Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CP not a power back?

cmorina69

I have been reading some threds and some of you think CP is not a power back. I think he is, runs up the gut,drops his shoulders for that extra yard, tell's gibbs he wants to run up the gut MORE, and i herd on one of the redskins tv things that CP told gibbs that if they want to win the need to run up the gut and play smash mouth football. Sounds like a power back talking.

thoughts?

cp is used as a power back...but he really isnt a power back, not a finesse back either. Really he is just a solid back.

He isn't physically built to be a power back but he certainly plays like it at times. Obviously he is best suited to following his blockers up to the point where he can break away from all the traffic and can utilize his tremendous speed... but if he can't do that, he won't hesitate to try and run a guy over.

I remember having heard Brian Urlacher say that he has never been hit harder by anyone than Portis back in his Denver days (in said helmet-to-helmet collision, he was briefly knocked out while CP got right up if memory serves correctly). So clearly he's always been like that, but he has been forced to do it a bit more outside of Denver's blocking scheme.

Fortunately, the way Saunders uses his RBs will probably result in us getting a lot more mileage out of CP and will allow him to use his blocking better for more big runs.

He isn't a power back. He weighs a meager 215 lbs. While he runs very strong for his size, I would rather see 250 lbs of Bettis running head first into a pile than CP.

Also as for CP getting the extra yard on runs...it is because of his ellusiveness. Often times he gets low and dives for the extra yard underneath the tacklers.

All this being said CP is an absolute beast and I am glad he is a skin!

CP is definately a power back, he makes most of his yards between the tackles

go watch film from last year's games, this kid is 220 something, but runs like he's 240

you don't see a non-power back stoning LBs cold to the ground on pass protection

to think you gotta be 240 something to be a power back is a myth

i don't think he's a "traditional" power RB. everyone has said the obvious, that he isn't big enough. but we've all seen him truck people game after game. but i still wouldn't categorize him as a power back only because he's a lot more than that. he has the power, speed, agility, and hands to just be a threat in every aspect.

another 1,000 yard season? of course.

yes he's a beast

yes he can run between the tackles, but no, he's not a power back. he can dish it out with the best of them, but it takes a major toll on his body.

I say you give him the chance to run it up the gut multiple times in a game, but don't make him do it series after series or we are going to be looking for a new featured back way too soon....

He did a nice imitation of a power back against the Cardinals late in the game when the Skins needed a 1st down to seal the win...he pushed the pile like 6 extra yards to get the first down. At first I thought it was simply the o-line pushing the pile from behind, but it was mostly Portis and his legs doing the work...

He's not a traditional power back, but he can make like a damn good one when needed.

He can definitely push the pile. One of my favorite plays from last year...I forget which team we were playing, but it was during our streak of losing games in the 4th quarter.

Anyways, as usual, we're trying to run the clock out with Portis. Anyways, there's like 2 minutes left, and if the team stops us they'll get a chance to get the ball back. We hand it to Portis. He runs up the middle, but gets hit by a LB like 2 yds before the 1st down marker. The LB can't bring him down, but he holds on, trying to pull Portis down. 2 or 3 of his teammates come over and try to bring Portis down, but that mofo CARRIES THE ENTIRE DEFENSE for like 3 or 4 yards to get the 1st and seal the game.

That was a great moment right there.

Portis is not a true power back. I think the best way to categorize him is as a combo back. He's got the characteristics of both a scatback (speed, elusiveness) and power back (gains yards through the tackles), but to call him a power back would be incorrect.

Power backs inflict more damage on the defense and consistently moves the piles and exhausts the defense late in the game. Portis, while he has good blocking technique and lays defenders out while in pass protection...tends to inflict more damage on himself than on the defense when he repeatedly runs up the gut.

Portis can run tougher and harder, with more ability than almost any guy in the past decade. size has absolutely nothing to do with being a power back. he delivers as many crushing hits as he receives, and still drags the guys for that extra inch, even if he's already got the first down and more. he is most certainly a power back, he can hang with the greats.

Archived