Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Three Wise Men

MuDDSL1DE

First, a little introduction. I've been lurking on this site for a while now, reading posts multiple times a day and finally became a member a few months ago. Born and raised a skins fan and will definetly die one. Hope to start posting more on this site from now on.

The last couple of days a certain thought has been stuck in my head. Known by all is that we have 3 coaches on our staff that could be head coaches on any other teamin the league. Gregg Williams was given the keys to the Defense by Gibbs and recieved total control over it. Al Saunders was brought in to install his high powered offense and to mix up the plays with his unpredictable playcalling. So I was wondering, with Williams taking care of the D and Saunders calling the plays on O, what exactly is Gibbs doing? I mean, like I know we're not the only team in the NFL to have Co-Ords but I just don't understand Joe's current place on the team. This is by no means a flaming post and I hope it isn't interpreted as such. Could anyone fill me in on what Joe's main responsobilties are?

P.S. Go Skins! :dallasuck

Its really not that strange a situation. He oversees the operations, and will be involved in game planning. Many teams use a similar situation. The coordinators obviously consult the coach for final decisions, but the coordinators handle much of the responsibility for their respective sides of the ball. In essence Gibbs is the CEO of the team, whereas the OC and DC are vice presidents under him.

Just wondering, but what are the chances Al Saunders will leave if our offense does extremely well next year for a head coaching job? Wasn't he really hoping to get one last year?

Probably possible, but I don't know that I'd say its likely. The Raiders were the only team that showed a significant interest in Saunders this year, so not sure one more good year of an offense (after his already impressive track record) is going to help his case that much. Also consider he is getting older for a head coaching candidate. Finally, he is making more here as an OC than he would in several other head jobs. Unless its a special situation I think Saunders may finish his career here.

Coaching wise, what Joe is going to do is basically oversee all three facets of the game focusing on the offensive side of the ball. Look at what Bill Belichick did when Romeo Crennel & Charlie Weis were in New England. He oversaw the entire team focusing on the defense. Joe will do the same thing, just paying more attention to the offense.

As far as Al Saunders leaving, he said in his press conference that he told his wife this would be the last move (though I don't always trust what people say in the press). He is being paid like a head coach, so I think he'll stay around a few years as long as he meshes well with Gibbs and the rest of the staff.

is this really that different from the '90s Cowboys where Johnson was the HC, Norv ran the offense and Wannstedt ran the defense? :)

did anyone denigrate Johnson for not being involved in the formulation of every play and every alignment?

Gibbs is the head coach and team president and is therefore responsible for the overall direction of the team. At 65 I don't expect him to get in a stance and try and show Chris Cooley how to execute blocking techniques or run linemen through contact drills.

His job is to oversee what Williams and Saunders do and evaluate how the team is responding.

That necessarily involves a greater amount of personnel responsibilities than he had in Gibbs I.

That extra time spent on the draft, free agency and the rookie class/UDFAs has to come from somewhere. Hence the larger staff this time around on offense.

Williams would be running the defense on his own regardless of when Gibbs returned to the team. He has never been a defensive coach.

I don't know if Saunders was looking for a head coaching job or head coaching $. He is making head coaching $ and then some here.

As for your post. Gibbs is the ultimate motivator. He has a unique ability to connect with his players and make sure they give every drop every play. I think that is a large part of his role w/ the team.

Gibbs could just "hang-out" at the park, and his presence there would help motivate everyone. Whether you like it or not, the personality/persona of the head coach drives the teams direction. By having Joe at the helm, I think it just gives the players more confidence that they are capable of having a great season and winning it all. The "winner's attitude" goes a long way in sports....

Just wondering, but what are the chances Al Saunders will leave if our offense does extremely well next year for a head coaching job? Wasn't he really hoping to get one last year?

Everything I've heard indicates that Saunders was not interested in becoming a head coach. In fact, it was reported that he denied a chance to even interview for the Radiers job. I think he's content to work his magic from the booth, and why wouldn't he be? He's as good as--or better than-- anyone else in the league at what he does, and he's making more money doing it than they are.

Archived