Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

LaVar close To Being a Giant!

E-Dog Night

I gotta believe that Antonio Pierce knows a little something about this. AP was here through Lavar's good years.......The last thing the Redskins need is a weakside linebacker with a chip on his shoulder and all the potential in the world trying to beat them down.[/Quote]

All good points, but I still say that it will not be LaVar who makes the players around him better, but vice-versa.

Honestly, I just don't think LaVar is all that good. I've watched him and watched him and then watched him some more over the years. He completely disappears for long stretches of games. He can get utterly neutralized by offensive linemen - can't beat them with speed, can't beat them with power, can't out-smart them with a wily rush move. And then if he does get to the QB, he often whiffs because he just never got that "controlled aggression" concept down. Every so often he has a nice hit that makes you go "Oooo" but not often enough to justify his hype or his salary.

The thing I don't deny he has a ton of talent dammed up inside him. Like I said, every so often, he'll make a play that makes you fall in love with him, and then an eon goes by before he makes another play like it. And then the opposing offense breaks a long play, and you ask yourself "What the hell happened there?"; sure enough, on the replay, you see Arrington get manhandled by a blocker or he over-runs his position because he thinks he sees something.

I will agree with you on the NFC East being easily the best division in football next year. Don't know about best division in "all of sports" - do you mean in history or in 2006?

And I'll acknowledge that LaVar, should he sign with the Giants, will improve their LB corps, but only because the Giants didn't have much there to begin with. There are dozens of OLBs in the league that would have improved the Giants in that area.

All good points, but I still say that it will not be LaVar who makes the players around him better, but vice-versa.

Honestly, I just don't think LaVar is all that good. I've watched him and watched him and then watched him some more over the years. He completely disappears for long stretches of games. He can get utterly neutralized by offensive linemen - can't beat them with speed, can't beat them with power, can't out-smart them with a wily rush move. And then if he does get to the QB, he often whiffs because he just never got that "controlled aggression" concept down. Every so often he has a nice hit that makes you go "Oooo" but not often enough to justify his hype or his salary.

The thing I don't deny he has a ton of talent dammed up inside him. Like I said, every so often, he'll make a play that makes you fall in love with him, and then an eon goes by before he makes another play like it. And then the opposing offense breaks a long play, and you ask yourself "What the hell happened there?"; sure enough, on the replay, you see Arrington get manhandled by a blocker or he over-runs his position because he thinks he sees something.

I will agree with you on the NFC East being easily the best division in football next year. Don't know about best division in "all of sports" - do you mean in history or in 2006?

And I'll acknowledge that LaVar, should he sign with the Giants, will improve their LB corps, but only because the Giants didn't have much there to begin with. There are dozens of OLBs in the league that would have improved the Giants in that area.

They did sign Brandon Short as well. I agree that Lavar has never reached his potential and a lot of that can be placed on him. Some of that has to be chalked up to the coaching carousel. I just wish more than anything that he hadn't gotten hurt against, oddly enough, the Giants in 04. That was going to be his year. This coaching staff was going to give him that continuity. Every year prior to that he was used at a different position. When he was used as a rush end he had 11 sacks so he can get off a block. Also, expecting Lavar Arrington to beat an Offensive lineman is not realistic. Lavar is a linebacker. I garauntee if you lined up any linebacker in this league against a quality offensive tackle. The tackle would win 9 out of ten times. The key is to get your weakside guy on a tight end or a chipping fullback and Gregg Williams was the only one who ever did that. IE the only guy who ever tried to make Lavar a true weakside linebacker. Unfortunately he got hurt and then pride on both sides got in the way. I just have a sense that this match with Lavar and NY would be right for him and a good fit for the team. That spells potential trouble for the Redskins.

I realize that saying this division is the best in the history of sport is an arguable statement at the very least but there are a lot so Super Bowl rings and a lot of division championship in this division and a lot of really good young and veteran talent. Injuries will ultimately determine how is all shapes out but the Giants are strong. The Redskins are strong. The Cowboys are going to be healthy and they have some young studs on defense that teams are going to have to pay attention too. The Eagles are the Eagles. All they did is go to 4 straight NFC championship games and they are going to be hungriest of all. It will be fun to watch this all play out on the field.

