Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What keeps you being a Redskins fan

XSean21TaylorX

I got what you're saying. I used to be a Bulls fan but when Scottie and Jordan left I never watch them. But if we had a complete overhall of players would I still be Redskins fan? YES! I've seen QB's from Doug Williams to Heath Shuler, running backs from Ernest Byner to Rock Cartwright. Its the Organization that I love. There is just something about The Burgundy and Gold and I'm not even from D.C. :logo:

the bulls were different, i mean everyone loved them.... we will never again able to see the best player in NBA history ever again.. that team was great to watch

What keeps me being a Redskins fan is......... the Family. We are all a big huge Redskins family. Even though thick and thin we all stick together. These last 10 years have been hell, and only the true fans have stayed with the family. Right now we are as strong as we will ever be and we have no weak links.

In order to explain why I'm still a Redskins fan, I must relate the following anecdote:

The 1986 season was really my first. I watched the '85 Bears with the passing curiosity of a 7-year-old. It whetted my appetite for football. The next season I watched the skins. I learned the rules, the terminology, the names: Monk, Clark, Green. These guys became larger than life. I couldn't wait to see them win the Super Bowl like the Bears did the year prior.

But it wasn't meant to be. In the playoffs, my Redskins, my heros, ran up against the best team in football, the New York Giants. With so much emotion invested in the team and with an 8-year-old's time horizon, I just couldn't accept my team losing. The Redskins can't lose, they're the best. But the Giants were too tough. I began to cry.

My mother saw my distress and called my grandfather, my Pop. A few minutes later, my mother handed me the receiver, telling me Pop had something to tell me. I explained to Pop the source of my distress -- the Redskins weren't going to win the Super Bowl. After listening patiently, Pop stated, "they can always win it next year." How profound. They can win it next year. My spirit was restored, and I began to think, "Man, I feel sorry for the Giants next season."

Of course next year was 1987, the year of Super Bowl XXII. The Redskins validated my faith and crushed the Broncos.

So in a word, what keeps me a Redskins fan? Faith.

HAIL!!!

I follow many teams in different codes in different countries, but I have always stayed loyal to the teams i follow, at times it is frustrating but i always feel that if i didnt follow the skins then there would be a part of my sporting life missing.

Been a devoted fan since 1972. I never once thought of ditching them. Not even thru a lot of tough years I always expected them to overcome. And no matter how let down I was I'd remain optimistic about the next. The Burgundy and Gold gets in your blood and there ain't no getting it out.

Archived