Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Chris Clemons - Gw's Next Great Linebacker???

qcraftsman

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

So we saw what Greg Williams did with Antonio Pierce and then Lamar Marshall. He turned them into starting role great linebackers.

I think it is Clemons turn. Will GW Make Clemons a new contender in the NFL at Linebacker this year??? I think so...

Clemons has physical talent, the problem is he is not a natural linebacker. That is what the staff has been grooming him for the past 2 years, to start playing with some ease and confidence as more than a rush end.

'based on what'?

well, we don't know if Clemons will turn out to be more than a backup, but did you call Antonio Pierce coming out in 2004 or Lemar Marshall in 2005? :)

I bet most people had these pegged as special teamers who were overreaching as regulars.

You base this off of......

Very little, admittedly. None of us have really seen a whole lot of him thus far. We know he is a VERY impressive pass-rusher... but if he had the kind of balance necessary, you would think he would have beaten out folding-chair Holdman for the job before Lavar came back full time.

Again, I see him as becoming a solid starter... but nothing fantastic. It'll take a few games to convince me otherwise - one way or the other.

Clemons has physical talent, the problem is he is not a natural linebacker. That is what the staff has been grooming him for the past 2 years, to start playing with some ease and confidence as more than a rush end.

'based on what'?

well, we don't know if Clemons will turn out to be more than a backup, but did you call Antonio Pierce coming out in 2004 or Lemar Marshall in 2005? :)

I bet most people had these pegged as special teamers who were overreaching as regulars.

Yes, as a mater of fact I called the Marshall one. Last offseason, on thehogs.net, I started a thread saying " Move Lemar to middle" before anyone had speculated about it. Then, when he was moved, I predicted a solid year for him.

I think he's gonna do it. I see him needing to work on his coverage skills, but other than that he is great at rushing. He has a motor that doesn't stop it seems like.

This is why I say he can..."motor". Meaning effort, which is all a linebacker needs in the system is effort and some sort of athletic ability. Also a good head, which I am not sure about.

I think the biggest diffrence is that Coach Williams has turned "No Bodies" into superstars in the middle...ok superstar is too much but you get what I am saying. turning a "could be" into a "force" on the weakside will be tougher to pull off, it will help that there has been other upgrades on defense so because others will have to be "game planned" Clemons could jump in to his "payday" this coming year. :logo: :helmet:

my point was that both Pierce and Marshall were street free agents that toiled on special teams for several years before they got the chance to play in a regular defense.

the NFL watchers certainly didn't peg either player to be a difference maker here in Washington.

in fact of the players the Skins have right now on defense there have been criticisms of almost all of them in one regard or another:

1. Daniels and Wynn are over 30 and can't play anymore.

2. Salavea is a backup quality player.

3. Carlos Rogers was not as talented as Antrell Rolle and the Redskins made a mistake taking him rather than a player at another position.

4. Lemar Marshall is too small at 228 to play linebacker in the NFL.

5. Ryan Clark was too small to play safety and was strictly a backup and ST player.

6. Shawn Springs is too old at 31 to be counted on as a top corner anymore.

7. Sean Taylor is talented but will never be coachable.

There you have it. Criticisms I remember about all of these players.

And yet when the dust settles year after year the Redskins defense is in the top 10.

So, what about that 'top' defense the Vikings were putting together in 2004-2005 with Smoot, Winfield, Udeze, etc..?

It sucked on the field. That's what.

He seems better suited to be a OLB in a 3-4 rather than taking the responsibilities of a OLB in a 4-3. The guy has tons of potential and its really hard to tell with him but I went with no. Hopefully I will eat my words after next season.

He seems better suited to be a OLB in a 3-4 rather than taking the responsibilities of a OLB in a 4-3. The guy has tons of potential and its really hard to tell with him but I went with no. Hopefully I will eat my words after next season.

that is what i have been saying too. his specialty is pass rushing, and that is all OLBs do in a 3-4

does this mean you cheated on us with another board? you whore......oh god, i feel so dirty now :laugh:

haha this is before i discovered extremeskins, the nice thing about this board is its always active, and always something to talk about. The nice thing about that board is a lot less trolls. but this ones better

Archived