Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Terence Newman and Santana Moss

RiggoReincarnated

I have seen tape of both of the late touchdown catches by Moss from the game at Dallas last year.

Newman is a highly respected "shutdown" corner, yet I only saw Glenn and Williams anywhere in the vicinity of Moss on these catches. I wonder why Newman wasn't in the vicinity on either of these plays.

I would have thought that Newman would have been assigned to Moss, with perhaps the help of either Williams or Davis?

You don't assign players to players in a zone. He had responsibility for the other side of the field, and they lined Santana up away from him.

Also even in man defense, teams will sometimes put their best cover corner on the opposing teams #2 and leave him on an island. Then they'll double the #1 reciever with a corner and a safety.

It also kinda shows the respect Patten garnered. It was a zone and all, and we lined Moss up on the arguably weaker side, so it may have been just luck. However, Newman covered the field where Patten and possibly Cooley were, showing Patten was respected as a #2.

It also kinda shows the respect Patten garnered. It was a zone and all, and we lined Moss up on the arguably weaker side, so it may have been just luck. However, Newman covered the field where Patten and possibly Cooley were, showing Patten was respected as a #2.

Very good point. Moss said himself, he wanted Patten back for the playoffs. Numbers don't tell the entire story!

The fact that Newman was assigned to another part of the field is fine with me, I can understand the explanation behind that. What I don't understand though is why Zimmer just left Glenn in a zone to defend against Moss by himself, with minimal help from Williams available. They just witnessed Brunell bomb it deep to Santana for 6, and with the clock ticking down the Redskins obviously need a TD again, so why not adjust and try to plan for another bomb deep to Moss? That seems as dumb as when Tim Lewis left Will Allen alone on an island against Moss for the entire Giants/Skins game last December.

Moss would have ate Newman's lunch. They figure Newman had a bad season last year so you wanna let him build his confidence back up. Put him on Thrash all day and he'll feel good about himself. Put him on Moss and he'll be crying his self to sleep for weeks. You gotta be careful with his feelers.

Moss would have ate Newman's lunch. They figure Newman had a bad season last year so you wanna let him build his confidence back up. Put him on Thrash all day and he'll feel good about himself. Put him on Moss and he'll be crying his self to sleep for weeks. You gotta be careful with his feelers.

no remember Steve Smith and TO they were shut down when he covered them.;

If your No.1 CB is really good, using No.1 CB to cover No.2 WR is the strategy most teams use because you can leave him on the island. In this way, your FS only need to worry about helping your No.2 CB. I mean,Deion was covering N0.2 WRs most of the time.

Let's put in this way, if Spring and Harris play, lets say, Moss and Patten, you let spring cover Patten so that you can forget that field. SS can concentrate helping Harris to cover Moss.

We don't move our corners around to specific receivers either. Plus up until 4:00 left in that game it didn't seem like it was a worry. There were only about 5 people on the planet, Joe Gibbs being one of them, that thought Brunell could still get the ball deep.

You don't assign players to players in a zone. He had responsibility for the other side of the field, and they lined Santana up away from him.

Also even in man defense, teams will sometimes put their best cover corner on the opposing teams #2 and leave him on an island. Then they'll double the #1 reciever with a corner and a safety.

very good point, but dont do it again :D.. We have too many weapons for you to do this year

Archived