Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

USA Today: Redskin Team Report 4/1/6

bubba9497

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/redskins/home.htm

click link for full article

Inside Slant

A year ago, Joe Gibbs was wondering if he had made a mistake in ending a 12-year retirement to try to restore the Washington Redskins to the pinnacle of success to which he had them from 1981-92. But after the Redskins rallied to win their final five games and make the playoffs and added their first postseason victory in six years, the Hall of Fame coach is upbeat about what's ahead in 2006.

"The more you get a rhythm going, you're not quite as worried about everything," Gibbs said at the annual NFL spring meetings. "We had a miserable first year [6-10 in 2004] and that's real hard on you. So you go in the second year knowing you've got to make something happen. Being able to get 10 wins, that helps a lot. It gives the whole organization confidence. If we hadn't gotten into the playoffs, it would've been a real downer. Getting in the playoffs was somewhat of a turning point for us."

And Washington has maintained that momentum since the signing period began on March 11, adding possible starting receivers Antwaan Randle El and Brandon Lloyd, talented safety Adam Archuleta and legitimate pass rusher Andre Carter while losing only inconsistent linebacker LaVar Arrington, less imposing safety Ryan Clark and blocking tight end Robert Royal from the 2005 regulars.

"There are different ways that people feel like it should be done," Gibbs said in defending Washington's constant roster upheaval. "Any way that you can add a player, I don't care if it's a trade, the draft, free agency, I want to be aggressive. Free agency is a place where you make fewer mistakes because you're not trying to project somebody from a college environment to the pros. You've got somebody that has already played up here and been successful."

To that point, Gibbs said the free-agent class of 2004 is the core of his team.

"We've added high-quality players and we've had one miss (linebacker Micheal Barrow)," Gibbs said. "That free agency class the first year I came in ... Cornelius Griffin, Marcus Washington, Shawn Springs ... is the heart and soul of our team."

And Gibbs doesn't agree with many NFL observers that the Redskins overspent to add this year's crop of free agents.

"If there hadn't been a (collective bargaining) agreement, we weren't going to do much, but once we got the agreement and you add LaVar's piece to that, instead of our cap being $102 million, it was $106.4 million," Gibbs explained. "That gave us some flexibility. I don't think we went overboard. We certainly had some guys that we wanted to add to our team and we went after them. We had a gameplan there. We were able to get a lot done."

QUOTE TO NOTE: "There are no five-year plans. You go from year to year. [but] I certainly think this is where I am supposed to be. I signed up for a five-year deal and I plan on living up to it unless there is some kind of tragedy in my family." — Joe Gibbs, 65, who didn't rule out remaining beyond the January 2009 expiration of his contract.

Joe Gibbs really should become President or Mayor of Virginia or Maryland after his 5 year contract is up...

:dallasuck :cheers:

At the very least he should be King of DC. January 7, 2004. One of the greatest days of my life. Thank you God! (Picture the kid in Animal House)

This guy is a man amongst men. Is there really any question why legions of us follow him blindly. I have read it here many times before, but I'll say it again, "In joe Gibbs I trust"

He should run for president. He would get things straightened out.

Somehow, I'm not worried Gibbs about him going overboard with his religious beliefs. He seems to be able to keep them in balance with reality and other people.

He just seems to be able to bring out the best in people and reach a common goal.

as it turns out given salaries in the 2005 and 2006 offseasons the monies paid to Griffin, Washington and Springs now appear to be quite reasonable.

Exactly. The people who howl about overspending at the time of the signings are nowhere to be found when the players justify the money spent on them.

QUOTE TO NOTE: "There are no five-year plans. You go from year to year. [but] I certainly think this is where I am supposed to be. I signed up for a five-year deal and I plan on living up to it unless there is some kind of tragedy in my family." — Joe Gibbs, 65, who didn't rule out remaining beyond the January 2009 expiration of his contract.
I wonder if that means coaching, Team President, or both. :)

as it turns out given salaries in the 2005 and 2006 offseasons the monies paid to Griffin, Washington and Springs now appear to be quite reasonable.

