Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Sean Taylor's Attorneys to File Motion to Dismiss

CPstretch

This is good news. I have no doubt in my mind that Taylor did wrong, but I don't give 2 :pooh: about the "victims."

Fact is Taylor did wrong to a couple of thugs that had it coming.

Here's to hoping that our criminal can get charged with battery after breaking TO in half next year.

:cheers:

I doubt they'll dismiss it though. It's pretty standard to try and get them to drop the charges before a trial. There's really no reason not to.

I do find it extremely hard to believe the prosecutor wasn't aware that his witnesses were recently arrested for various charges. I mean a high profile case like this that he's obviously going for full charge? I don't buy it.

Even so, I'm not sure if a judge would not allow the case to go forward even if the attourney witheld information. I bet the attourney will get reprimanded by the judge though.

I don't think it will go over very well with a jury how hard they are going after Taylor. 16 years in prison based on the words of three complete thugs?

I think this puts the whole "Beyond a reasonable doubt" thing in the spotlight.

These other kids are punks also. Who are you going to believe?

Yeah...all the state has is hearsay from some seedy individuals. Not exactly an air-tight case. I've said all along, this was a publicity stunt from the gitgo; Grieco is going to run for DA.

I think this puts the whole "Beyond a reasonable doubt" thing in the spotlight.

These other kids are punks also. Who are you going to believe?

Pretty simple, the upstanding Miami citizen without priors and strong ties to the community.

I don't know why this requires a dismissal? It seems rather stupid for the defense to file this now. Not that I'm suggesting that the defense should pretend it didn't learn this until the middle of trial, but if this info had come up in the middle of trial then that would be great grounds for a mistrial. It would be too late to use the new information against the witnesses. But as it stands now, this was discovered a week before trial and the defense may just need more time to investigate the allegations against the witnesses to be ready for trial. That can be remedied by a continuance.

Unless there's some Fla statute or discovery rule that would make a harsher remedy applicable or even mandatory - but I doubt that.

Yeah...all the state has is hearsay from some seedy individuals. Not exactly an air-tight case. I've said all along, this was a publicity stunt from the gitgo; Grieco is going to run for DA.

Hearsay is third party information. The prosecution has witnesses. There is a huge difference.

That being said, the witnesses lack any kind of credibility and ST really stands no chance of being convicted.

It's a standard tactic of all defense attorneys. The act of filing the motion takes time away from the DA who has to prosecute, because he will have to appear and defend his reasons for not having the case dismissed. While I hope it works, I wouldn't get too spun up over it.

Good luck, ST!

Im hoping this works, man im hoping this works. On the other hand this article seems like bad news, the DA seems intent on bringing ST down, that is a bad sign. This motion for dismissal might be a desperation attempt, or just one of many punches the defense plans to throw. Only time will tell, GL Sean Taylor

From my knowledge of lawyers, (I have a few friends in law school, and I know a couple older lawyers) any avenue for a dismissal should be tried. Sure, 9 times out of 10 the motion will not be granted, but it does not hurt to try.

I met a lawyer once who said to me, "Even if someone is guilty, you might as well plead not guilty anyway. No point in giving up without even having a trial."

Paraphrasing there, but you get the point.

(And no, he wasn't MY lawyer.)

Archived