Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

gregg williams vs. al saunders as head coach

AllAboutSkins08

i hope this hasn't already been discussed, but i was wondering what you guys thought about the head coaching position once gibbs is done. i don't even wanna think about the redskins without gibbs right now, but everyone seems to be talking about the same things (lavar, hating dallas, ST's trial, or how everyone hates us/bashes us) so i thought i'd bring something new to the table.

gregg williams vs. al saunders as head coach of the redskins

i mean saunders could have gotten a head coaching job easily, but he came to washington. but i'm sure he really wants a head coaching job as well. and so does GW. do you think there might be some heat with this topic once gibbs leaves? which coach would you prefer?

my first thread, hope it's a good one :)

Well personally i want to see what Saunders does as OC here before i root for him as head coach. Id feel confident with GW however, based on experience but perhaps if you asked me this in a years time id have a better opinion of Al Saunders.

I think it's been implied that Gregg Williams will get it. Gibbs said something along the lines of, "We're going to get the best offensive coordinator for you that we can" to Williams. Plus, it's written in his contract in that round-about way where if he doesn't get to be coach when Gibbs leaves, he gets a million bucks or something. GW is the heir to the throne.

Clint

Gregg Williams will be head coach, i mean he's been there longer, he has turned down SO many other offers as a head coach, just so he can stay here. I personally believe that Gregg Williams has been told by Snyder and co. that he already has the job when Gibbs is gone, but you know what, i bet he doesnt take it, and Saunders might end up being the Head Coach. Williams has been a head coach and i personally dont think he likes the pressure.....the Coordinator's name aint in the newspaper when a team loses, the head coach is

i mean saunders could have gotten a head coaching job easily, but he came to washington.

If Saunders could've got a head coaching job easily..... he'd be one right now. The fact that he has accomplished as much as he has (most recently with the Rams and Chiefs)... and the only opportunity he had was with the desperate Raiders.. is all the evidence anyone needs. He has resigned himself to being a coordinator. Nothing wrong with that.

gw's been here longer plus theres a clause in his contract saying that he'll be coach once gibbs leaves so whether we prefer it or not....gws gonna be our coach once gibbs is out

No, there isn't a clause in his contract that guarantees he is the next coach. Why bother reading articles if you aren't going to READ the articles.

The clause in his contract states that he gets $1M bonus if he isn't named the next head coach of the Washington Redskins.

Snyder isn't going to keep someone he doesn't want to save $1M. That's hardly any guarantee. He's thrown tens of millions of dollars away for less.

The clause in his contract states that he gets $1M bonus if he isn't named the next head coach of the Washington Redskins.

Snyder isn't going to keep someone he doesn't want to save $1M. That's hardly any guarantee. He's thrown tens of millions of dollars away for less.

Given that, it would be a rat **** thing to do if Snyder reneges and makes Saunders or someone else the head coach.

I just hope the second GW campaign goes better than his Bills tenure.

well, the Head Coach job was kind of promised to Greg Williams for after Gibbs retires.... But with the hiring of Al Saunders and the title they gave him it sounds like they want to have him...but i hope they work it out b/c i would love to have them both around for a long time

i hope this hasn't already been discussed, but i was wondering what you guys thought about the head coaching position once gibbs is done. i don't even wanna think about the redskins without gibbs right now, but everyone seems to be talking about the same things (lavar, hating dallas, ST's trial, or how everyone hates us/bashes us) so i thought i'd bring something new to the table.

gregg williams vs. al saunders as head coach of the redskins

i mean saunders could have gotten a head coaching job easily, but he came to washington. but i'm sure he really wants a head coaching job as well. and so does GW. do you think there might be some heat with this topic once gibbs leaves? which coach would you prefer?

my first thread, hope it's a good one :)

ALSO just to put you in your place i posted a thread exactly the same as this the same day as Al Saunders Hiring :cheers:

If you think about it, this is eerily similar to the last time Gibbs retired and turns the reins over to Richie Pettibone. The last time, we had a great defensive coordinator and no help on the offensive side of the ball. This time, Gibbs is making sure that it doesn't happen. He hired the best and brightest offensive mind in the game.

Given the clause in GW's contract that was widely known and reported on prior to bringing Saunders on board ... I figure it is easier to keep both of them by appointing GW the next HC as long as Saunders still wants to coach. If you promote Saunders over GW, he will more than likely leave. He has stated that he wants to be a HC again, but right now it is more important for him to be around great people, be in a great area for his family and be with a great organization = Redskins. I think working under Gibbs is also a big incentive.

Guest santana4prez
Williams is definately the next HC of the washington Redskins there isnt even a question about it. I speak to several players on a regular basis and this is a know fact around the locker room and redskins park.

Yep , I know one of the reasons Gregg Williams stayed was b/c they told him he would be the head coach when Gibbs leaves. Gregg Wiliiams is the perfect man for the job.

Gibbs is doing the same thing in coaching that he does on the feild....depth! We have Gibbs as a head coach with two able back ups, GW already has experience and is our #2, Saunders can take over and is our #3.

If you have noticed Gibbs hasn't handed anyone a position, anything a player or coach is given with the skins is earned. If Greg Williams is going to be the next head coach he is going to have to beat out Al Saunders to do it.

It's a good strategy keeps everyone on their toes. Danny will pay out a million to GW if that's what it takes to get the right coach in that position.

That being said I think GDub is Gibbs successor and I only hope Saunders stays on as well.

Willaims has been here, fits well, and has been told he is next in line. I dont even understand how you can put him up against someone who has yet to coach a single day of practice as a Redskins coach. You want continuity and talent when you replace a head coach, Williams has both, Saunders has one.

I personally believe that Gregg Williams has been told by Snyder and co. that he already has the job when Gibbs is gone, but you know what, i bet he doesnt take it, and Saunders might end up being the Head Coach. Williams has been a head coach and i personally dont think he likes the pressure.....the Coordinator's name aint in the newspaper when a team loses, the head coach is

GW has said he would like to return the Head Coach position. The pressure is higher but I believe he feels he has some things to prove still in this league. Great NFL leaders are the Head Coaches, not the Coordinators. The Head Coaching job is the way to reach greatness. GW will be the Head Coach of the Redskins.

Hail

Archived