Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Strength of Team Schedules for 2006

StepyagameuP

I love how the Bears have the weakest schedule and the Saints have the toughest one. How exactly does THAT work? I understand that the divisional matchups are at play, but even so something seems amiss....

the Bears play the NFC North for 6 games, the Saints play the NFC South... see the difference?

this stuff does not matter. so many teams change records from year to year. i mean who thought the bears would be 11-5 last year. tampa, washington, and carolina came from 5-11 and 6-10 to become 10-6 playoff teams. all this is, its based on last season. Watch this change when next year begins.

This doesn't mean much. We'll see how these numbers look at the end of 06 to see whose schedule is weaker.

For ex: do you think Arizona will be another crappy team this year? What about Cleveland? You think New England will be a division leader this year?

I just hope that I don't have to watch a bunch of crappy games.

yeh, I find this strength of schedule measurement rather off sometimes. I guess the post season numbers can reflect more, but there are other factors that affect strength of schedule, one being home games. A good team can win no matter what, a middle team may be able to win away, but will most probably win at home, while a horrible team better hope their fans are still in their home field stands. There should be a way to calculate team records in relation to home and away situations or something.

this stuff does not matter. so many teams change records from year to year. i mean who thought the bears would be 11-5 last year. tampa, washington, and carolina came from 5-11 and 6-10 to become 10-6 playoff teams. all this is, its based on last season. Watch this change when next year begins.

Yes. Remember last year at this time? Redskins supposedly had the 28th ranked (5th easiest) schedule based on 2004. Woopee. Sally Jenkins used this "fact" to insult the Redskins mid-season when the Redskins had a 5-6 record, describing the "gloom" that has overtaken the Redskins since Snyder took over. But this "fact" was based on 2004 teams, not 2005 teams. And as the season progressed, the actual strength of schedule by the end had us ranked third most difficult schedule in the league for 2005.

Bottom line: Strength of schedule based on prior season means diddly.

The schedule is completely setup years beforehand, really is random in terms of strength, and nobody has input in it.

Each team in a division has a schedule almost identical to eachothers. That way one team cant complain the other got a much easier schedule, since they only differ by around 2 games. Each team plays their division teams twice. Then each team plays the same AFC division(4 games total). Then each team plays the same NFC division(4 games). Finally the last 2 games are against random opponents.

The schedule is completely setup years beforehand, really is random in terms of strength, and nobody has input in it.

Each team in a division has a schedule almost identical to eachothers. That way one team cant complain the other got a much easier schedule, since they only differ by around 2 games. Each team plays their division teams twice. Then each team plays the same AFC division(4 games total). Then each team plays the same NFC division(4 games). Finally the last 2 games are against random opponents.

...except the opponents are not random. They are weighted to match like-ranked opponents in the other divisions as stipulated in the schedule.

http://www.johnnyroadtrip.com/schedules/nfl_future_nfce.htm

For example, the division leading Giants play the division leading Bears and the division leading Seahawks. The 2nd place Redskins play the second place Vikings and the second place Rams. And so on.

Archived