Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ok - I have to know.

skinsaddict

The reason for it, being a geek myself, is because of the location of the letters on the keyboard. Owned, Pwned, and Iwned(although I've never seen that variation), have the same meaning, just different spellings to each.

I guess you could call it gamer lingo. If you've ever play video games online, you probably already know that they can be extremely high paced. And in such a fast paced environment you don't always have the time to pratice your spelling skills, lest you'll be fragged by one of your fellow gamers. So, when you've "owned" someone, in a game and you try to communicate that, by using the Team Chat or Chat option, you sometimes (since you're moving so fast) will hit the incorrect letter when spelling Owned, "P" and "I" are directly next to "O" on the keyboard. Not having the time to correct your spelling, or even look at what you just typed you submit it. And that's how "Pwned" came about, people just decided to keep it around.

And there you have it boys and girls, your daily geek session.

The reason for it, being a geek myself, is because of the location of the letters on the keyboard. Owned, Pwned, and Iwned(although I've never seen that variation), have the same meaning, just different spellings to each.

I guess you could call it gamer lingo. If you've ever play video games online, you probably already know that they can be extremely high paced. And in such a fast paced environment you don't always have the time to pratice your spelling skills, lest you'll be fragged by one of your fellow gamers. So, when you've "owned" someone, in a game and you try to communicate that, by using the Team Chat or Chat option, you sometimes (since you're moving so fast) will hit the incorrect letter when spelling Owned, "P" and "I" are directly next to "O" on the keyboard. Not having the time to correct your spelling, or even look at what you just typed you submit it. And that's how "Pwned" came about, people just decided to keep it around.

You learn something new everyday.. I am just not sure I can go around telling too many people about this without getting crazy looks and the "What the @%$# are talking about?" comments? :laugh:

Thanks for the info!

Now that was genuinely informative, SSM. I don't play video games online or otherwise for my free time (some of my buds do), so I would never have guessed the gaming thing. I deduced the keyboard angle, but assumed it was just laziness that made it popular.

Archived