Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

GoUpstate.com - McIntosh, the Quiet Contender

bobzmuda

Really good article.

http://www.goupstate.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060423/NEWS/604230368/1018/SPORTS

Here's a snippet

McIntosh can fly in more ways than one. But he's also more grounded than many of his contemporaries.

"It's still not over for me yet," he said Friday after returning from an interview with Washington. "I've still got to make a team."

Miami's Sound Machine

When a team invests as much as it's about to -- both in terms of money and draft-pick value -- as it likely will with McIntosh, you have to try hard not to make the team.

The 6-foot-2, 237-pound linebacker is expected to be taken in the first three rounds of next weekend's NFL draft.

If a four-year stint in the University of Miami's lineup wasn't enough for his resume -- the program is recognized as a traditional factory for pro linebackers -- the size/speed combo McIntosh needed to come from such ilk has kept his stock level throughout the typically volatile month leading up to the draft.

In a linebacker draft noted for its speed, McIntosh has consistently been rated among the top 10 prospects at the position.

ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. has McIntosh going No. 53 overall to Washington in his mock draft, while Scouts Inc. plugged him in at No. 51 to Miami.

One of McIntosh's agents, Michael Brown, said most teams he's talked with have McIntosh rated between Nos. 25-42 on their best player available lists.

Jacksonville assistant Dave Campo bragged about how well McIntosh did in breaking down schemes at the blackboard, and McIntosh squeezed in interviews with eight teams during the past three weeks: Cleveland, Minnesota, Houston, Tennessee, Miami, Detroit, St. Louis and Washington.

Several other mock drafts have linked him to Washington in the first or third rounds, while Jacksonville is also rumored to be showing strong interest.

"He's a good athlete, he's going to run and Miami linebackers always come in the league and play," one scout said.

Yet McIntosh stands out more for how he's defied the lawless Hurricanes' stereotype.

McIntosh graduated with a bachelor's degree in criminology in four years -- a feat in a time when five years has become the norm for football players because of their year-round duties.

He could have finished a semester earlier, too, but took fewer credit hours his first senior semester so he could graduate with his fiancée, Alessia.

McIntosh is six credit hours from another degree, this one in African-American studies, and plans to finish coursework online.

"He's not your typical U. of M type of guy," Brown said. "His quietness is part of his stability."

Cross country runner

Former Gaffney coach Joe Montgomery remembers being introduced to McIntosh by McIntosh's uncle, who did all the talking.

McIntosh, who was just as tall but weighed between 210-220 pounds, had excelled in high school sprinting and would be transferring to Gaffney, Montgomery was told.

"You don't get many kids who look like that and can run like he could," said Montgomery, Rock Hill's head coach.

Thanks for sharing Bob, great article.

I wonder if he's the first NFLer from Gaffney? Thats the town in SC that you drive through on 95S.

From here on out, I'm calling him 'The Peach' :)

42bssy5u.jpg

Wasn't Courtney Brown connected to Gaffney? I thought I remembered hearing about that town when he was drafted.

Wasn't Courtney Brown connected to Gaffney? I thought I remembered hearing about that town when he was drafted.

Brown was a SC boy, but I don't think he was from Gaffney. This guy is on their Chamber of Commerce site and I don't even remember him????

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/players/6122/

Gaffney's most famous resident is actress Andie Macdowell :)

Brown was a SC boy, but I don't think he was from Gaffney. This guy is on their Chamber of Commerce site and I don't even remember him????

I don't know, I wish I could find the article I remember. I just seem to recall Brown mentioning Gaffney at some point the year he was drafted. Maybe he has family there or something. I'll search around to try to find it. For some reason I've heard of the town before, now I just don't know why!:doh:

from what i heard, he has the capacity to play all 3 LB positions. Its clear that G. Williams and Co. wanted a versitile player... (Lamar Marshall type)

Yep.

When Williams first came here, he said he wanted LBs and DBs that are versitile and good at several positions and assignments.

McIntosh fits that mold. He's smart, a quick study, seems to have a good personality, and is very coachable.

Remember what Gibbs wants to see in a draftee or a FA before he makes them a Redskin (and in this order):

Character

Intelligence

Ability

Beieve me, if McIntosh is everything the coaches think he can be, then no one is going to care about the 2007 draft pick we traded to move up. Just like the fact that no one (but the most ardent 'don't-get-it' whiners) complains about the picks we traded to get Portis or Cooley anymore.

WOW, talk about a small world. I still have relatives in Gaffney and one of my great uncles on my father's side was mayor of Gaffney back in the 60's.

thank you!, i'd wish people stop crying about trading up for this guy. the coaching staff knows what they are doing!

I'm with ya! I said we wouldn't trade up, let alone get a LB (excuse me while I wipe all this egg off my face). I did say yesterday that the only exception on G/OT would be if either McIntosh or Kiwanuka are sitting. Then I went back and forth between CB or OLine position in the last seconds. After Coach Gibbs expressed his satisfaction with his FA's at the OLine, I feel Rocky makes a good fit for the defense since Lavar is gone. So, I am totally pleased with this pick and still curious who will be #153.

I don't know, I wish I could find the article I remember. I just seem to recall Brown mentioning Gaffney at some point the year he was drafted. Maybe he has family there or something. I'll search around to try to find it. For some reason I've heard of the town before, now I just don't know why!:doh:

Maybe you remember another LB from Gaffney, Dominique Stevenson. He played in one game for the skins in 2004.

Archived