"Ummm, in a word, no.

Do you really think that a team with the deepest pockets in the league would try a fast one like that? This isn't like buying a gallon of milk. This is dealing with a player that you plan on being around for a while and agents who represent other players that you may want to have somewhere down the road. It just doesn't make any sense."

um yes. but I must confess that the idea isn't mine. I have been struck by how many of my African American friends (and so few of my caucasian friends) think this to be the case. before anyone goes off the deep end - it is not a racial issue in the sense of the Skins actively cheating a minority in their minds. it's how they see the football business process.

Arington a Giant as per Frank Coyle : Archer : 4/21/06 10:13 PM

Draft Insiders.com has learned today that the Giants signed former Washington Redskin linebacker Lavar Arrington to a long term contract. The contract was sent to the NFL league office Friday for approval before an official announcement is made by the club. The official announcement may wait until Monday before the media reports it, but Arrington will play for the G Men after signing a long term deal. Arrington was back in New Jersey on Thursday for a physical that cleared him to sign with the G Men. It was Arrington's second visit with the Giants after previously speaking to them in early March. The Giants had balked after the initial interview when Arrington refused to take a physical with concerns about the condition of his surgically repaired right knee. With the physical on Thursday, Arrington eliminated any health concerns the Giants had over a long term deal. Arrington wanted to sign a contract before the NFL Draft '06 next weekend. He had limited options other than the Giants with only the Packers and possibly the Dolphins interested at this time. The terms of the contract will not be announced until the league approves it but it is not the asking price of seven years, $54 million dollar deal with an eight figure signing bonus. With the Giants, he is re-united with former Redskins teammate Antonio Pierce and former Penn St teammate Brandon Short who resigned with the Giants earlier this week. Short signed only a one year deal and was originally drafted by the Giants but spent the past two seasons with the Panthers. The Giants hold the 25th pick in the '06 draft and can address several needs with the OLB position now at their highest priority. Arrington's agent is the same agent as linebacker Julian Peterson's agent, Kevin Poston who had signed a seven-year deal with the Seattle Seahawks in March. He played his entire career with the San Fran 49er

']Arington a Giant as per Frank Coyle : Archer : 4/21/06 10:13 PM

Draft Insiders.com has learned today that the Giants signed former Washington Redskin linebacker Lavar Arrington to a long term contract. The contract was sent to the NFL league office Friday for approval before an official announcement is made by the club. The official announcement may wait until Monday before the media reports it' date=' but Arrington will play for the G Men after signing a long term deal. Arrington was back in New Jersey on Thursday for a physical that cleared him to sign with the G Men. It was Arrington's second visit with the Giants after previously speaking to them in early March. The Giants had balked after the initial interview when Arrington refused to take a physical with concerns about the condition of his surgically repaired right knee. With the physical on Thursday, Arrington eliminated any health concerns the Giants had over a long term deal. Arrington wanted to sign a contract before the NFL Draft '06 next weekend. He had limited options other than the Giants with only the Packers and possibly the Dolphins interested at this time. The terms of the contract will not be announced until the league approves it but it is not the asking price of seven years, $54 million dollar deal with an eight figure signing bonus. With the Giants, he is re-united with former Redskins teammate Antonio Pierce and former Penn St teammate Brandon Short who resigned with the Giants earlier this week. Short signed only a one year deal and was originally drafted by the Giants but spent the past two seasons with the Panthers. The Giants hold the 25th pick in the '06 draft and can address several needs with the OLB position now at their highest priority. Arrington's agent is the same agent as linebacker Julian Peterson's agent, Kevin Poston who had signed a seven-year deal with the Seattle Seahawks in March. He played his entire career with the San Fran 49er[/quote']

So it begins. Difficult to discern if he signed for less money to play against the skins twice a year. I sure hope that is not what he did. What goes around comes around.

I gotta believe that Antonio Pierce knows a little something about this. AP was here through Lavar's good years and his injury years. If he didn't think LA would make the Giants better then he never would have said so. I gotta think Jeremiah Trotter knows something about this too. He wanted to get LA in Philly. Gotta think that Nick Saban and Jack Del Rio know something about this too. The showed some interest in Lavar.

