Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

USA Today - Small Receivers (Moss story)

KAOSkins

I searched for smith, santana and usa today and found nothing. I looked at the posts from now till before the artice went online and I couldn't find it. If I am reposting it's only in the effort to share something good with my fellow fans. :)

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2006-04-06-small-wr-feature_x.htm

"Moss grew up in Liberty City, Fla., in the 1980s heyday of Hall of Fame Dolphins quarterback Dan Marino and "The Marks Brothers," Marino's deep-threat receivers Mark Duper and Mark Clayton.

Until the age of 12, Moss spent Sunday mornings at his grandmother's house, right across from the Holiday Inn where the Dolphins stayed as a team the night before games."

click link for rest of article

Great story about Moss and Smith.

He used to race cars on foot. That's pretty cool!

Edit: I didn't see it on Breaking News either

Great article, thanks for the link. Its really nice to see Moss saying he is happy to have Lloyd and Randle El on the team. I can't wait to see what he does when he isn't double teamed damn near every pass play.

:helmet:

During '04 I told my friends at work that Coles has GOT TO GO. And as always, they all thought I was crazy. But when the season was over, and the Jets traded us Moss for Coles (or how ever it went), I thought the Jets were outta their minds. Anyway (since Santana mentioned them in the article), I thought the '84 pairing of the Marks Brothers (along with Marino) was the best air attack I have ever seen in one season. Even better than the Greatest Show on Turf or any single season of the Chargers.

"The key word in our style of offense is separation," Saunders says. "We look for guys who can create separation and beat man coverage. The type of receivers who have succeeded most in our style of offense have been the Isaac Bruces, Torry Holts and Marvin Harrisons, extremely fast route runners.

"With Randle El, Brandon Lloyd and Santana, we have three receivers who all have vertical ability. They fit our style because it's a rhythm, stretch the field vertically and laterally on offense."

I believe I had noted this in another thread. These guys can get in and out of breaks and create separation. It's not all about 40 times; ask James Jett or Randall Williams. It's about being open.

It was really good to read an article that wasnt tainted one way or the other, smith and santana are both champions in their own rite, but at the end of this next season it is santana who will wear the grin and the ring

Hail to all things redskins:especially super bowl rings

One thing i really liked about the article was how Moss and Smith gave credit to all the other small guys who are playing as well, not just themselves. Small receivers seem to be the new thing.

I love that, Gibbs' funbunch style is now being emulated by a number of other franchises. Speaks to his wisdom - in spades.

Once a year Smith makes a pilgrimage to the Taco Bell at Pico Boulevard and Bundy Drive, where he worked nights from his junior year in high school through his graduation from Santa Monica Junior College.

I've pulled through that Taco Bell before. :laugh:

The rebirth of the small wide out happened in large part because the league stressed the illegal contact rule. Large DB's (the reason teams wanted larger WRs) don't have such a great advantage now that you can't really touch the wide outs. Running routes is now far more productive then being large enough to battle with the DBs for the ball.

The rebirth of the small wide out happened in large part because the league stressed the illegal contact rule. Large DB's (the reason teams wanted larger WRs) don't have such a great advantage now that you can't really touch the wide outs. Running routes is now far more productive then being large enough to battle with the DBs for the ball.

Good point, but how does that explain it's effectiveness during Gibbs 1?

Archived