Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Top 10 NFC-East Cornerbacks (as I see it)

cowboyuptx

It's crazy to see that people actually think sheldon brown is the best corner in the NFC East. Shawn Springs is without a doubt the best corner over the past two seasons. As a corner stats don't mean much because the best corners don't get the ball thrown their way often.

This is my top 10 for NCFE Cornerbacks.

Agree / disagree?

1.Sheldon Brown (PHI)

2.Terrance Newman (DAL)

3.Anthony Henry (DAL)

4.Shawn Springs (WAS)

5.Roderick Hood (PHI)

6.R.W. McQuarters (NYG)

7.Aaron Glenn (DAL)

8.Carlos Rogers (WAS)

9.Will Demps (NYG)

10.Curtis Deloatch (NYG)

I realized (after the fact) that I have forgotten about Sam Madison and Lito Sheppard. They belong somewhere on the list.....

but I'll stick by my top 4.

How the heck are you guys able to judge these CBs? I personally, am never able to really watch cornerbacks on tv, unless they get a ball thrown to them. Even then, it's usually just for the 2-3 seconds where the ball is in the air and the play is made. To really judge a corner, I'd think you'd have to watch how they do, play after play, and unless you go to the games, or have tape that focuses on the player, I don't know how you can really assess them.

And for the ones pulling out the stats. I'd say, maybe interceptions and sacks can tell you a little bit about a CB, but they usually don't measure how good a CB is. Also, I would think that maybe a "thrown to" stat would better assess a CB, because the best corners don't let the QB even think about throwing the ball their way.

EVERY CB gets toasted from time to time. Every CB is going to have off games, or a day when his opponent gets the better of him. It's the nature of the position.

Very few elite corners get beat like that. Henry is not elite, he wasn't in Cleveland and he's not in Dallas. Springs faced better recievers, and still didn't allow a reciever to recieve more than a 100 yards on him.

Ugh. You're not getting it. Higher stats are not indivative of being a better player. If I have the confidence as an NFL quarterback to throw to you, then regardless of how "good" people might say that you are on an opposing team's message board (:rolleyes:) you're worth the risk. Your stats do NOT take into account the number of passes thrown to either player. If you have 20 INTs out of the 200 that have been thrown to you, then great. But if it's 20 out of 160? Then you're amazing. Your argument is flawed.

but often the best CBs on a team are playing against #1 WRs who are primary targets of the QB. also Henry (same with springs) are great in run support. so they accumulate some of those tackles against run plays.

If I had to take springs or henry. I take henry because both are so close and henry is younger.

Okay, you may be a bit of a Dallas homer, but you're not a troll.

You can make an argument for Terrance, but you can't tell me you'd honestly rather have Anthony Henry than Shawn Springs?

Carlos Rogers is still largely unproven, this next year will be telling.

I just called you out for a troll because there's no Sam Madison on there. It didn't look like you did much homework (and maybe you didn't)?

It doesn't matter if he's a #2 or #3 CB, at this point in time.... he's still better than Rogers. Are all you dudes real young or something? Dont you know who Aaron Glenn is? There was a time not all that long ago where he was thought to be a top 10 CB, in the entire NFL. In his prime many people likened him to a guy you may have heard of... Darrell Green.

You do realize players get older and they decline? Why does it matter that Glenn used to be an elite corner.

His weakness is covering anybody with any speed. Your list is laughable. Take off the homer glasses for a moment and realize that stats don't mean jack-bone when it comes to CBs. You don't want your CBs making tackles because generally that means their guy has just caught the ball.

or.....they could be making tackles in run support!! like springs and henry do, due to their size and physicality?

I take either one of the above two, but if I had to make one choice, it would be henry because he is younger.

Any list that has Anthony Henry even in the same ballpark as Shawn Springs is dismissed.

nothing like a redskins fan on a redskins board over rating their players, but then again, the 8th CB on the skins who got cut in camp is better than half the starters in this league. that's a given that most of the fans on this message board will argue to death.

Riddle me this, Batman. If your secondary has 3 of the top 7 in the division why were the Skins better against the pass? I find this more remarkable considering I am certain that you feel that the Cowboys have a better set of LBs and a better D-line. Why did Dallas give up more TD passes than it had Interceptions? Since Dallas had two more sacks than the Skins it certainly couldn't have been because of pressure.

nothing like a redskins fan on a redskins board over rating their players, but then again, the 8th CB on the skins who got cut in camp is better than half the starters in this league. that's a given that most of the fans on this message board will argue to death.

Redskin fans weren't the ones rating two of their CBs amongs the best three in the division. So far this offseason, Dallas fans have come over here and told us that they have a better pass rush, better safeties and now, vastly superior corners ... and yet our pass defense was better when the teams actually, you know, played.

