Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Theoretically couldnt the skins trade next years 1st for a 1st round pick every year?

Zazzaro703

Before i post i will mention that i did try and search for a topic like this and didnt see one. If i have made a mistake, i apologize and will face the flogging.

Plus the whole title of this thread should be *Theoretically couldnt the skins trade next years 1st and some other picks for a 1st round pick every current year??? Didnt have enough space for the complete title.

Anyways, what im trying to say is just based on our situation now being without a 1st round pick, couldnt we trade next years 1st and maybe a 3rd or 4th every year for a first round pick in the area of our choosing. I mean i dont plan on the skins having a top 20 pick for many drafts to come due to our team being competitive and hopefully making the playoffs for a few years in a row. So when next year comes and we dont have a first, we just package 2008s 1st round and maybe a 3rd or 4th (or whatever pick it might take to get whatever top 20 talent we are trying to aquire and do this every year). It seems the Redskins only really want the draft to choose a top 20 talent, and then most of the time recently we dont have many picks left anyways.

Since Danny has been in control the team seems content on watching what players adjust and perfrom well in the NFL their first few years and then we normally give away picks to aquire them. So in a way we use our draft picks, just on players that have already proved they can hack it in the NFL. So i dont think it would bother the team if they had to trade a few picks along with next years first to move up and aquire whatever top 20 talent they want (If they want a top 20 talent every year). This way, not having a first round pick would never catch up to us unless one year the draft class is really weak and we dont consider it worth moving up. Im sure every year there is a NFL team with a top 20 pick that will trade down if the price is right, and we all know danny knows how to sweeten a deal to the point where the other party has to take it cause its that good.

I think the skins can build a really solid team by drafting a top 20 talent every year and adding young free agents in other places. And if we happen to have some picks left over, use them for depth and hopefully a diamond in the rough. Plus like i said before if we are going to the playoffs every year from here on out, we wont have a top 20 pick for a long time.... This way we can be a playoff team, and still get great top 20 talents. Kind of bending the rules.

Any pick in next year's draft is considered a round lower in terms of compensation. So a 1st in 07 would be the equivalent of a 2nd in 06. It would take a lot more than a 1st and 3rd next year for a first this year. This is not a good philosophy on acquiring picks. We need to just bite the bullet this year and hope the F.O. holds on to the picks next year. We already gave up a 4th (Lloyd) in next year's draft.

Technically that could work, but i think it depends on our needs each year. i think its good to have those mid-round picks, a lot of times the bargains are in the mid-rounds. but on the other hand, the way we are during FA, trading picks could work to fulfill a certain need. We'll have to see how JC does? LOL

Of course we could trade for a 1st rounder EVERY year if we really wanted to and never have one of our own to begin with. The problem is, though, that we give up an extra pick or two to do that and, as a result, risk passing up the next Tom Brady. It's only wise to trade up into the first if there is a player you have your eyes set on that you either desperately need or see as the only suitable prospect at that position for the next few years.

If we don't trade for a first this year, we'll still have our OWN first next year and the year after and the year after that without having to give up additional picks.

yeah i mean it was just a thought. I have no problem with not having a 1st round pick this year, although im still unsure if jason campbell was worth it or not. I guess time will tell, we are due for a drafted QB to do well.

*edit* Yeah i see what people are saying that it would take a few picks to do it, but the front office seems content with giving away our picks anyways. So every year we would have a 1st round pick, and use the other picks on getting young talent that has proven they can play in the NFL instead of rolling the dice on a rookie like we have been doing.

Theoretically the Redskins could, EXCEPT most teams dont want to trade away their #1 draft pick like Denver did last year. And it takes two to tango.

Plus its not a good bargain for us to be dealing away 3 high draft picks for one high draft pick. What happens if the player we then choose bombs out? Then we have the equivalent of three players who bombed (the three draft picks), instead of just one.

Its generally not a good idea, unless you going after a player who you think is a franchise player (which Joe Gibbs evidently feels that Jason Campbell is ).

Bobby Beathard frequently traded away the #1 pick the following year, for a 2nd round pick in the current year. He had some success in Washington doing this, but especially with San Diego, a lot of his 2nd round picks then bombed out. Which meant he had wasted his #1 picks. :doh:

George Allen traded away virtually all of the draft picks from 1 through 4 every year, but he always traded for veteran players who had proven they could play in the NFL. The only problem with his philosophy is that he was acquiring players generally 30 or over in age, and that catches up to you after awhile. You wind up with an old team real quick.

Its like saying I'll give you $3 for $1. Thats not a good deal, and you aren't going to do that for too long. :laugh:

Guest amaprius

we could trade our seconds for firsts the next year and then trade down when time comes and get a second and third or fourth if it is a low first round pick....that would be a great strategy....other teams do that alot and compile alot of picks....Like the Eagles....I hate their strategy because it always works.....they get lots of picks and can afford to release alot of them because they have a greater chance of finding a few gems....we keep alot of mediocre guys and hope they develop.

I would like to see the skins move up this year anways. Like someone else said, If we could get up high enough AJ Hawk would be the end to an unreal offseason (assuming ST is on the field), or Lendell White. His stock is falling like people have said because he showed up to USCs workouts a little out of shape and soft. Im sure our coaching staff would get him back giving 110% every play, and he would give Portis a breather and be able to bang around in those short yardage situations. I think he would be a great draft pick for us, hes the power/short yardage back we need to keep portis healthy. I mean i love #26 and his heart because he has proven time and time again he will run it up the middle fearless in that 3&1 with 10 in the box, but lets face it running portis up the middle is wasting him and is going to get him hurt.

