Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ok...I said we were going to win..

Potato Sack

I had a very positive feeling about this game. I stopped just short of declaring it a feeling game due to ever-present Norvities, and some part of me just not completely believing all things Spurrier quite yet :).

But, this game is on Lewis and that defense. If that's fixed, the offense will be better and we'll resemble where we can be as a team.

Originally posted by Art

I had a very positive feeling about this game. I stopped just short of declaring it a feeling game due to ever-present Norvities, and some part of me just not completely believing all things Spurrier quite yet :).

But, this game is on Lewis and that defense. If that's fixed, the offense will be better and we'll resemble where we can be as a team.

This game is on Lewis? I'd say Spurrier deserves some blame too, since his offense managed less than 200 total yards and ZERO points.

hahahaha

:pint:

Stinknugget,

An offense like Spurrier's needs to be on the field long enough to set up and execute. When you have Eagle corners shadowing receivers and forcing a QB like Shane out of the pocket, you really think we have a chance? No. We needed a defense, unlike the one Lewis conjured up for us last night. Right now, I would consider Lewis in the doghouse only two games into his first season with the 'Skins.

Stinky,

Spurrier will take blame if similar performances are seen. But, this game is on the defense and Lewis. The offense was put into a situation that it had to go at the teeth of your strengths because the defense didn't do its' job. If we make the appropriate plays and keep those early drives from happening, Spurrier is able to cycle through the offense he may have had in place that might have worked. But, we'll see how that goes. I'm sure we'll have moments of anger with Spurrier. Right now, it's rightfully on Lewis.

I think SS deserves some of the blame a)because he is the head coach and B) I think we adandoned the run too early. Even when it was 14-7, I would have liked to see more Davis. Not saying that Lewis is off the hook, he ought to shoulder the bulk of it, but the buck stops with SS.

Posse, it was never 14-7 with it being our ball. They scored immediately to make it 17-7 before we got it back. People keep talking about "abandoning the run" but did we really? Spurrier ran a bit earlier. With the score 17-7 he ran twice. Once with Davis and the second with Bailey, who fumbled. The Eagles got the ball and scored to make it 20-7.

We then had a late drive that was mostly passing, but, it was effective. The fourth down call wasn't great. They then scored to make it 23-7. After stopping them in the third quarter, we opened with a sweet screen that gets taken back on an awful holding call. We then run Davis, and pass a couple of times. While I agree we could have run more here, this really is the first time after closing it to 14-7 that we had a chance.

A horrible punt and they score to make it 30-7. There really wasn't available time to run the ball in this game more than we did.

art,

I was at the game and the offense was horrendous. the vaunted F&G was nothing but dink and dunk last night and we couldn't even execute that correctly: Shane simply can't do it, the evidence is pretty clear by now that he prefers to hit linemen in the helmet rather than receivers on these checkdown safety valves. Even when plays were set up well, the team didn't execute: I don't know how many screens there were where the blocking was in place but the Philly defenders beat through them easily for no gains or losses. The concentration on offfense was terrible (on defense also) with key penalties, dropped passes, terrible headwork (a QB specialty it appears), fumbles, etc. SOS is eventually going to have to suck it up and admit that genious or no genious, you need NFL caliber athleticism at QB. Play after play Philly defenders closed on the soft passes Shane/Danny threw. We were lucky that there weren't 3-4 ints last night.

other (not original) thoughts:

- no pass rush (why do other teams contain blitzes well, but our O-line doesn't?)

- poor containment

- terrrel gave up duty touch

- bad coaching: when players are routinely telling one another where to go; when the defense has to take a timeout cuz they don't know what to do

- marvin was simply outcoached last night

- front office bads: everyone knew guard and dt + speed at DE were problems; obviously, they did not address these problems very well from a risk pov, especially when one considers that Parella and some others were there for the taking

- there's too much showtime nonsense about this team; dan snyder et al are trying to provide entertainment value, I understand, but it just seems to detract from a sense of purpose and mission for the team (I'm referring to the fireworks, player intros, the radio guy - spivak - who tries to work the crowd); the philly guys, by contrast, seemed very focused and dedicated to one thing: winning

- the fedex crowd is embarrassing; even for Monday night, the seats didn't fill up until the game started; there was little electricity (unlike RFK) prior to the game: no "we're on MNF, let's show em who we are" energy

- repeat theme: the team will not beat good defenses with the current QBs being played. Ramsey needs to get in to prep for next year.

- controversial point: the receiving corps isn't there. this offense needs to find time to execute (i.e., to defeat blitzes) and one area to accomplish that is speed at the wideouts; from a distance, it doesn't seem to be there

- lot of missed tackles last night (shades of years past)

oddly, the team doesn't seem to have an identity yet. I can't put my finger on it, but it just doesn't seem as tho it has a distinct "personality". that's doubly true for many of the wine & cheesers up in the stands.

anywho....just my "angry the day after" thoughts. SOS is going to need a year to learn the ropes. last night was, frankly, pathetic and worse than many college games I have seen.

Archived