So how is it REDSKIN fans on this redskin board over-rating their players, exactly?

Come on!!!!! ITS ONE TENTH OF A YARD!!!!!!

As has already been stated if you have clearly the top secondary in the division you should be clearly the best not having to cough up excuses that the Skins only had an advantage of 1/10th of a yard. With our #1 CB only marginally better than your #2 and our #2 worse than your 3rd it makes little to no sense that the Skins are even remotely close in the rankings much less ahead.

Who the hell has said anything close to that in this thread except for the original poster?

Look at their stats dude.

Over the past 2 seasons.

Springs (30 games)

99 Tackles

6 Int's

15 Pass Deflect

Henry (27 games)

106 Tackles

7 Int's

19 Pass Deflect

Aaron Glenn is a proven player! His stats over the last 2 years....

84 Tackles (only 29 in '05, cuz he's our nickel back)

9 Int's

18 Pass Deflects.

Carlos Rogers only had

42 Tackles

2 Int's

2 Pass Deflects (Newman had 17 his rookie year)

Rogers was injured a lot of the season.

ok..heres my top 10

1.Shawn Springs

2.Lito Sheppard(Dont you remember sheldon getting beat for a game winning TD by Plaxico and how Philly's pass D struggled when he went out?)

3.Sam Madison

4.Terrence Newman(this guy is really over rated. For one, he has ZERO run support and I remember a certain #47 bulldosing his way through him for 6...)

5.Sheldon Brown

6.Carlos Rogers(This guy is gonna go straight to the top pretty soon)

7.Aaron Glenn

8.Anthony Henry(Who else? Kenny Wright? I dont think so!)

9.Whoever the giants have as their number 2.

10.Roderick Hood.

This has taken a turn for the ridiculous.

First off, there is no shutdown corner in the league right now. There are some very good corners, but hardly any shutdown corners that force a team to throw in another direction. There are some corners that have some obviously weaker guys on the other side of them, but no corners that teams intentionally avoid.

Second, just in one game (the Skins/Cowboys MNF Game) I saw Anthony Henry get beat deep 4-5 times against the Redskins. Only because Brunell has pretty bad deep ball accuracy was Henry's hide saved. Maybe he played at a 1999 Deion-level for the other 15 games, but I doubt it. Off the top of my head I can remember a picture of Brandon Lloyd beating him for a TD.

Henry is a solid, physical corner. But to say he's a shutdown corner is ridiculous.

With the new CB rules its hard to strictly go man to man now. I can remember the Skins in Champ and Smoots early tenures here, they manned up all the time. Now you can't. A lot of teams now run cover 2 schemes.

No, no, no sir. Didn't you get the memo? Dallas' 3rd best corner Anthony Henry is better than our first in Springs.

P.S.- You guys must have gotten a late start on the April Fools thing but your comic relief is welcomed; although your hypocrisy is not.

This might be the worst list I have ever seen on this website. I understand that you are a girlz fan, but your rankings display a COMPLETE lack of knowledge of the postion and the division. I mean that was really bad. Here's some help.

1. L. Sheppard

2. S. Springs

3. S. Brown

4. T. Newman

5. S. Madison

6. A. Henry

7. C. Rogers

8. A. Glenn

9. R. Hood

10. C. Webster

4.Terrence Newman(this guy is really over rated. For one, he has ZERO run support and I remember a certain #47 bulldosing his way through him for 6...)

He's the guy Parcells gave the stare down after that TD. I remember that! First own3d by Cooley then Parcells. :laugh::laugh:

Look at their stats dude.

Over the past 2 seasons.

Springs (30 games)

99 Tackles

6 Int's

15 Pass Deflect

Henry (27 games)

106 Tackles

7 Int's

19 Pass Deflect

Aaron Glenn is a proven player! His stats over the last 2 years....

84 Tackles (only 29 in '05, cuz he's our nickel back)

9 Int's

18 Pass Deflects.

Carlos Rogers only had

42 Tackles

2 Int's

2 Pass Deflects (Newman had 17 his rookie year)

Good post, thanks for the stats, but dont go down on Carlos Rogers....but as much as i love shawn springs i still think he at his current state is over rated

This is my top 10 for NCFE Cornerbacks.

Agree / disagree?

1.Sheldon Brown (PHI)

2.Terrance Newman (DAL)

3.Anthony Henry (DAL)

4.Shawn Springs (WAS)

5.Roderick Hood (PHI)

6.R.W. McQuarters (NYG)

7.Aaron Glenn (DAL)

8.Carlos Rogers (WAS)

9.Will Demps (NYG)

10.Curtis Deloatch (NYG)