Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

7th Rd pick 22 (230): Kili Lefotu OG

CRobi21

round 7 is about developmental players. let's not pretend that either Lefotu or Simon is being counted on for anything more than special teams and deep-deep depth, ie they get to play once everyone else who can suit up at their position is out of action.

and let's not pretend that ANY of the #7 picks made around the NFL are viewed any differently right now by the teams that selected them :)

some guys might surprise in camp but right now they are all 'projects' in the true sense of the word.

everyone wanted the Redskins to draft for OL and DL depth on Day 2 and for the most part that is what they did.

and the Skins didn't draft a 285 pound guard or 250 pound DE, they drafted guys with legitimate NFL size.

NFL Draft: Redskins surprise UA guard

Lefotu only Cat taken; others try free agency

JOHN MOREDICH

Tucson Citizen

http://www.tucsoncitizen.com/daily/sports/11030.php

University of Arizona offensive guard Kili Lefotu didn't expect to be drafted.

When the Cardinals called early in the final round to say they were interested, and then selected somebody else, he figured he would go the NFL free-agency route. That changed when his cell phone rang again yesterday.

"It was coach Joe Gibbs. He told me, 'Congratulations, you are going to be a Washington Redskins,' " Lefotu said.

Lefotu was not mentioned on any predraft ratings, but the 6-foot-4, 315-pounder was the only Wildcat selected. He went in the seventh round, the 230th pick, and UA's first draftee since 2003.

"I feel like my life went in a direction that I was not expecting," Lefotu said. "Heading into the day I felt free agency was the best way for me, but being picked by Washington, that changes everything. I'm so excited."

When it comes to O line, I trust Gibbs and co for sure. If they wanted this guy, they have a reason.

Well...I am not saying I don't trust Gibbs BUT its not like his draft day OLine decisions are golden, example Molinaro, Wilson, and Boschetti.

Very true, Gibbs has failed todate when it comes to drafting guys in the 6th and 7th round. I mean Wilson has been cut, Molinaro is just depth, and Boschetti has never played a down on the O-line (maybe because he is a DT). If Gibbs had anyclue what he was doing drafting O-line in the final 2 rounds we would already have 3 probowlers who almost went undrafted. hehe

Very true, Gibbs has failed todate when it comes to drafting guys in the 6th and 7th round. I mean Wilson has been cut, Molinaro is just depth, and Boschetti has never played a down on the O-line (maybe because he is a DT). If Gibbs had anyclue what he was doing drafting O-line in the final 2 rounds we would already have 3 probowlers who almost went undrafted. hehe

And if you had a clue, you'd know that Wilson was drafted in the 5th round, and that we didn't draft Boschetti, we drafted Nemo, who last we saw, was still on this team.

As for Molinaro being "just depth", what else is he going to be with Jansen and Samuels ahead of him?

Jason

go back and look at the Beathard drafts :)

for every Raleigh McKenzie found in round 11 or Clint Didier found in round 12, the Redskins missed out on a bunch of early picks like Wally Kleine (#2), Walter Murray (#2), Tory Nixon (#2), etc.

the Redskins have traded a lot of picks the last couple of years and so the performance of the players they have traded for has to count in the discussion of what kind of job the personnel department is doing.

In 2004 the team only had 4 draft choices. Other teams like the Eagles had 10-12 picks that year.

So, who do you think is more likely to have come up with a late round find, given their greater number of balls in the hopper? :)

That said, the Redskins did acquire #1 picks in Andre Carter and Adam Archuleta in the offseason, a #2 pick in Antwaan Randle El and a #4 pick in Brandon Lloyd.

When you add those players to the draft list the Redskins look a lot better don't they? :laugh: :D

just looking at him i wonder what he did in the 225 bench. i know the pacific islander guys often don't quite look as strong as they are, but he definitly looks like he could add some upper body strength. in any case if gibbs saysa he is a tenacious blocker than i am all for him. it's hard to teach killer instinct in blocking. just wish we had more of the measurables on the guy. how am i supposed to armchair GM without all the measurables???

Molinaro is still with the team after what has been two years, so the team is obviously confident he could fill in (with TE help) at OT if called upon

Saw this guy the first year at the Uof A in Tucson under Mackovic's program. He was not the biggest guy in the world. When Stoops cam in an implemented the strength and conditioning program this guy went through the roof. He can be an impact player on the O-line. Just give him time and trust Buge's and Gibbs.

Archived