Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tom Delay Resigns

Prosperity

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory?id=1804079

WASHINGTON Apr 4, 2006 (AP)— Succumbing to scandal, former Majority Leader Tom DeLay said Tuesday he is resigning from Congress in the face of a tough re-election race, closing out a career that blended unflinching conservatism with a bare-knuckled political style.

"The voters of the 22nd District of Texas deserve a campaign about the vital national issues that they care most about and that affect their lives every day, and not a campaign focused solely as a referendum on me," DeLay said in a statement.

rest at link

What will be the fallout from this? I dont follow politics much.

I don't think there will be much anymore, there was plenty when charges were brought up, but he lost his position so probably doesn't mean a whole lot but a vacant seat

Tough loss for the Dems. He was losing his lead (though I still think he would have won) and he was such a polarizing guy. It would have driven up the turnout all over Texas.

Now this will be an easy seat for the GOP to keep and probably make the rest of the state stay in form.

Tough loss for the Dems. He was losing his lead (though I still think he would have won) and he was such a polarizing guy. It would have driven up the turnout all over Texas.

Now this will be an easy seat for the GOP to keep and probably make the rest of the state stay in form.

If DeLay was going to drive up turnout all over Texas, that effect should linger in his absence, but this definitely makes it much easier for the Republicans to keep at least his seat, which I assume must have been drawn to be a pretty safe Republican district.

Maybe 1 seat, but as a whole the GOP's reputation especially for character matters has been almost completely eroded. I think back in the Clinton days they claimed to be the party of integrity or character or some bs like that. Can they claim that anymore with a straight face? Nope.

Will that matter? Yes, but I am not sure how much.

Though I will admit this would have been better the longer he stayed.

Guest Gichin13

I think Delay leaving is a huge blow to the dems. What a great target of opportunity they just lost for November. To Delay's credit to see that and bail.

I agree that his departure is a great day regardless though. He was poison.

It will certainly still have some affect, but not enough to swing a seat. All of the seats in TYexas were drawn up to almost a 60-40 split, so you can pretty well bet the current party will keep their seat.

Yeah, I think with or without DeLay, almost all those seats were untouchable. It would have been a nice coup de grace for the Texas Democratic Party to defeat DeLay in November though, and this resignation will probably divert some of the national PAC money away from Texas.

I have to STOP agreeing with you, what the hell is going on in this crazy world :silly:

you guys will eat crow when he wins in court, not only win but give his detractors a spanking.. you will see.

If Tom delay is guilty then so is every single person in congress, see this is why they wanted him out, to many nose sniffings will expose others of the same charge..

you guys will eat crow when he wins in court, not only win but give his detractors a spanking.. you will see.

If Tom delay is guilty then so is every single person in congress, see this is why they wanted him out, to many nose sniffings will expose others of the same charge..

It will probably never make it to trial ,Earl has played his game long enough to hurt Delay.

Glad to see both of them retiring :2cents:

"These charges have no basis in the facts or the law. This is just another example of Ronnie Earle misusing his office for partisan vendettas. Despite the clearly political agenda of this prosecutor, Congressman DeLay has cooperated with officials throughout the entire process. Even in the last two weeks, Ronnie Earle himself had acknowledged publicly that Mr. DeLay was not a target of his investigation. However, as with many of Ronnie Earle's previous partisan investigations, Ronnie Earle refused to let the facts or the law get in the way of his partisan desire to indict a political foe."

Cut and paste

Archived