Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NO retired 'Skins jerseys

RedskinsChief

I have been a Redskins fan since before birth and I am pretty sure a comment made during a Randle El posting is incorrect. It was stated that Slingin' Sammy's number is the only officially retired Skins jersey. I truly believe this is false...NO jersey has been retired by the Skins......

INPUT PLEASE???:gaintsuck

I have been a Redskins fan since before birth and I am pretty sure a comment made during a Randle El posting is incorrect. It was stated that Slingin' Sammy's number is the only officially retired Skins jersey. I truly believe this is false...NO jersey has been retired by the Skins......

Sammy is the only one officially retired.

People know not to touch the rest.

Here is a old story from ESPN when Spurrier first came to Washington.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/news/2002/0513/1382067.html

" The Redskins have only retired one number -- Sammy Baugh's No. 33. But former equipment manager Jay Brunetti always kept certain numbers out of circulation. The untouchables were considered to be No. 3 (Mark Moseley), No. 7 (Theismann), No. 9 (Jurgensen), No. 42 (Charlie Taylor), No. 43 (Larry Brown), No. 44 (John Riggins), No. 49 (Bobby Mitchell) and No. 81 (Art Monk)."

Here is a old story from ESPN when Spurrier first came to Washington.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/news/2002/0513/1382067.html

" The Redskins have only retired one number -- Sammy Baugh's No. 33. But former equipment manager Jay Brunetti always kept certain numbers out of circulation. The untouchables were considered to be No. 3 (Mark Moseley), No. 7 (Theismann), No. 9 (Jurgensen), No. 42 (Charlie Taylor), No. 43 (Larry Brown), No. 44 (John Riggins), No. 49 (Bobby Mitchell) and No. 81 (Art Monk)."

Yup, Baugh is the only officially retired jersey. The rest of those need to be retired though as the players who wore them certainly deserve it

didnt weurrfel try to take number 7?

I don't know if he tried or not...

but he wore 17:

wuerffel.jpg

Ugh...

bad memories - the "Fun and Gun" offense :doh: .

I love the throwbacks, but I am kind of glad we don't wear them anymore. I love our traditional home white.

I don't know if he tried or not...

but he wore 17:

wuerffel.jpg

Ugh...

bad memories - the "Fun and Gun" offense :doh: .

I love the throwbacks, but I am kind of glad we don't wear them anymore. I love our traditional home white.

I think we should wear them more often, I'm a big fan of them, and they're not breaking tradition by being black or anything like that

I think we should wear them more often, I'm a big fan of them, and they're not breaking tradition by being black or anything like that

Black?

Gibbs doesn't want to wear them so that is that.

They look good - but they are not the Redskins tradition of the Gibbs era.

I know Sammy's is retired. Wasn't Darrells retired at his last game? I know a lot of player Jerseys of unoffically retired. And most players ask permission to use the number, and the other players usally dont care, but fans and coaches sometimes do. E.g Jason Campbell asked permission from Doug Williams to use 17.

Actually, Only Sammy's is only one retired, just checked.

http://www.nfl.com/history/retired-numbers

Retired numbers

1. 33 Sammy Baugh

Note: Team policy since Baugh's retirement has been not to retire numbers. However, some are unofficially retired, like 9, Sonny Jurgensen's number. There is pressure on the Redskins to change this policy, or retire 28, Darrell Green's number.

I just saw that on http://www.reference.com/browse/wiki/Washington_Redskins

towards the bottom.

I would highly doubt #28 is ever worn again, whoever tried that would be murdered...Might as well retire the rest of the numbers on that list as well. At least 9, 42, 43, 44, 49, and 81. Mosely and Theismann I'm iffy on as far as retiring.

Uhh...no your wrong.

http://nflhistory.net/shared/retirednumbers.asp?Team=20

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/WAS/5332427

The NFL.com article:

"The Washington Redskins have only retired one number -- Sammy Baugh's No. 33. But former equipment manager Jay Brunetti always kept certain numbers out of circulation. The untouchables were considered to be No. 3 (Mark Moseley), No. 7 (Theismann), No. 9 (Jurgensen), No. 42 (Charlie Taylor), No. 43 (Larry Brown), No. 44 (John Riggins), No. 49 (Bobby Mitchell) and No. 81 (Art Monk)."

Didn't SOS issue #49 to a camp scrub a few years ago?

Yes sir. That's the biggest reason Bobby Mitchell is no longer in contact with the team. He pretty much said that's the last straw, when some nobody back-up tight end was issued his (unofficially) "retired" number.

If we retired all the deserving numbers, we'd end up having a number 000, a 1/2, a 3/5 and a bunch of other fractions. Think about all the numbers we'd lose...

3, 7, 9, 28, 32, 33(already gone), 42, 44, 53, 66, 68, 70, 81, 83, 84... and that's just off the top of my head.

im sorry for not having a link for this, but i vaguely remember from somewhere that Baugh was told he would be the only Redskin to have his jersey retired, so it was, but subsequently, since his number (33) is retired, all the preceding numbers had to be unnoffically retired to hold true to the promise made to him. am i wrong and just thinking things up or is that right?

Archived