Lavar said he wanted to get to know his next team very well before signing. He also said he wanted to play against the B&G twice a year. Well him and his agents seem close to getting those two things worked out. The Giants coaching staff isn't just a bunch of new guys off the street. The Giants have some pretty dam good support around Arrington and he has a lot to prove. Those are some dangers things that could easily equal trouble for the Redskins.

I think this upcoming season is going to be one of the best the NFL has ever seen. The NFC East from top to bottom may be the best division ever assembled in all of sports. When you look at everything from the coaching staff to the 53rd man on each roster you see ALOT of talent across the board. The teams in this division are going to be beating the crap out of each other week in and week out this season. Couple that with the fact that the NFC East has to play the NFC South and the AFC South and the road is going to be pretty bumpy. If Lavar goes to the AFC it would be a good thing for the Redskins. The last thing the Redskins need is a weakside linebacker with a chip on his shoulder and all the potential in the world trying to beat them down.

speculation and giants credentials on redskins.com

wow...how off the mark can you get? :doh: Maybe, you should look around and read some of MH's posts on the 'skins. He is very much a true Redskin fan, he just liked LA as well. I think we all have certain players we like to see do well, even if they are not on the 'skins....just as long as it's not against the 'skins. so here's :2cents: go buy a clue ;) . LA was good to the 'skins, except for the last couple years.

Where do you get he was good to the REDSKINS. when he lied about being injured, when he lied about the retirement act,when he didn't study film and it costed us,when he didn't listen to the coaches,when he was always media mouthed,when he only made millions and was complaining while my tickets continue to go up for players like him. TRUE REDSKINS ONLY ROOT FOR THE REDSKINS AND SURELY NOT A giant,cowboy, or eagle. Maybe I am learning a little of what kind of fans are on this site. Alot of people have computers not just Redskin fans OR THERE IS A CERTAIN PERCENTAGE OF REDSKIN FANS THAT BREATHE THE BURGANDY & GOLD!!!

not closed minded....that's the board rules. ;) Redskins info only in The Stadium. Last time I checked...LA is not a Redskin ;) .

Where do you get he was good to the REDSKINS. when he lied about being injured, when he lied about the retirement act,when he didn't study film and it costed us,when he didn't listen to the coaches,when he was always media mouthed,when he only made millions and was complaining while my tickets continue to go up for players like him. TRUE REDSKINS ONLY ROOT FOR THE REDSKINS AND SURELY NOT A giant,cowboy, or eagle. Maybe I am learning a little of what kind of fans are on this site. Alot of people have computers not just Redskin fans OR THERE IS A CERTAIN PERCENTAGE OF REDSKIN FANS THAT BREATHE THE BURGANDY & GOLD!!!

Those of us that are know the truth and those of you that aren't TRUE REDSKINS know also.

I told myself I would never post anymore about this topic because of the strong beliefs people have, it's either right or wrong, no in between, but I keep reading stuff like this and wonder what people are really thinking about.

It's wonderful to love this team (to a degree) but please understand this team is made up of players, players that come and go. Players and coaches that need to do what is best for them in the long term. So I at this point will never fault a player for leaving for what he thinks is best for him and his family, because in 10 years, we aren't going to care much about them, and they still have to pay the bills that the Redskins or any other organization will not do.

So for this person to say that they guy spit in the organizations face for giving the money back has truly not thought about what he is saying.

Some of you folks forget that he was not givin any kind of promise not to be a June 1 cut??? Also with the crazy money they spent on some players that I and a lot of people think that should not have givin them he certainly would not have been around here long!! So why not give it back?? Let him go out and find employement with someone who wants him.

Come on people think sometimes, take off the Redskins blinders and think about stuff sometimes.

I would like for ya'll to check out SportCenter and listen to what Ray Lewis had to say about the teams putting their star players in a position to make plays, then come back and think about why a lot of our people have "left the building" Especially LA!!!!

