tireless on the pitch and has world class speed. He pairs up well with McBride if he needs to start, but the real reason he's going is to sub on in the last 25 minutes if we need a goal. No defenseman will be able to match his speed.

Wolff is very frustrating to watch because he gets multiple quality chances on goal, but never finishes (or shall I say rarely).

As for Albright, he moved to Defense a few years back and has had a lot of success there in MLS, but as Kilmer mentioned, not at the World Cup level. He seems to get burned alot against top notch competition, which we cannot afford against Italy or the Czechs.

He's not good enough yet. Peter Nowak is taking his time in developing Adu for the United. Which, in the short run, cost him what little shot he had at making this year's WC team, but will be best for him in the long run. Ironically though, Nowak's not going to reap any of the rewards of developing him because he will be in England by the time he turns 18. If all goes well, he could be a big part of the '10 WC team.

Im not a big soccer fan- in fact I know almost nothing. But how is he not good enough? And, how will it be better for him? It can only make him better.

Im not a big soccer fan- in fact I know almost nothing. But how is he not good enough? And, how will it be better for him? It can only make him better.

My big problem with Adu right now is that he is not putting the ball in the net in the MLS. If he can't score in MLS, why should we assume he will do it in Germany? I think being over there with the team would be good for Adu, but I don't think it's the smart thing for the team to waste a spot on him. He needs to earn it, and one thing I like about Adu is that he has the attitude where he does want to earn it. He hasn't shown any signs yet that he feels he is entitled to anything.

Another thing is I doubt Arena wants to deal with any distractions over there from the US media asking him why Adu isn't playing.

Because he's 16. And his body is 16. And the Italians and Czechs would simply run over him.

He has the skills, just not the size and strength yet.

But the little I know of soccer, the reserves come in maybe for the last 15 or so minutes of a contest (not game, I know a little). So, he is not physically matched to most of the players now being only 16. But, if we bring him in in the final 10 as a sub with fresh legs and world class talent, the fatigued larger athletes wont be as much in adavantage. No?

But the little I know of soccer, the reserves come in maybe for the last 15 or so minutes of a contest (not game, I know a little). So, he is not physically matched to most of the players now being only 16. But, if we bring him in in the final 10 as a sub with fresh legs and world class talent, the fatigued larger athletes wont be as much in adavantage. No?

A bit of explanation is needed.

In international play (as well as most domestic leagues) teams are limited to 3 substitutions per game. As such, it is very RARE that player is subbed out for fatigue. These guys are the best athletes in the world. So what DOES happen is that a team will sub for extra defense or extra offense.

Freddie wouldnt add a spark to either of those at this level YET. He WILL without question, be the Attacking Midfielder in WC 2010. He's jsut not ready to do it yet. And we have better options to use as subs for specific situatuions.

Archived