Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFW: NFC EAST-The Way We Hear It / Whispers

bubba9497

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+Way+We+Hear+It/default.htm?mode=nfceast

The Way We Hear It

click link for full article

Dawkins: Eagles’ DBs made mistakes, but a fresh DL helps

Philadelphia

When asked by PFW what led to the Eagles’ problems in the secondary last season, FS Brian Dawkins was both honest and diplomatic. “N.D. (Kalu) was coming off an injury, and we were trying to depend on him. Then, we lost Jerome (McDougle) early in the year. After that, Darwin Walker got hurt. So the rotation was affected, and our defensive line is predicated on being fresh in the game and being rotated. So when you have these guys having to play more snaps than normal, it wears on them,” he said. Let the record show, though, that Dawkins wasn’t throwing his D-line teammates under the bus; rather, he feels the addition of DE Darren Howard — who will slide inside on some passing downs — and the return of a full defensive group, including CB Lito Sheppard, should help. Dawkins also made sure to mention his own group as a source of the problem too. “And then mistakes were made in the secondary. Some miscommunication. And after a while of giving up (big plays) and losing a little bit, you try to press and make more plays, and that cost us,” Dawkins told PFW.

Washington

The Redskins have concerns on defense, namely filling LaVar Arrington’s WLB spot and hoping that FS Sean Taylor avoids serious legal trouble in his assault and battery case, scheduled to begin April 10. But there’s also a lot to be excited about. First, the team was able to manage well without Arrington for the first part of last season and without him playing a large role in Gregg Williams’ scheme. The team might favor bringing back Warrick Holdman and pairing him with up-and-comer Chris Clemons situationally. Another exciting element of the defense is the versatility of DE Andre Carter and SS Adam Archuleta. Carter, penciled in as a starter at end, played as a rush ’backer in the 49ers’ 3-4 defense last season, and Williams is reportedly tossing around the idea of using more “30” fronts where Carter can stand up. And Archuleta, who has 15 career sacks, can line up in a variety of roles: like a strong-side ’backer playing the flats in cover-1 (man free) or cover-3 (three-deep zone) defenses, playing over tight ends in many alignments or blitzing the passer.

Whispers

Redskins LB Marcus Washington said he plans to step up into more of a vocal role now that LaVar Arrington has moved on. Washington already has earned his teammates’ approval and is a favorite of the coaching staff, so his leadership should be well-received.

We need to find somebody better than Holdman. That guy was like a ghost when he was out there. Just find any vet who can stuff the run on 1st down. The versatility that Carter & Archuleta bring with formations could really jump out our sack total this year.

Arrington was not a very big part of the defense over the past 2 seasons anyway and we still have finished high in the rankings without him, having him was more of a bonus, as for Taylor...well we wouldn't lose anything there because of Archuletta but I think we all like the idea of having them both, this only makes us better and Im glad we signed another CB with enough starting time to fill in for Springs when and if he goes down, I really wasn't feeling to good knowing we had only Jimoh for nickle situations.

We need to find somebody better than Holdman. That guy was like a ghost when he was out there. Just find any vet who can stuff the run on 1st down. The versatility that Carter & Archuleta bring with formations could really jump out our sack total this year.

Holdman was lucky that #53 and #98 can be found around the ball on any given defensive play, which hid his shortcomings many a game

Personally I can't wait to see Clemons take a bigger role. The kid is quick and average size. I think he can be a monster with some guidence. Secondly, with the way Daniels came on last season, I think our ends are set, and Griffin is huge in the middle. Our defense is set. Taylor and Archuleta?? Wow...

11. Please do not use the “Quote” feature to quote huge blocks of text or pictures.

If you would like to respond to the contents of a particular post, simply quote the sentence or idea that you're commenting upon, not necessarily the entire post. It wastes space on the database and unnecessarily extends and clutters threads.

honest appraisal by dawkins...

we are not gonna miss lavar at all this year. we just added wright who can blitz so we are going tobe even more flexible onthe defensive side of theball

agreed. holdman really contributed very little in terms of impact. it is really important for clemons to step up, but i expect that the team will either sign another linebacker or draft one with the second round pick

A relativley good article for the skins. Now sure about the Cowboys having the best reciever core, but oh well. I also agree that Holdman is not the man for the job, but I expect to draft a LB, and Clemons Holdman and who ever we draft to compete. In Gibbs we trust.

i thought the part about AA moving into a LB spot for a play or two sounded interesting...Greg Williams is always throwing new stuff out there...Did ST line up in the LB spot last year in any packages?

Redskins LB Marcus Washington said he plans to step up into more of a vocal role now that LaVar Arrington has moved on. Washington already has earned his teammates’ approval and is a favorite of the coaching staff, so his leadership should be well-received.

The new face of this franchise, or he should be, gotta love Marcusclaps.gif

Arrington was never and will never be a leader. So his leadership doesn't need to be replaced. What he was, when healthy and motivated, was a catalyst for the defense. He did get other players fired up when he made plays. If he was the only catalyst on our defense, then you worry about replacing him. But with players like Sean Taylor and Marcus Washington, we should be fine.

Redskins LB Marcus Washington said he plans to step up into more of a vocal role now that LaVar Arrington has moved on. Washington already has earned his teammates’ approval and is a favorite of the coaching staff, so his leadership should be well-received

Absolutely love this. Lavar may have been the face of the Redskins but Washington is the heart and soul. It is also noteworthy that Washington didn't overstep his bounds as he understood Lavar's role with the team. Total class. Washington is one guy that I never want to see leave the Skins.

Arrington was not a very big part of the defense over the past 2 seasons anyway and we still have finished high in the rankings without him, having him was more of a bonus, as for Taylor...well we wouldn't lose anything there because of Archuletta but I think we all like the idea of having them both, this only makes us better and Im glad we signed another CB with enough starting time to fill in for Springs when and if he goes down, I really wasn't feeling to good knowing we had only Jimoh for nickle situations.

I have to disagree with the opinion that it's a wash if we lose Taylor since we added Archuleta. The reason Archuleta was ineffective in St Louis was because he was used improperly. He's not a ball hawk and will not be able to replace what Sean does. The two of them back there is a huge upgrade, but Taylor plus Pierson, or Archuleta plus Pierson is a downgrade from Taylor and Clark.

Personally I can't wait to see Clemons take a bigger role. The kid is quick and average size. I think he can be a monster with some guidence. Secondly, with the way Daniels came on last season, I think our ends are set, and Griffin is huge in the middle. Our defense is set. Taylor and Archuleta?? Wow...

I agree. I like Clemons and expect more out of him this year.

Washington is the leader. Not having Lavar around will just make that more comfortable. It must have been weird with LaVar getting the media attention but Washington really being the leader.

Archived