Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins First Pick In The Draft Has Gotten Better BUT.....

RDSKNFN_48

Think about how our first pick (whether it's in the first round or not) have turned out in the last couple of years. (Rogers and Taylor hopefully will turn the trend around).

Patrick Ramsey QB Tulane (Great Attitude and Great Arm...Holding Out and Steve Spurrier cemented his grave early).

Rod Gardner WR Clemson (Had one GOOD year. Thought he was a No#1 Receiver. Struggling to make the Packers as a third).

LaVar Arrington LB Penn State (Great Potential....Undisciplined....Would have been the best the Skins had but choosing #56 on Draft Day was the beginning of the end).

Champ Bailey CB Georgia (One of the best in the game. Gets burned way too often to be considered a "Shutdown Corner").

Steven Alexander TE Oklahoma (Had Size, Speed, Hands but was a bust from the word GO).

Kenard Lang DE Miami (Has had a decent career but being a 'tweener' and not having a real position has hurt).

Andre Johnson T Penn State (Who?)

Michael Westbrook WR Colorado (Probably THE MOST HATED Redskin ever).

(Shuler to Westbrook was supposed to be the next Aikman to Irvin :doh: No wonder Norv can't coach).

Heath Shuler QB Tennessee (He was supposed to be the next Aikman?)

Tom Carter CB Notre Dame (Had a couple of decent years. Could hit but couldn't cover a blanket if he was standing on it).

Desmond Howard WR Michigan (Heisman Trophy Winner....Coming off a Super Bowl and getting him was a coupe. To bad he played better for the Packers).

98 -Alexander wasn't a bust, but was just average as a TE.

97 Lang was never a tweener- he was/is a prototypical sized DE, who has had a successful career - Could have been very good to excelent with good coaches.

96 - Johnson has got to be the biggest bust in the last decade. I still don't understand how scouts could have him ranked as a 1st rounder and then he can't even play a one down in the NFL (never injured). How can they get it that wrong?

92 Howard was bust, his only success was as a return man with the Packers.

Essentially agreed with your other comments.

Rod Gardner WR Clemson (Had one GOOD year. Thought he was a No#1 Receiver. Struggling to make the Packers as a third).

Also remember that he didn't make it to the start of the season with the Panthers last year. Talk about short comings. He was good, got a big head and stopped developing. He became a self ticking timebomb.

Was Alexander a 1st round pick??..????

no.

Most of those picks made sense at the time.

If you did the same list for a lot of teams you'd see a similar trend - some work out, some work out when they leave, some don't work out at all.

And people wonder why we go the Free Agent Route. LOL.

They go the free agent Route because they don't do their homework. Nothing wrong with free agency but teams in todays' CAP Era shouldn't build mainly through free agency.

Alexander was a 2nd rounder. We didn't have a first round pick that year. And he wnet to the por-bowl as a Redskin. His simply had trouble with injuries.

Fact is, every single first pick we made from 1997-2002 became a full-time starter on the team. Three of them (out of six) went to at least one pro-bowl. (Four of seven if you count Samuels.)

That is a GREAT track record.

These guys are no longer with the Redskins not because they were bad players, but because a new coach every two years causes huge player turnover. The fact is, every single one of those players was either traded away or signed with another team. Gardner's really the only one that busted out after leaving us, and the jury's still out on Ramsey.

We draft just fine in the early rounds. Hanging on to the head coach has been our big problem.

Alexander was a 2nd rounder. We didn't have a first round pick that year. And he wnet to the por-bowl as a Redskin. His simply had trouble with injuries.

Fact is, every single first pick we made from 1997-2002 became a full-time starter on the team. Three of them (out of six) went to at least one pro-bowl. (Four of seven if you count Samuels.)

That is a GREAT track record.

These guys are no longer with the Redskins not because they were bad players, but because a new coach every two years causes huge player turnover. The fact is, every single one of those players was either traded away or signed with another team. Gardner's really the only one that busted out after leaving us, and the jury's still out on Ramsey.

We draft just fine in the early rounds. Hanging on to the head coach has been our big problem.

Yeah our early draft picks have been very good.

It's the mid-late draft picks that have stunk.

Andre Johnson was one of the most puzzling players I've ever seen. Period.

I don't think he was a puzzling pick, however. Johnson wasn't a top talent, but, by all appearances, seemed like a very solid player. Smart. Good size. Good technique. Johnson domninated Simeon Rice--twice--in college. And the Skins were absolutely desparate for a left tackle. Seemed like a good trade to move up and take him, at the time.

His performance in training camp was mind boggling. He struggled at everything. How could a guy play at a high level in college and simply look SO out of place in the NFL?

I'm a little torn trying to figure out if Johnson was simply a monstrous scouting bungle, or if a coaching staff--perceived as a little soft--was using the struggling Johnson to send a message. Even Desmond Howard--who looked overmatched as an NFL WR from the very start--got more of a chance to make something of himself.

I just ant to say that Im dissapointed that we do not even have a first round pick this year with all the good quality players that are out there in this years draft...also the fact that we gave up our first for this year to Denver last year for Campbell and the guy hasnt even played, this is pretty stupid, if he was playing Id understand the theory behind their decision, but hes not and that just upsets me a little bit, maybe Im the only one who knows!!

I just ant to say that Im dissapointed that we do not even have a first round pick this year with all the good quality players that are out there in this years draft...also the fact that we gave up our first for this year to Denver last year for Campbell and the guy hasnt even played, this is pretty stupid, if he was playing Id understand the theory behind their decision, but hes not and that just upsets me a little bit, maybe Im the only one who knows!!

There's quality in the latter rounds this year and we need depth, not necessarily starters (particularly when you're talking rookies). This is a good year to be picking for quality backups.

Would love to have a shot somewhere at the top of the draft this year but that would mean we sucked. Since we need depth our picks aren't the worst thing.

Campbell - don't know if he's a bust yet. Giving him time on the bench I think is a good idea. He came from a running system at Auburn and throwing him into the NFL as a starter would have been ugly. He should start soon but I think even this year (barring injury) may be early - especially with a new system from Saunders. Veterans can adapt quicker to a new system so Campbell may have a 1 year set back IMHO. (caveat: if Brunell looks like 2004 Brunell then I take that back and call for Campbell).

Don't forget that we drafted Chris Samuels in the first round in 2000.

In 2000 our first two picks were...

#2 Overall: LaVar Arrington

#3 Overall: Chris Samuels

In 2004:

#5 Overall: Sean Taylor

3rd Round: Chris Cooley

In 2005:

#9 Overall: Carlos Rogers

#25 Overall: Jason Campbell

...not bad.

Archived