Please!! you act like this chump is eating at the soup kitchen. the man is a liar is that what I want my kids to see. The fans pay suckers like this. he didn't like to listen and could get away with it with spurrier and others but when HEAD COACH JOE GIBBS PUT HIM ON THE BENCH HIS CHARACTER CAME OUT AND HE WASN'T PRODUCING!!!

hanster, you're really coming off like an *******. i would suggest being a bit more cordial if you want to last around here. you don't make the rules for what a true redskin fan is. you've been here for a month, you don't get to make rules yet. ;) go back and check the replies to when you had the audacity to call me a questionable fan at the beginning of this thread.

Please!! you act like this chump is eating at the soup kitchen. the man is a liar is that what I want my kids to see. The fans pay suckers like this. he didn't like to listen and could get away with it with spurrier and others but when HEAD COACH JOE GIBBS PUT HIM ON THE BENCH HIS CHARACTER CAME OUT AND HE WASN'T PRODUCING!!!

champ got benched? :whoknows:

wow...how off the mark can you get? :doh: Maybe, you should look around and read some of MH's posts on the 'skins. He is very much a true Redskin fan, he just liked LA as well. I think we all have certain players we like to see do well, even if they are not on the 'skins....just as long as it's not against the 'skins. so here's :2cents: go buy a clue ;) . LA was good to the 'skins, except for the last couple years.

;) .

thanks, x. you've been around long enough to know. han will learn. but me thinks he'll learn the hard way. searching someones post history is probably a bit too much work for him. :)

anyways, sad to see LA go to the gints. being around AP, i'm sure he'll bash the organization in some way. i'll end up hating him, wouldn't be that way had he gone to san diego, jax, miami, basically anywhere but the nfc east. :mad:

Giants | Work left to be done on Arrington deal

Fri, 21 Apr 2006 23:02:15 -0700

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl

Mike Garafolo, of the Star-Ledger, reports there is still work to be done before the New York Giants can sign free agent LB LaVar Arrington (Redskins). The work left to be done likely includes agreeing on how much money will be guaranteed and how much will be packaged as incentives and roster bonuses. Arrington's agents, Carl and Kevin Poston, are undoubtedly trumpeting Arrington as a former No. 2 overall draft pick deserving of a double-digit signing bonus, while the Giants are probably pointing to his last two injury-shortened seasons as reasons to protect themselves from future salary cap hits. Carl Poston expected to talk to the Giants Saturday, April 22, but did not rule out the possibility he will speak to other teams as well. In fact, as soon as he made that statement, Poston received a call from a member of Green Bay Packers front office. "We're still talking to other teams," he said. "We haven't planned (to talk to the Giants today), but we'll probably talk. I think that's what helps get deals done." Both sides want a deal done by this time next week, when the NFL Draft begins. Poston would not say if the Giants are Arrington's top target, but someone who recently spoke to a member of Arrington's camp said they are.

hanster, you're really coming off like an *******. i would suggest being a bit more cordial if you want to last around here. you don't make the rules for what a true redskin fan is. you've been here for a month, you don't get to make rules yet. ;) go back and check the replies to when you had the audacity to call me a questionable fan at the beginning of this thread.

I give my thoughts on what a TRUE REDSKIN fan is and you don't like it, that is fine but I didn't start calling you or anybody names. If that is what you do I don't have the time to respond to your quotes any longer. I was a REDSKIN fan years and years before I ever learned about this site and I really have no problems not communicating to people that don't respect a lifelong REDSKIN!!!

I give my thoughts on what a TRUE REDSKIN fan is and you don't like it, that is fine but I didn't start calling you or anybody names. If that is what you do I don't have the time to respond to your quotes any longer. I was a REDSKIN fan years and years before I ever learned about this site and I really have no problems not communicating to people that don't respect a lifelong REDSKIN!!!

dude, i didn't disrespect you. i don't know you enough to call you an *******, i said you're coming across as such. you really need to look around a while and see how this board operates. being an ******* to fellow members will not get you anywhere here.

like i said, you don't make the rules about what a true redskin fan is. i live and die with this team. again, i invite you to check my original response to you on page one of this thread.

respect is earned around here, pal. :)

Archived