Lendell White. His stock is falling like people have said because he showed up to USCs workouts a little out of shape and soft. Im sure our coaching staff would get him back giving 110% every play, and he would give Portis a breather and be able to bang around in those short yardage situations. I think he would be a great draft pick for us, hes the power/short yardage back we need to keep portis healthy.

We are one of the most stacked teams at RB in the league... we REALLY do not need LenDale White. We have Portis, Betts, Rock, and Nemo who are, for the most part, all well better than the average player at their position on the depth chart. There is also no way we will trade into the top 6 to get AJ Hawk.

I like Nemo.... but on that 3&2 betts and rock kind of make me nervous. White i think is a huge upgrade over betts and rock. I think betts is gone next year anyways, I like rock and he has the heart but just isnt big enough, and White and Portis would be a great tandum for years to come in the grind it out old school NFC East. I would like to see Nemo become the player im talking about in White if we cant draft him. I liked what i saw from him last preseason.

*edit* Plus another part of me wants all of the players from the *dark* age to be gone so we dont have any reminders. Although the O-line can stay.

a short yardage back to keep cp healthy? do the names rock, ladell, or cooley sound familiar?

Like i said above Ladells contract is up at the end of this season i believe and i think he is gonna leave to go somewhere where he can compete for a starting job. I like rock, but he is just too small to be pounding it in short yardage. I mean rock has one of the biggest hearts ive seen on the field, but physics says if a large man hits him low enough, rock is going backwards. White would give us that threat and would make our screens to sellers and cooley way more effective cause they would HAVE to respect White back there.

I like Nemo.... but on that 3&2 betts and rock kind of make me nervous. White i think is a huge upgrade over betts and rock. I think betts is gone next year anyways, I like rock and he has the heart but just isnt big enough, and White and Portis would be a great tandum for years to come in the grind it out old school NFC East. I would like to see Nemo become the player im talking about in White if we cant draft him. I liked what i saw from him last preseason.

White is probably going to be a very good player, but like the other guy said, we are stacked at RB. Nemo is a load when he ever gets his chance -- thats what Byner said.

And then there is the 240 lb., Kerry Carter who is a decent back, who probably wont even make the team. In addition to Jesse Lumsden who is 230 and even the 230 Jonathan Combs showed he could run the ball last year, when he wasn't fumbling it.

No, drafting LenDale White would be overkill.

true but what about this nemo kid..... whats he about?

Yeah sorry i posted about him in my above post too. I really like Nemo and if we dont get White i hope Nemo can develop into the player i think White could be. I really liked what Nemo showed in preseason as i think all skins fans did. I hope he gets his chance this preseason if we dont bring anyone else in.

White is probably going to be a very good player, but like the other guy said, we are stacked at RB. Nemo is a load when he ever gets his chance -- thats what Byner said.

And then there is the 240 lb., Kerry Carter who is a decent back, who probably wont even make the team. In addition to Jesse Lumsden who is 230 and even the 230 Jonathan Combs showed he could run the ball last year, when he wasn't fumbling it.

No, drafting LenDale White would be overkill.

solid points inmate.... i did forget about the rest of the depth. I really hope Nemo emerges because he did look really really good last year. i was surprised when he was on the practice squad. I thought he was as good as betts and rock.

*edit* I do think White would be a huge upgrade and would eventually be the #2 on the roster and could carry the load for a few games should portis go down. If he falls far enough in the draft, i think the skins would have to consider it (When i say far enough, i mean late 1st round pick #23 and down).

sorry i must have issed the post........ forgot to refresh ... slow reader. yeah we seem to have decent depth at running so i dont know what they will do but i know joe usually goes for talent that has a little experience. i just dont keep up with college football to really know what is out there in the draft.

sorry i must have issed the post........ forgot to refresh ... slow reader. yeah we seem to have decent depth at running so i dont know what they will do but i know joe usually goes for talent that has a little experience. i just dont keep up with college football to really know what is out there in the draft.

Yeah he does goes for the xp. Thats what i was saying in my main post. Since Gibbs has arrived we are trading our picks for young talent already in the NFL, and drafting a top 10 talent (ST, Carlos). So i was just saying to keep this tradition going by trading future draft picks for a current top 20 talent in the current draft, and the other draft picks like we have been for young talent that has already proven they can excel in the NFL rather than rolling the dice on draft picks in the 4-7 round.

Its like saying I'll give you $3 for $1. Thats not a good deal, and you aren't going to do that for too long. :laugh:

Yeah, but that $1 has already proved it can fit into a vending machine and will give you the candy. However that candy wont last for very long. Whereas that $3 might take a little while longer to be able to fit into that vending machine but when it does give you the candy its gonna be chewable, and its gonna last for a long while, whilst maybe not tasting that good. You get me?

Technically yes you could continue to trade future picks to get picks now. However in this draft, it will help us drafting in rd2, for the salary cap hit. With so many free agent signings the money isn't there for a 1st rounder. Unless Danny boy can print some more.

Archived