Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is Andy Reid the most overrated coach in recent NFL history?

chimster7

I think Andy Reid is one of the most overrated coaches in the past decade of the NFL. Under Reid's tutelage the O has never really been explosive. They have always been mediocre until TO. I think that TO can make any offense look good. Before him there O has never been anything special. I think Phillie's defense (combined with a weak NFC east) is what has made Philly a team to be reckoned with. Jim Johnson is an outstanding coach who has carried Philly on his shoulders. Mind you, I didn't say Reid was a bad coach, just very very overrated. I mean he's supposed to be an offensive genius. Thoughts on Reid?

As much as I like the guy...I think its Tony Dungy. Hes one of the best coaches during the regular season, but he cant get it done after week 17. He's coached the best team in the league (Indy and TB) and both times came up short.

Brian Billick is definitely the most overrated.

He was the O-Coord for the 98 Vikes that set loads of offensive records, but that Vikings team had Randall Cunningham, Robert Smith, Randy Moss, Cris Carter, and Jake Hunter. WE could have coordinated that Offense to 500 point season.

In all his years as an "offensive genius" Head Coach he has not once had a good, hell even an average Offense.

He won a Super Bowl because of Marvin Lewis's Defense.

Brian Billick is definitely the most overrated.

He was the O-Coord for the 98 Vikes that set loads of offensive records, but that Vikings team had Randall Cunningham, Robert Smith, Randy Moss, Cris Carter, and Jake Hunter. WE could have coordinated that Offense to 500 point season.

In all his years as an "offensive genius" Head Coach he has not once had a good, hell even an average Offense.

He won a Super Bowl because of Marvin Lewis's Defense.

I completely agree with this post. Billick is not a very good coach, he won a super bowl because he had one of the best defenses of all time playing. Hell they won something like 8-9 games because of their field goal kicker.

Not once has he had a decent offense in B'more and his hand picked QB should have been a bowler.

I think Andy Reid is one of the most overrated coaches in the past decade of the NFL. Under Reid's tutelage the O has never really been explosive. They have always been mediocre until TO. I think that TO can make any offense look good. Before him there O has never been anything special. I think Phillie's defense (combined with a weak NFC east) is what has made Philly a team to be reckoned with. Jim Johnson is an outstanding coach who has carried Philly on his shoulders. Mind you, I didn't say Reid was a bad coach, just very very overrated. I mean he's supposed to be an offensive genius. Thoughts on Reid?

Until last year Philly's offense has been very good under Reid. They had been in the top 10 in scoring in 3 of the previous 4 years and were 11th in the one year they weren't top 10. They averaged 12 wins a year over a 5 year period. That's pretty impressive.

Billick wins this one hands down. I don't think anybody is even a close 2nd.

Edit: I am changing my vote. Mike Nolan is actually a close second and everybody thinks he sucks. That should tell you something.

Reid has gotten a lot out of an Eagles' team that has never really had overwhelming talent...as opposed to say Tony Dungy - who as much as I respect him - has probably coached something like 10 future hall of famers/borderline hall of famers with nothing to show for it.

I wouldn't exactly say that Dungy has nothing to show for it. He has taken two perrenially horrible franchises and turned them into big winners and unfortunately big chokers. I would love to have Dungy coaching my regular season squad only to develop some mysterious ailment at the end of December.

Tampa Bay had just had 14 straight losing seasons when he was hired including 13 of those with double digit losses. The Colts had won 2 playoff games (both in 1995) since 1971 when he got there.

I wouldn't exactly say that Dungy has nothing to show for it. He has taken two perrenially horrible franchises and turned them into big winners and unfortunately big chokers. I would love to have Dungy coaching my regular season squad only to develop some mysterious ailment at the end of December.

Tampa Bay had just had 14 straight losing seasons when he was hired including 13 of those with double digit losses. The Colts had won 2 playoff games (both in 1995) since 1971 when he got there.

He's a terrific regular season coach. Like you, if I had a downtrodden franchise, I would hire him in an instant. And then I would fire him after the first season that he made the playoffs and bring in someone like Parcells.

To me, playoffs should account for something like 70 percent of a coach's resume. And Tampa Bay consistently flamed out in the playoffs until Gruden came along. Now Indy is blowing its window of opportunity.

The rest of the division was weak, through that run. Philly's lack of domination in the playoffs year after year proves something.

I think that two, the division was really bad. In the playoffs, they didn't show dominance at all. Plus, their defense lead to short yardage.

I completely agree with this post. Billick is not a very good coach, he won a super bowl because he had one of the best defenses of all time playing. Hell they won something like 8-9 games because of their field goal kicker.

Not once has he had a decent offense in B'more and his hand picked QB should have been a bowler.

In 2000 they had 4 games they didn't score a TD and still won 3 of them (the loss was to us).

I'll never forget the Brian Billick quote in his debut year with the Ravens...

"I know quarterbacks, and Stoney Case is MY quarterback."

Brian Billick

By four and half miles!!! The Ravens are known for their D, only Billick is an offensive guy. Hey, its Baltimore, so I hope they keep him, but I like ozzie newsome and it suprises me he hasn't axed Billick. If they don't turn it around this year he will certainly be GONE!

There is no way you could say AR is over rated, despite the weak division he still won lot's of games outside the division and had his team going into the playoffs with home field advantage and first round byes.

If he gets the team back on track they can be dangerous, but many of the division opponents are getting better at defending the Eagles offense.

Their defense has won them many games also and it seems that they are starting to decline on that side of the ball.

1. Tom Coughlin - what a putz!

2. Bill Parcells - I would take Dick Vermiel or Bill Cowher long before I hire

this two bit blowhard. Hell I'd hire SPURRIER before this boob

Thats my :2cents:

Spurrier?!? say it ain't so. I'm no Coughlin fan but I'd rehire M. Schotty before I'd even think about Spurriers sorry stay again.

How could Tony Dungy even be brought up as an overrated coach? The guy is responsible for the Tampa 2 defense that so many teams are now using.

In my opinion, the Tampa 2 defense is a regular season defense. It's predicated on speed over size and on pass rushing over run stopping. When you get to the playoffs, the weather gets bad and you play tough nosed, smash mouth running football teams. In the end, just like with pass happy offenses, defenses that lean towards pass rush/defense over run defense usually fizzle in the playoffs. I know the Bucs won the superbowl but they kind of got lucky they ended up playing the Raiders because they were a pass happy team and played right into Tampa's strengths. That kind of team usually isn't in the Superbowl.

Edit: It also didn't help that their starting center went AWOL and got himself suspended for the SB. Doesn't exactly make things any easier when you're an air it out team playing a pass rushing defense.

I'd put Shanahan on the short list of overrated coaches. Since Elway retired, the Redskins have won more playoff games than the Broncos.

The guy just seems to get a free pass. The Broncos consistently are huge spenders, but it never seems to amount to much. The Redskins get killed for doing what the Broncos do, but you seem to only see kisses blown Shanahan's way.

Archived