Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Living in Manassas

forbeskin

For all you that live in Manassas, I'm thinking in the next couple of years of getting out of the Navy and searching for work in the Manassas area. What are the pro/cons living there? Is there a better place to be in that general area? Any advice you could give would be great.

Thanks.

Manassas is one huge strip mall. I lived there for about a year with my dad.

The pros:

You're near DC. Lots of shopping (Sort of..). Lots of great food (especially Mexican, which was a plus for me because it was my favorite.)

The cons:

It's dirty. Too many people. Too much traffic. (This can be said for any NOVA town though)

If you're going to work in Manassas, you can find a nice place to live farther west and commute. A lot of the high-dollar development is already out in Gainesville. Try Nokesville, maybe? Fauquier County? I'd commute from Warrenton rather than live in Manassas.

Yeah, Manassas went from rural to ghetto pretty quickly and the traffic is awful.

I've never lived there but I have visited and it seems dirty, a little ghetto and a little rundown. You can probably find a more desireable area that's comparably priced in the metro area.

I think its like alot of area's around here now. It has its run down sections ( any areas selling under 400,000 :laugh: and its nicer sections homes over 400,000. :doh:

Moving to this area and not going out toward warrenton or south to fredericksburg requires a nice size income to live in a nice area. Heck it requires a decent income to live in the bad areas, or lots of roomates.

I lived in Manassas for 5 years. Because of my last job there (pest control) I saw alot of the areas in and around Manassas. Parts of it are extremely nice (Lake Jackson, Occoquan Forest areas), parts of it are at the other end of the spectrum (Georgetown South, Irongate) and alot in between. There are also some beautiful homes along Grant Ave and Stonewall, north of the train tracks. It just depends on what neighborhood you are in.

If you want to be more out from people, Nokesville and Bristow are ok and close enough you can drive into Manassas for groceries, etc. Gainesville is nice but traffic is (or was last year) getting just as bad as Manassas, and the houses are very expensive, cookie-cutter, and right on top of each other. You can also head out past the battlefield, towards Cartharpin and that area. Warrenton is ok, but imo not much different than Manassas, little cheaper though.

I encourage you to come down to the New River Valley/ Roanoke Valley area. It may not be for some if you want all the action, but if you want to avoid crowds and traffic and rude ass people, this is a good growing area to live in. Cost of living is a LOT lower too....$400,000 would get you a small mansion!

I encourage you to come down to the New River Valley/ Roanoke Valley area. It may not be for some if you want all the action, but if you want to avoid crowds and traffic and rude ass people, this is a good growing area to live in. Cost of living is a LOT lower too....$400,000 would get you a small mansion!

Keep inviting Yankees down your way. It'll be full of rude assed people before you know it. Manasses was like that 15 years ago

Manassas = Rednecks/Confederate Flags/A lot of other trash.

You want a cultural experience? Go to the Manassas Wal Mart. It's a friggin zoo. It's amazing how much of a difference there is in 5 measly miles east.

Trust me, I lived there for 5 years.

Did anyone else mention that stretch of 66/29 betweenn Centreville and Manassas.... Worst Traffic Nightmare!

Adam B is right, there are some very nice neighborhoods like Lake Jackson. But, you still have to shop and get gas in the hell hole.

Money isn't everything. Start saving big and move to Fairfax or Loudon County.

I've lived here in Manassas my whole life so I'm very familiar with this area. I dont think it's as bad as everyone is saying it is. Here's my take:

Pros:

Lots of restaurants, nice and friendly people. Plenty of shopping around so you can get anything you need. If you're religious, there are tons of churches.

Cons:

Traffic is very bad. And if you're not a fan of diversity, this may not be the place for you.

Overall, I like it here a lot. Sure it's not as nice as newer areas like Gainesville and Bristow, but by no means is this place ghetto or rundown at all. There are a lot of nice areas here and yes there are a few rough areas but don't most places have that? And if I'm not mistaken, housing is a bit cheaper here than other areas in Northern VA.

Archived