Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Fletcher Will Not Visit Redskins

Fede

Fletcher Will Not Visit Redskins

Monday, April 3, 2006; Page E05

Free agent cornerback Jamar Fletcher has canceled today's scheduled visit to Redskins Park, according to a source with knowledge of the situation, and does not anticipate future negotiations with the club. Fletcher will visit other clubs this week instead, according to the source, who said the Redskins were close to signing another free agent cornerback.

Redskins Vice President of Football Operations Vinny Cerrato declined to comment when contacted last night. Fletcher spent last season with San Diego, and the Redskins have been in regular contact with his agent since last month. Washington has been seeking a nickel cornerback in free agency and brought in veteran Kenny Wright for a visit last month.

Wright was drafted in the fourth round by Minnesota in 1999 and spent three seasons with the Vikings and three with Houston before joining Jacksonville in 2005. He has three sacks and six interceptions in 100 regular season games.

-- Jason La Canfora

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/04/03/AR2006040300002.html

Looks like Wright is our man now?

Thanks for the link Fede. At 28 Wright isn't at the stage in his career where he's losing athletic ability. This should actually be some of his better years. He has 6 interceptions in his career and 2 of them came last year. Sounds like he's been stepping it up. I like this move so then we can concentrate on an OLB. Maybe Bobby Carpenter from Ohio State if he's still around?

It's more like the Redskins didn't want them after they apparently wrapped up Wright.

They didn't seem too hot about Fletcher to begin with.

Wright visited two weeks ago and the Redskins were only now scheduling Fletcher, maybe only to turn up the heat on Wright to sign.

I don't think it's a coincidence Wright evidently agreed to terms right after Fletcher was reported in the Post to be visiting us on Monday.

Enlighten me as to who Wright is? Forgive me, I must be oblivious.

I was hoping for Fletcher...he was most likely turned off by the fact that he wouldn't be a starter here. Sick of being a Nickel back, I suppose.

i think it is the skins who want wright more... he has a rep as being a more physical player

It's more like the Redskins didn't want them after they apparently wrapped up Wright.

They didn't seem too hot about Fletcher to begin with.

Wright visited two weeks ago and the Redskins were only now scheduling Fletcher, maybe only to turn up the heat on Wright to sign.

I don't think it's a coincidence Wright evidently agreed to terms right after Fletcher was reported in the Post to be visiting us on Monday.

is it definite that wright has agreed? a lot of chatter wothout much definite as far as i can read...

thank god we aint getting fletcher this guy sucks

no question, i think wright is abetter selection for the skins.. i think fletcher has perfected the grab, hold and flag move.. he seemed to get called a lot for it.. perhaps those were just the highlights they showed, but he seemed to be vulnerable to it.. JMHO

I was hoping for Fletcher...he was most likely turned off by the fact that he wouldn't be a starter here. Sick of being a Nickel back, I suppose.

If he doesn't want to be a nickel back, he should probably become better at, you know, covering people. If you can't start for SD, you can't really start anywhere.

I know you are just speculating but that is the problem with some of the nfl players today. You would think fletcher would see the redskins as a top defense the last few years, just upgraded their offense a lot and made the playoffs and won a road game last year. Not to mention has an execellent coaching staff and the organization is known for taking care of their players financially. The 2nd CB spot if he were to come here and work his ass off would be his if he outplayed rogers. And even if he didnt get the job he could at least take comfort that his competition probably drove rogers to get a little bit better than he would have been if he wasnt in a heated competition for the #2 spot. But no... he'd rather have the job handed to him somwhere else. Competition makes everyone better.

Hmmm...noticed that Wright is from Ruston, LA too....

Full Name: Kenny Wright

Born: September 14, 1977

Ruston, LA

Height: 6-1

Weight: 207 lbs. Age: 28

Pos: CB

Experience: 7 years

College: Northwestern State

wonder if he and Patrick played together?

thank god we aint getting fletcher this guy sucks

Yeah I didn't think he was anything special either. I'm kinda relieved because I know the Skins were gonna get outrageous signing him. He probably saw that everyone else has gotten paid coming here and he was looking for the same. :applause:

Thanks for the link Fede. At 28 Wright isn't at the stage in his career where he's losing athletic ability. This should actually be some of his better years. He has 6 interceptions in his career and 2 of them came last year. Sounds like he's been stepping it up. I like this move so then we can concentrate on an OLB. Maybe Bobby Carpenter from Ohio State if he's still around?

He will not be there when the skins pick.

Archived