Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Eagles attempting to move into the top 10 of the draft

Oldskool

Per Kffl/ESPN

Eagles | Trying to move up higher in NFL Draft

Fri, 28 Apr 2006 13:05:19 -0700

ESPN.com's John Clayton reports the Philadelphia Eagles are trying to trade to the No. 8 or No. 9 spot in the first round of the NFL Draft to select Florida State DT Brodrick Bunkley or Oregon DT Haloti Ngata. The Eagles aren't offering enough to get the Bills to give up the defensive tackle that fits their needs, Bunkley. If the price is right, though, the Bills could move from No. 8 to No. 14 and be able to get USC OT Winston Justice. The Eagles might have better success with the Lions, who have the ninth overall pick, but that would cost the Lions the player they want to draft.

The Eagles aren't offering enough to get the Bills to give up the defensive tackle that fits their needs, Bunkley.

Same tired old theme for the Eagles. Just plain cheap. If you want the quality player you have to pay for him. That is true in FA and the draft. I am also getting tired of constantly pointing it out so I will stop. The exception of cours e is to point out my current prediction that Walker will not be an Eagle.

Eagles moved up in the first round 2 of the last 3 years. But don't let that get in the way of a good irrational bash session, Fred Jones.

Please, prove me wrong. To get into the top ten the Eagles will actually have to give up something of value. Can they do that?

again deep only in defense not on offense. Worst draft for WR's in over a decade, decent TE, horrible tackle and center class and good guard class.

I'll give you WR and C.

TE -- Vernon Davis (possibly the best TE prospect ever), Leonard Pope, Mercedes Lewis, Dominique Byrd, Joe Klopfenstein, Anthony Fasano...all guys who could start and make an impact early. This TE class is one of the better TE classes in years. This is the second best TE class in a decade (2002).

T -- Fergason, Justice, Winston, McNeil, Scott, Colledge, Whitworth and O'Callaghan will all start. Colledge, who will probably get picked in the 3rd round, might end up as one of the top three of the draft. Talk about deep!

C -- I'll give you that its not that deep, but Mangold is being called by some the best C prospect to come out in years. But what draft has had a super deep center class? A lot of those G's you mention could play center as well.

Not to mention that other than DTackle, offensive line is the hardest draft position to judge, imo. There are always undrafted and late-round gems on the oline. Just look at the Cowgirls...they haven't drafted an offensive lineman in the first round in 20 years or so.

Please, prove me wrong. To get into the top ten the Eagles will actually have to give up something of value. Can they do that?

If they give up what they gave up the two previous times (2nd round pick), they can get to 8, no problem.

Your irrationality is amazing, at time.

Who would have thought everyone would take this opportunity to call a team who trades up in the draft arguably more than any other team in the NFL cheap.

Wait, I forgot.

Rule #1- Bash the Eagles

Rule #2- If facts don't align with Eagle bashing, bash harder.

Who would have thought everyone would take this opportunity to call a team who trades up in the draft arguably more than any other team in the NFL cheap.

Wait, I forgot.

Rule #1- Bash the Eagles

Rule #2- If facts don't align with Eagle bashing, bash harder.

I agree that theres not much to bash here. The draft is and always has been a crap-shoot. Whether its worth it to move up is impossible to know for years to come. So critiquing them for that move (before they've even done it, and before you know how the player they select pans out) is a little silly.

Kind of like expecting fair objective pro-Eagle commentary on the official messageboard of the Washington Redskins :)

I agree that theres not much to bash here. The draft is and always has been a crap-shoot. Whether its worth it to move up is impossible to know for years to come. So critiquing them for that move (before they've even done it, and before you know how the player they select pans out) is a little silly.

Kind of like expecting fair objective pro-Eagle commentary on the official messageboard of the Washington Redskins :)

Certainly never expected anything pro-Eagles. Objectivity isn't much to ask out of a site that touts itself as having the most informed posters around.

If they give up what they gave up the two previous times (2nd round pick), they can get to 8, no problem.

Your irrationality is amazing, at time.

In a couple of hours we will find out. It will be interesting to see if the Eagles pay the price to move into the top 10. I don't think they will. Moving into the the top ten is different then moving into the teens.

Also, I don't consider the Eagles cheap if they don't move up. The draft is about evaluating players. The Eagles are cheap because they won't spend the money to bring in FA players and won't spend the draft choices to get Walker which would fill a position of need for them. Now, being a skins fan, most teams are cheap compared to how the skins conduct business.

In a couple of hours we will find out. It will be interesting to see if the Eagles pay the price to move into the top 10. I don't think they will. Moving into the the top ten is different then moving into the teens.

Also, I don't consider the Eagles cheap if they don't move up. The draft is about evaluating players. The Eagles are cheap because they won't spend the money to bring in FA players and won't spend the draft choices to get Walker which would fill a position of need for them. Now, being a skins fan, most teams are cheap compared to how the skins conduct business.

So your saying if the Eagles spent their first round pick on Javon Walker you wouldn't criticize them for overpaying for a player coming off an ACL tear? Of course you would, everyone would, and they would be right. If the Packers lower their expectations within reason, the Eagles will make a push. They will not trade a first round pick, and that will be the right decision.

Archived