Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

LATE ROUND GEM: Chris Gocong,DE/LB, Cal Poly

RamsTheMan

ChrisGocong.JPG Chris Gocong,DE/LB, Cal Poly

Height: 6-2 1/8 | Weight: 263 | 40-Time: 4.70

Strengths:

Makes a lot of plays in the backfield and simply has a knack for getting to the quarterback...Intense and competitive with a non-stop motor...Smart and a hard worker with top intangibles...Plays with good leverage...Displays good strength and power...Was extremely productive and absolutely dominated at his level.

Weaknesses:

Did not play against elite competition...Doesn't have the size or bulk you look for...Has trouble shedding blocks...Might not have the agility needed to change positions...Just a situational player?...'Tweener who may not have a pro position

Notes:

Won the Buck Buchanan Award as the top defensive player in NCAA Division I-AA football...Had 36.5 sacks over the last two seasons...Played defensive end in college but could move to outside linebacker in a 3-4 scheme at the next level.

Started all 11 games for the second straight year and led the nation in sacks with 17.5 for 109 yards ... finished second in the nation in tackles for lost yardage with 21.5 for 125 yards ... fourth on the team in total tackles with 71, including 48 solo stops ... notched first career interception in season opener against Humboldt State and also had two pass breakups, one fumble recovery, one blocked kick and two forced fumbles

Cal Poly defensive Chris Gocong was named the 11th winner of the Buck Buchanan Award tonight at the Division I-AA College Football Awards held in Chattanooga, TN on the eve of the I-AA national championship. The Buchanan Award is presented annually to the top defensive player in I-AA football.

A 6-foot-3, 265-pound senior, Gocong paced a Cal Poly defense that led the nation with 55 sacks. Gocong led all I-AA players in sacks with 19, and filled up the stat sheet with 24 tackles for a loss, 79 total tackles, 14 quarterback hurries, three forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries. Gocong played well in big games for a Cal Poly defense that spearheaded the team’s 8-3 record and first-ever playoff berth.

Pros:

Very instinctive. Has a nose for the ball. Quick off the snap, plays with good leverage, nonstop motor. Doesn't take plays off. Is good off the right or left side. Never leaves home without his tent because he camps out in the backfield. Excellent at putting pressure on an offense. Dominated at I-AA level, recording 23.5 sacks, 95 tackles (amazing for a DE), and 30 TFL. Very athletic, very explosive. Had a great 15 minutes of fame at the East-West Shrine Game, recording three tackles and numerous pressures. Athletic enough to move back to OLB in a 3-4 defense.

Cons:

Played in a 3-4 defense in college, but is better suited for playing DE in a 4-3 setup at the pro level. At 6'2", 263 lbs., questions linger about his size. Quick to the ball, but not fast. Could stand to get stronger and bulk up some. Finally, you get the questions about the level of competition. Never played at the top level of college and never got that experience, will he be able to successfully transition his game to the NFL against bigger, faster tackles. Can he maintain the point of attack against a strong running team, or will he be relegated to a defensive end that only goes in during passing situations?

Overall:

The winner of the Buck Buchanan award, given to the I-AA player of the year, is the second man in as many years from Cal Poly to win the award. Was the leader of one of the toughest defenses in I-AA. Cal Poly was in the top 15 in overall defense and led the nation in sacks against a tough schedule. Gocong is a very active DE and right now projects as a second day pick, but should move up pretty swiftly after the combine's over. Helped his draft status tremendously with his showing at the Shrine game. Should top out as a first-day pick. Has great potential but so many questions.

cgocong.jpg20050918ChrisGocong80.jpgs-41ad381891079-45-1.jpg

Archived