Bingo, same will be true of AA ARE and BL. If you aren't over or hampered by the cap, there's no so such thing as overpayed in the NFL.

Hes too good of a man to become a politician...

:doh:

Good thought, though. :)

Our leaders should be the best society has to offer. We need someone like Joe Gibbs to come in and do what politicians in the past has promised.

We need integrity in the offices and someone to bring an environment of co-operation, self responsibility and team responsibility to government. His system works. Why not apply it to a nation?

For to long we have allow our office holder to lie to us.

You can't have affective government if you have convinced the people government is bad. Sure we need to always try to make it's more effective and balanced but always telling the people government is bad isn't accurate to our common goals.

Telling people lower taxes is always good is also a lie. You have to pay to fund the government which bring us many many things that allow us to have the very society and economy that allows you to have the business and jobs to make the money that is taxed. I don't see a huge line of people trying to start a business in Iraq. Why is this? They don't have our government or the safe society we have. They also don't have a middle class that can afford to purchase the goods. Also, stop the deficit spending. Common sense says you cant spend more then you make and it's immoral to pass the buck to your kids and their kids. This is why foreign policy is so important. The money spent invading Iraq could have been spend much more wisely.

We have to except the hard trust that the Government controls a lot of money and their are leader who will use that office to line the pockets of the businesses that fund the elections that put them into office. War is big money to the right companies.

Gibbs and Snyder may be aggressive but they do have a budget they have to stay in and they do. This country is run like the NHL and look what happen to them. This country needs and NFL model.

This country is run like the NHL and look what happen to them. This country needs and NFL model.

I agree with just about everything you said there, but I just want to see what you meant by these last couple of lines here. You do realize that the NFL is basically(I'm oversimplifying here-but not that much) a communist system? These comments here really don't seem to fit with the rest of what you said. I agree Joe Gibbs is a great leader, something our government is sorely lacking, but I'm not sure why you added the broader view at the end here.

BTW- the reason why people like Joe Gibbs can't become President is because the job qualifications have been changed by big business, the media and, to a lesser extent) the people. We don't need good leaders anymore, we need people who say they are good leaders. :doh:

I wonder if that means coaching, Team President, or both. :)

This is something I thought of recently. It seems to me that a lot of these sports writers forget the Gibbs is also the Team President. I read from a writer (can't remember who) that the Redskins will possibly be in "cap hell" once Gibbs is done with coaching. Do they really believe he will go back to NASCAR and forget the Redskins?

He should run for president. He would get things straightened out.

Somehow, I'm not worried Gibbs about him going overboard with his religious beliefs. He seems to be able to keep them in balance with reality and other people.

He just seems to be able to bring out the best in people and reach a common goal.

It is his "religious beliefs" that make Joe Gibbs what he is. He states very plainly in his books that his faith is the reason for his success in life. His being a Christian is his "reality". He is far more than "talk the talk", he most importantly, "walks the walk" of a Christian.

It is his "religious beliefs" that make Joe Gibbs what he is. He states very plainly in his books that his faith is the reason for his success in life. His being a Christian is his "reality". He is far more than "talk the talk", he most importantly, "walks the walk" of a Christian.

It certainly is a large part of why he is such a great man and great coach. But the greatest thing about his religious beliefs is not only does he use it as a guiding force but that he also seperates it from his coaching duties. I remember Outside the Lines had a segment on coach Gibbs and his religious beliefs and they had interviewed Lennie Friedman who at the time was a backup center and guard and he being a Jew said that Gibbs never brought his religious beliefs into coaching, therefore creating a comfortable environment not only for Freidman but for every player. Just shows what a great man Gibbs really is. Plus i cant understand why anyone would still doubt this man or in the first place at all.

Archived