Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NO retired 'Skins jerseys

RedskinsChief

Yes sir. That's the biggest reason Bobby Mitchell is no longer in contact with the team. He pretty much said that's the last straw, when some nobody back-up tight end was issued his (unofficially) "retired" number.

Yeah, I believe it was Leonard Stephens that got the number. Simply inexusible especially since Mitchell was a bigwig with the Skins at the time. He had a right to be pissed.

Yes sir. That's the biggest reason Bobby Mitchell is no longer in contact with the team. He pretty much said that's the last straw, when some nobody back-up tight end was issued his (unofficially) "retired" number.

That's because good old Marty fired the equipment manager who kept those jersey numbers out of circulation. The new equipment manager was unaware that 49 was one of those new numbers.

Shane MAtthews asked Sonny permission to wear #9, and Sonny told him he didn't care, but the fans will hate you, so he chose 6 instead.

Here is a old story from ESPN when Spurrier first came to Washington.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/news/2002/0513/1382067.html

" The Redskins have only retired one number -- Sammy Baugh's No. 33. But former equipment manager Jay Brunetti always kept certain numbers out of circulation. The untouchables were considered to be No. 3 (Mark Moseley), No. 7 (Theismann), No. 9 (Jurgensen), No. 42 (Charlie Taylor), No. 43 (Larry Brown), No. 44 (John Riggins), No. 49 (Bobby Mitchell) and No. 81 (Art Monk)."

Why not Darrell Green He was a great one.

I'm not a big fan of retiring numbers, I think it should work like this.... If a player (example Green #28) is worthy of having his jersey reitred, when a new player wants to wear 28 they should have to get permission from the Green.

With a warning (like Sonny said): "You will be hated"

Right Jeff George?

:D

I would highly doubt #28 is ever worn again, whoever tried that would be murdered...Might as well retire the rest of the numbers on that list as well. At least 9, 42, 43, 44, 49, and 81. Mosely and Theismann I'm iffy on as far as retiring.

Agreed! If Mosely and JoeyT. are in this class then (as far as I'm concerned) so should Doug Williams and Mark Rypien 11 and 17 be in the same boat...

9, 42, 43, 44, 49 and 81 are untouchable!!!

Didn't SOS issue #49 to a camp scrub a few years ago?

Yes, there was a TE who had it (Leonard Stephens?). BTW, Mitchell was not pleased.

I thought 28 was retired when Green retired. I could be wrong.

I think 70 is also protected, though Kip Vickers wore it briefly.

Yes, there was a TE who had it (Leonard Stephens?). BTW, Mitchell was not pleased.

When Stephens was a rookie, the equipment manager handed out #49 to him in training camp. It took some at camp LONGER to notice that #49 was Bobby Mitchell's number than it did to realize the numbers 7 and 9. THAT'S what upset Bobby. Mr. Snyder went to talked to Spurrier about this, and Spurrier then changed Stephens number to 48. He NEVER played a preseason or regular season game in the #49 jersey as a Redskin.

Agreed! If Mosely and JoeyT. are in this class then (as far as I'm concerned) so should Doug Williams and Mark Rypien 11 and 17 be in the same boat...

9, 42, 43, 44, 49 and 81 are untouchable!!!

Jason Campbell is from the south. Im told he idealises Doug Williams, and, i can see the similarities. Tall, nonchalant looking, calm, the "ive got a job to do" look.

Campbell wore 17 all through his college and high school career, so i say its fair to let him wear 17. It brings back great memories for my dad as well!!:applause:

I have been a Redskins fan since before birth and I am pretty sure a comment made during a Randle El posting is incorrect. It was stated that Slingin' Sammy's number is the only officially retired Skins jersey. I truly believe this is false...NO jersey has been retired by the Skins......

INPUT PLEASE???:gaintsuck

The only number retired is #33, worn by Sammy Baugh. Some numbers are "off limits" for the time being, like 81, 44, etc. but I see somewhere down the road those numbers being used again. The only Redskin jersey that is officiall retired is number 33, Sammy Baugh's...

Archived