Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Grand Canyon

CandaceM23

O-tay!

In May ... I'm heading to Vegas ... and we're planning to leave Vegas for two days to visit the Grand Canyon. We were planning on renting a car and just driving to the Canyon on Saturday morning - and we'll return to Vegas late Sunday night.

So can anyone give me any hints or tips? It has been suggested that I stay in Williams, AZ because it's a populated area with hotels ... but I've heard that it's about 60 miles south of the park.

Is there anything that I have to see? What can I expect?

Muchas Gracias!!!

Awesomer! :applause:

If you've never been you're in for a treat. If possible, go to the north rim instead of the south. Or better yet both, but two days isn't a lot of time. The south rim is where most of the touristy stuff is, and is also considerably lower in elevation. The north rim is more rustic (at least it was last time I was there in 98) and I think the views are much better. Take some time to check out the lodge. It was built in the 30's I think during a wpa project that built these really cool lodges in a number of national parks.

I took a helicopter ride through the Canyon a couple of years ago. It was really amazing. I would recommend getting a sky view as well as one on foot. For me, it was part of a tour to the Canyon and then we helicoptered back to Vegas. Really beautiful.

I'd strongly recommend that you take time to hike into the canyon and get away from tourists. As you drop into the canyon you get a very different perspective from the rim.

If you are in good shape it is not hard to hike to the river and back in the same day from the South Rim, although the park service doesn't recommend it.

You want an adrenaline rush ?

Take one of those donkey rides to the bottom.

The old mules ride along a thin trail that edges the cliffs, keeping you in suspense whether the donkey can maintain its sense of balance throughout the ordeal.

The old mules ride along a thin trail that edges the cliffs, keeping you in suspense whether the donkey can maintain its sense of balance throughout the ordeal.

The mule ride might sound charming but you may regret it...my a** did. It's been a while ago but that's still one of the very distinct memories I have of it.

The mule ride might sound charming but you may regret it...my a** did. It's been a while ago but that's still one of the very distinct memories I have of it.

I hiked down passing the mules.

The mule train looked slow, smelly and uncomfortable, and you don't get to choose when to stop when you want.

If you are in good shape I think you'd enjoy using your own two feet.

Do they still do that? I thought a mule fell off a couple years ago, and they stopped doing it. :whoknows:

Okay ... can anyone recommend a hotel ???

Don't be a wuss...camp!! There are tons of sweet campgrounds in the area.

What stood out to me was how dangerous it is there.

You'll just be walking along... and 5 feet to the left of you is a 5000 foot sheer dropoff. No handrails, no safety net. A wrong step and you are a goner.

Seriously... I still have nightmares about it. I get vertigo pretty easy

But to echo what everyone has said... it is absolutely breathtaking. Arizona is an amazing state... it seems like there is a national park on every interstate exit.

What stood out to me was how dangerous it is there.

You'll just be walking along... and 5 feet to the left of you is a 5000 foot sheer dropoff. No handrails, no safety net. A wrong step and you are a goner.

Seriously... I still have nightmares about it. I get vertigo pretty easy

But to echo what everyone has said... it is absolutely breathtaking. Arizona is an amazing state... it seems like there is a national park on every interstate exit.

The paths are good and well maintained ... I don't see how this makes it dangerous, unless you are afraid of heights. It's a six mile hike into a one-mile deep canyon ... so there are some spectacular drops.:cool:

Everyday walking down a sidewalk you're five feet away from a truck travelling at 60mph.

We were going to do that as a vacation this year, but went in another direction.

By doing a search on grand canyon tours, you will come up with tons of great info. I wanted to do the ATV tour, as did my daughter. The wife wasn't big on that :( Here's a few links for you to look at.......

Grand Canyon . com

The Canyon . com

The Grand Canyon . com

I think we're going to go camping there next year. I'm thinking one of the mule trips, just like the Brady Bunch :doh:

:laugh: :laugh:

:cheers:

Don't be a wuss...camp!! There are tons of sweet campgrounds in the area.

I would not be opposed to camping ... but I'm flying out there ... and staying in Vegas ... then driving out to the Canyon on Saturday morning.

I don't think that it would be very easy for me to bring my tent and all of my other camping goodies with me on the plane.

:silly:

So unless you can find me some place that RENTS out tents and gross sleeping bags that have probably been covered in spunk ... I'm calling a hotel. :D

Archived